Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to this gps thing
Just setup a Samsung galaxy tablet for my rzr. I have bought and downloaded backcountry navigator pro.

I'm wondering what map you guys use? I'm in Southern California and do most of my riding in the Johnsonvalley area.

I've gone through a lot of the maps that are available from bcn but haven't found one thatI like
I would like to find one that's a satellite view, with roads and trails marked. I like one of the topo maps but I don't like all the curvature and I'm guessing altitude markings?
Just looking for a simple plain satellite view with road markings.

Kind of like Google maps.
Any recommendations?

Thank you

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get the OsmAnd app free from the Google play store. Amazing functionality. Large selection of free background maps, topo, sat, highway, marine, aviation. Turn by turn spoken navigation. Great track management. Great poi search capability, real time tracking, open source program and maps. More...

Nothing else comes close.

BackwoodsGPStrails.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll post up my $.02. I have Galaxy Tab A, 256Gb card in it. I have been running GAIA GPS for about a year now, have zero complaints and recommend it to all of our group members out here.
Where we trail ride, cell service is not available in spots, so I rely on the GPS 100%. I have downloaded the satellite maps onto the SD card. Roughly 100 mile x 100 mile area with a resolution of about 20 feet.
I have found it to be very accurate, fast and outperforms our friends with onboard Ride Command ( that system is laggy). I can trace out a route in either their built in feature or p-line one through Google earth and export/sync to the tablet. Record an unknown ride and download the background map after to fill in the spots.

It saved my last big group ride. Heavy rain made one trail impassable, complete wash out. Funny part, no driver believed me after we stopped. So here comes this parade of 14 drivers down the trail with the look of "Stop being a wimp, we can do this". That changed to heads down and the walk of "Nope" back to their cars. Washout was 6' deep 12' wide. Little scrolling around on the map while others were looking for a cell signal, I found a alternate route and we completed the ride.

Not saying it is the best, just another option. This link should give you a free 3month premium trial, just hit the redeem button https://www.gaiagps.com/premium/?PROMO=WTA
Play around, read some of the quick tutorials about setting location as well as activating the map tilt function in settings. I have it set up so my wife can see the 'turn by turn', similar to her familiarity with Google driving maps. So much less chatter on the intercom about missed turns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
I'm new to this gps thing
Just setup a Samsung galaxy tablet for my rzr. I have bought and downloaded backcountry navigator pro.

I'm wondering what map you guys use? I'm in Southern California and do most of my riding in the Johnsonvalley area.

I've gone through a lot of the maps that are available from bcn but haven't found one thatI like
I would like to find one that's a satellite view, with roads and trails marked. I like one of the topo maps but I don't like all the curvature and I'm guessing altitude markings?
Just looking for a simple plain satellite view with road markings.

Kind of like Google maps.
Any recommendations?

Thank you

View attachment 642525
I have the exact same tablet and Ram mount but I have an aftermarket cage so I don’t have the extra 3’ of headroom 🤪 so it’s mounted on passenger hand grip. I even use the multitasking split screen like that too.

I am using Gaia premium. Only been using it for a few weeks but on a recent trip to Tonto NF in AZ it worked really well. It’s like having every map/chart ever made by a government entity(theres more than you might think). The ability to overlay several maps simultaneously and adjust the transparency level of overlay is well worth the $40 annual subscription. It has a ton of features I have not seen on any other app. Pre trip routing is a breeze and even shows an elevation profile of the route.

That being said, I also have google terrain map and satellite downloaded for offline use. Google satellite imaging is way more recent(0-2 years) than the Gaia(4-7 years). Recent satellite imagery is really important for those of you that live in areas with a lot of vegetation, not so much for us desert dwellers.

I also have the Polaris Ride Command app installed and have played around with it a little but it’s way too buggy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll post up my $.02. I have Galaxy Tab A, 256Gb card in it. I have been running GAIA GPS for about a year now, have zero complaints and recommend it to all of our group members out here.
Where we trail ride, cell service is not available in spots, so I rely on the GPS 100%. I have downloaded the satellite maps onto the SD card. Roughly 100 mile x 100 mile area with a resolution of about 20 feet.
I have found it to be very accurate, fast and outperforms our friends with onboard Ride Command ( that system is laggy). I can trace out a route in either their built in feature or p-line one through Google earth and export/sync to the tablet. Record an unknown ride and download the background map after to fill in the spots.

It saved my last big group ride. Heavy rain made one trail impassable, complete wash out. Funny part, no driver believed me after we stopped. So here comes this parade of 14 drivers down the trail with the look of "Stop being a wimp, we can do this". That changed to heads down and the walk of "Nope" back to their cars. Washout was 6' deep 12' wide. Little scrolling around on the map while others were looking for a cell signal, I found a alternate route and we completed the ride.

Not saying it is the best, just another option. This link should give you a free 3month premium trial, just hit the redeem button Premium Membership | Gaia GPS
Play around, read some of the quick tutorials about setting location as well as activating the map tilt function in settings. I have it set up so my wife can see the 'turn by turn', similar to her familiarity with Google driving maps. So much less chatter on the intercom about missed turns.
As I posted in this thread, I too am a Gaia premium subscriber. I have a problem with the tilt function and I’m wondering if you noticed it too.
When I tilt the map, the resolution gets more and more blurry the farther up the screen to the point that road/street names become unreadable. I’m not sure if this is the result of poor map resolution or an artificially generated, shallow depth of field.
I have expressed my concerns to the people at Gaia so...
The other thing I thought could use improvement was the ability to center, off center when tilted and in the “always up” mode. That way you would be able to see more ahead of you and less behind.
These are nitpicky things though and am overall very satisfied.

·
Registered
27 Posts
@Capt. Slew

I found this function to be useful. The hourglass looking icon.
Hope that helps.

Another thing improve the tablet is in Developer Options, turn on <Force GPU Rendering> and <Enable 4x MSAA>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts