Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
BOTH. As in the chassis, body, and suspension are standard. But the engine and drivetrain are metric.

Being as an engine repair prob won't be done in the trails, u could theoretically get by with standard.

Personally, I carry everything I can. Not just to cover me, but anyone else who's broken down on the trails. If your willing to help others, it's spreads the thought that others should be willing to help you.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Ummm.....my '09 suspension is 100% metric. Skid plate and clutch cover are 3/8" socket on 1/4-20 bolts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ummm.....my '09 suspension is 100% metric. Skid plate and clutch cover are 3/8" socket on 1/4-20 bolts.
Ummmm.... You do realize that some standard sizes are the same as some metric sizes right? Like how a 1/2" is a 13mm and a 7/16" is a 11mm.

Yes the clutch cover uses 3/8 and the clutch backing plate uses 7/16. But the engine uses metric. I'm sorry if the word drivetrain being added under metric upset you. ;)

You should also carry a torques bit socket set. Believe a T25, T27, and T30 should be all you need.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Ummmm.... You do realize that some standard sizes are the same as some metric sizes right? Like how a 1/2" is a 13mm and a 7/16" is a 11mm.

Yes the clutch cover uses 3/8 and the clutch backing plate uses 7/16. But the engine uses metric. I'm sorry if the word drivetrain being added under metric upset you. ;)

You should also carry a torques bit socket set. Believe a T25, T27, and T30 should be all you need.
Ummmm, Jay, I have been a mechanic for 40 plus years. And yes, I am aware that a few Metric and SAE sizes are first cousins. But Metric is Metric, and SAE is SAE, and the threads don't match in any instance. And I'm not upset;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ummmm (lol) he wasn't talking about threads for die & tap sets. He asked about what wrenches to carry. :)

I'm glad someone around here gets sarcasm. Its all good RMR.

·
Addicted
3,649 Posts
Technically, they are NOT the SAME, but they are pretty darn close. Close enough to be able to interchange wrenches/sockets without fear of ruining bolt heads.

I carry a set of metric and sae with me while riding, along with a full set of torx among other tools.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
..... But Metric is Metric, and SAE is SAE, ....
(yellow hand clap)
Your RZR is the last thing you want to be half-assed with trying sockets or hex wrenches that are "close" in size.
Go get the correct tool.

When you powdercoat a frame the first thing you do is go to the hardware store and match all the metric threads to chase the powder.
Some are 1.0mm some are 1.5mm pitch. Cant remember which but you get the idea. Better be organized the day you do it. I'm doing a 2nd one and my little system is still spread out waiting.

·
Registered
759 Posts

Technically, they are NOT the SAME, but they are pretty darn close. Close enough to be able to interchange wrenches/sockets without fear of ruining bolt heads....
try your drain plugs with "close" and report back.
No doubt I'm so freakn paranoid about the cluster f of sizes it often takes me longer to figure out which size is the exact fit than it actually dose to get the job done. One thing I've learned if its not the perfect fit u better find the perfect fit or ur going to cause yourself one hell of a headache in the long run.

·
Addicted
3,649 Posts
My point was, as RMR Man stated, Metric is Metric; SAE is SAE. They are not the same.

I have, and carry the correct tool for the job. In a pinch, some sizes (not all) can interchange, if used cautiously, in some applications....

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
And then there is this: the spark plugs use a 5/8" socket, but the threads are 14 mm.
Who in the hell was in charge of that fiasco?:rollfinger:

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Ahhhh, vise grips! The true One Size Fits All tool in your collection!
And then there is this! Every car in the world rides on tires based on "Inches". Even the french & Canadians, both of which would rather choke on a chicken bone, than to recognize the US system of measurements!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wtf is your alls prob? I answered with the correct answer of both. I doubt anyone here has questioned that and as a matter of fact has proven me correct. Yes I said suspension was metric. I was wrong. There's no need for the quoting and humility u are showing. And anyone who says a 13mm will round off a 1/2" or that a 11mm will round off a 7/16" is purely retarded. Yes thread difference is night and day. But this thread was asking about what wrenches should the guy carry. We all have came to the same conclusion that both should be.

I was lol'ing with RMR and everyone had to butt in. I've been a mechanic for about 10 years and trust me, unless your an idgit, some standards and metrics work just fine with each other. And your drain bolt shouldn't be so tight that a close wrench should round it off the first time you need to loosen it on the trail. I believe 16ft lbs is all it should be. Maybe it's 22? Just spit balling.

Everyone takes this stuff too seriously, like it matters what people think about how their rep is on Internet forums. For those people I'll say it again - I apologize for sayin that some metric and some standard will interchange. I was wrong.

Happy now?

Edit- I check drain bolt torque for xp and according to Polaris both the engine drain bolt and the reservoir bolt are 12ft lbs

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Wtf is your alls prob? I answered with the correct answer of both. I doubt anyone here has questioned that and as a matter of fact has proven me correct. Yes I said suspension was metric. I was wrong. There's no need for the quoting and humility u are showing. And anyone who says a 13mm will round off a 1/2" or that a 11mm will round off a 7/16" is purely retarded. Yes thread difference is night and day. But this thread was asking about what wrenches should the guy carry. We all have came to the same conclusion that both should be.

I was lol'ing with RMR and everyone had to butt in. I've been a mechanic for about 10 years and trust me, unless your an idgit, some standards and metrics work just fine with each other. And your drain bolt shouldn't be so tight that a close wrench should round it off the first time you need to loosen it on the trail. I believe 16ft lbs is all it should be. Maybe it's 22? Just spit balling.

Everyone takes this stuff too seriously, like it matters what people think about how their rep is on Internet forums. For those people I'll say it again - I apologize for sayin that some metric and some standard will interchange. I was wrong.

Happy now?

Edit- I check drain bolt torque for xp and according to Polaris both the engine drain bolt and the reservoir bolt are 12ft lbs
Jay, it's all in good fun! Sometimes we pop off with something that sounds harsh. I hope I didn't offend you. What I meant by my ummmm comment, was, am I the only guy that has metric nuts and bolts on my suspension.
All the other clamor is purely sarcasm, which is rarely in short supply here! All is good:ride:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts