Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so does anyone close to me have these on their RZR? The Maxxis Mudzilla!! Had a simlar tire on my honda loved them for the riding i do. If anyone is close would love to go for a ride to see how the ride on the hard pack. If i like will be on their way just alot of money for a tire and end up not liking. JIM

·
Registered
112 Posts
The mudzilla is a good tire compared to an all terrain like a mudlite. However, compared to a Highlifter Outlaw or Gorilla Silverback, they're not close. I've had mudzillas, outlaws, and silverbacks. The Outlaws and Silverbacks are definitely two of the best mud tires out right now. The mudzilla's aint bad, just not the best tires IMO for pure mud riding.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep i know they are not an all out mud tire but they fit into the riding i do. Im not in the mud all the time. Lots of dirt, sand , and hard pack. Need a tire that will do well in all the mud-lites do ok but i need more for the mud. Than what they can give me and the tread has been coming apart on them and they wont do anything so no more of my money to them was going to go with 30" mud-lites until they started cracking and coming apart.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Too heavy ,hard on wheel bearings because of the unbalanced lug pattern and not great on the trail or at speed. The Zilla`s are a lot better all around tire and if it is just mud, as above Laws or Backs rule....

·
Registered
112 Posts
The mudzilla's are a digging (tread is based off the center of the tire) tire so they wouldn't be good in sand. They also ride somewhat rough on hardpack. Don't get me wrong, they're not a bad tire at all, but i don't think it's the best tire for what you're riding in. I'd almost say the 29.5" outlaws would suit you better for your riding. They ride a little rougher than an all terrain, but i think the mudzilla's ride a little worse. Also look into the Zilla's. They're lighter and ride good, and hole their own in just about any situation.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I run 30 / 11 Zilla`s on all four corners . They hold there own in the mud , handle great at spead, don`t rob all your power and best of all they have a nice relation ship with my axles .....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
mudzillas look awesome.............and thats about it. The tread that runs radially with the tire have no grip in mud. A real mud tire has treads that are nearly straight across and dont overlap in the center. With the mudzilla you're only getting about 1.5" wide tread pushing against the mud. They will cut and dig you down. Depending on what kind of "mud" you have maybe thats what you need though. Those mudzillas are also rough on hard stuff and heavy. but, they do look sweet.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have 27 inch zillas. They ride a little rough on the hard pack but are pretty awesome in the mud and soft dirt. Dont really go fast, just crawl n mud.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have had mudzillas for a long time now, they were on my previous wheeler and those were 28x12x12 rear 28x10x12 fronts, I now have 30x11x 14 on rear of my new rzr and 30x9x14 on the fronts. and i have had no problems going anywhere the outlaws went, and actually made out better on more than one occasion.. My opinion is they are just as good as laws or backs... they all 3 ride rough on hard stuff..

·
Registered
402 Posts
My suggestion would be the Zillas, I swap between them and my 'Backs and have to say I am always impressed with their performance. They are light and will actually crawl thru some mud and would definately be easier on your bike than the Mudzilla.

P.S. I rode beside a guy on hard pack between 5 & 10 mph when I had my 'Backs on mine and he had Mudzilla's on his, he wasn't even able to carry on a conversation for the ruff ride. It was kinda funny, to me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's what he's saying. I've had zillas, mudzillas, laws, and backs and the mudzilla's do ride rougher than a back or law.

roopaui- the mudzilla's are not a bad tire by any means, they're good in the mud for sure. I've never had them not make it through a hole that an outlaw or back would(same machine). I can say for sure though that the backs and laws make it much easier to get through just from my experience. The "mudding" styles are completely different with the mudzilla's compared to the laws/backs. The mudzillas need a good amount of wheel speed to be able to clean out whereas a law/back tend to like a slow wheel speed and like to "paddle" rather than "slice" through the mud.

In the end it's all in what you like and if YOU will be satisfied. Opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey guys,

Rather than start a new thread with my question, thought I’d try to resurrect this one because the posters here can probably answer this for me. I’m running an ’08 RZR with 3” Xtreme lift, progressive rate springs and 1” wheel spacers. Started out with 27” XTRs on 12” wheels, then 28x14 Swamp Lites, now 28x14 Zillas. I like the Zillas for all around performance and ride quality (smooth at low speed) but a friend put Silverbacks on his SP recently and damn, that’s an impressive mudder! I’d like to mount up a set of 28x12 ‘backs on the RZR but I’m concerned about ride quality at lower speeds. We mud, we don’t race around (much). Most of our riding (80%) is hardpack between the mud holes, some rocks, but when we find mud it’s serious stuff, mostly either swamp or slippery clay-based. That clay will ball up a tire in no time. I like the idea of a tire that cleans out better at a lower rpm than the higher rpm required by Swamp Lites and Zillas.

Since we rarely ride faster than about 30-35 and prefer challenging trails that keep us more in the 10-15 mph range will the ‘backs negatively affect the ride / handling? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Flood,

yes backs ride rough at low speed, if you are riding more trails and a little mud here and there, i would suggest keeping the zillas or mudlites or something like that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey, thanks for the info. Even though they get high rankings here I’d never go back to (bias ply) Mud Lites again. Had ‘em on a Sportsman and a full size Ranger. They ride rough and they are the worst mileage ATV tire I’ve ever had (we put on up to 3000 miles a year, they barely last a season). Best thing I can say about them is they’re light and they’re relatively cheap.

My friend who has the new ‘backs was running Kenda Executioners and he feels the ‘backs ride much smoother than the Kendas, which isn’t really saying much, although he’s very happy with the ‘backs performance in snow and mud. They’re a great looking tire with good spacing for clean-out and wrap-around side lugs for good grab but I don’t want ‘em rattling my teeth at low speeds. Thanks for sharing your experience!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts