Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Lowering the XP for better handling

12K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  midgetdigit 
#1 ·
I was watching some XP videos on YouTube last night and I watched one where a guy,who seemed knowledgable, said that unless you are doing lots of big jumps, you should adjust the shocks down and drop the XP 2". He said this makes the XP handle dramatically better for nearly every kind of riding!

What is the forum consensus on this?

#4 ·
I already get high centered, but I do a lot of rock crawling. I think he is wrong it wont improve handleing in almost every kind of riding but I am sure it will in fast flat riding.
Mudding I doubt it but maybe
Crossing water no
Rock Crawling no
Sand dunes maybe I don't do it so I don't really know
trails depends but I will give it a strong maybe
Street yes
Jumps and woops no

I may have forgot some but IMO don't do it unless your racing on flat tracks all the time and in dirt I don't even think you will get a benifit.

#6 ·
The video was from ATV Television Tech, the You Tube video was titled RZR 900 Suspension Basics & Lowering, and the guy's name is Doug Meyer. He seemed like a professional of some sort...not that that really means anything, but, his point was that lowering the XP allowed for much greater drop of the tire/wheel and made for much faster transitions through the whoops, and much better grip when rock crawling etc. Of course it also lowers the center of gravity which allows for greater stability and faster cornering. His take was that the only place where the stock hieght was better, is when doing big jumps. ??

Check out the video and see if any of it makes sense to you.

#16 ·
#14 ·
I seen that video as well, but there are ups and downs to it ya know. If your more into easy going kind of riding, nothing with any kind of ruts or uneven terrain i can see where it benifits, but besides that i cant see dropping two inches of ride height as being an improvement over anything.

#18 ·
I lowered mine 1 1/2" and love it.
Way more stable and increased my high speed compression and guess what...
No bottoming out!
If your jumping BIG then the suspension is going full droop and I have the same travel as any other xp when it lands.
I ride as hard as anybody else too.
The bottom does drag more in the rock but that is why you buy a utv inc skid!
I don't do mud and could see where it wouldn't help there but everything else is better to me.

#20 ·
I do all dune riding and to stop the bucking and noise diving i took a 1/2 in out of the front and rear and needless to say that made a huge difference!! Now im not afraid to launch mine off and hill or big drop off and i havent bottom out yet and im 70 the whole way through the dunes here in michigan. I wasnt sure about the whole 1-2 inches so i just did a half inc and glad i did!!

#21 ·
With my stock suspension I took out all the preload in the rear then tightened it up 1/2 turn which lowered the rear 1.5". Then lowered the front 0.5". Increased compression 2 clicks in the front, 1 click in the back. Bucking was reduced significantly. Suspension doesn't bottom out over jumps, handles much better through the whoops because of the increased downward travel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.