Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,534 Posts
Some of the manual tensioners are having issues. In both cases the chain was kinked.This causes the chain to skip timing and bend valves.

I have 2 friends this has happened to in the last 3 weeks. I am taking my manual tensioner out for now until they figure it out.

The Polaris chains are failing and are on national backorder. Polaris is aware of the situation and once again is doing nothing about it.

Am I missing something here??? How is the tensioner the cause for failure, unless installed incorrectly?

How is the tensioner causing a chain to kink? Please enlighten as to how this wass determined?

You have 2 friends with the exact same problem, happening within 3 weeks of each other....talk about coincidence....does it happen to be the same guy installing these manual tensioners on your friends cars?

Did an interweb search as well, I can find absolutely nothing as it relates to the actual timing chain failing....not sure if the "problem" is as wide spread as you indicate. Maybe your 2 buddies are just lucky enough to be on the tip of the spear......

I can see if you get the manual tensioner too tight you can stretch or break a chain. Get it too loose and you can jump a tooth or two. Both conditions have bad consequences. Then add time and wear and the manual tensioner needs to be adjusted or again you could jump a tooth or two. Add thermal effects of the difference in thermal expansion rates of aluminum and steel (aluminum is about 2X steel). Set the manual tensioner at ambient temperature and as the engine heats up the chain gets tighter. Haven't done it but I'd consider adjusting the manual tensioner with engine at temperature and running. Use sound as the adjusting factor.

The hydraulic tensioner is a compromise and works off oil pressure. Use the wrong oil viscosity and your tensioner force is different. Use the wrong oil filter without an oil drain back feature and you do dry starts. That means the chain is loose on startup and rattles until you get oil pressure. BTW everything else moving in the engine is dry too. So I'd recommend at least using factory equivalent specified oil and filter. Polaris has done significant engineering and durability testing to find the best combination.

Pick your poison (manual or hydraulic), there is no free lunch.

Well said.

Alex

·
Product Tester
1,670 Posts
The chains come out kinked with two different brand tensioners. With the stock tensioner the chain is not kinking. Pretty hard to install wrong. That's the question exactly, how is the tensioner causing the chain to kink? Both guys live in different states. There is no discussion yet on this but it will come to light soon. I'm taking mine out. You leave yours in. You might be missing something.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First off I would really reccoment buying a factory service manual.
Next buy the Boondocker tentioner, it's $200,00 but thats a lot cheaper than
bent valves, let alone missing out on a weekend of fun because you jumped your cam chain. It's fully automatic so you dont have to mess with adjusting it. Iv'e been running one since my XP1000 was new with no issues.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts