Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put together low range only gear reduction and been installing here locally. 21% reduction in low range only, works wonderful with 30" tires while crawling. Is a big improvement with 32's. We are working on another setup, 33% reduction in Low, 12% reduction for Reverse, High range stays stock ratio. Should work great for 32" and larger tires. I will have the first 33% set installed next week for trial. If there is enough interest on here I will sell them as a kit for you to install.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would possibly be interested. thinking about doing gear reduction after I get my duraclutch.
You bet. Duraclutch and gear reduction is as good as it gets for crawling. Shoot me a PM when you get ready.
Carl

·
Registered
744 Posts
RZR Works, so you are taking the low gear from the 570 and installing it into the regular 1000XP which gives the same reduction as the highlifter in low? You are marketing this as a kit now? This information is readily available on the internet. Or are you running another setup.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
RZR Works, so you are taking the low gear from the 570 and installing it into the regular 1000XP which gives the same reduction as the highlifter in low? You are marketing this as a kit now? This information is readily available on the internet. Or are you running another setup.
I assume you are talking about the reverse shaft from a 570? No sir, that would lower everything, H-L-and R. My kits only lower Low range for the 21% kit. Kit #2 reduces Low 33%, Rev 12 %, High is 2% faster or 12% lower. You get to keep your "go-fast" if you choose to go with either one of these. Changing the reverse shaft is cheaper, (fewer parts) but you will lose high range speed. I can put together a third option which will give you 47% reduced Low, 26% reduced Rev, 26% or 12% reduced High. These options are for '16-'18 model XP1K. '14-'15 models can only do Reverse shaft change unless they want to change to a '16 secondary clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have put together low range only gear reduction and been installing here locally. 21% reduction in low range only, works wonderful with 30" tires while crawling. Is a big improvement with 32's. We are working on another setup, 33% reduction in Low, 12% reduction for Reverse, High range stays stock ratio. Should work great for 32" and larger tires. I will have the first 33% set installed next week for trial. If there is enough interest on here I will sell them as a kit for you to install.
Does this work for a 2016 900s?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have a 900 that I did the reverse shaft 27% reduction to and it works great cause it's my dedicated crawler. I now have a 17 XP4 on 32's that is more of a family style trail rig . I think around 10-12 % would get me back to stock. But a little more grunt in low would be good to . Is it possible to lower high and reverse by about 12 % and low by around 22-27 %. I don't want to get to low.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does this work for a 2016 900s?
Sorry for the delay, only just got notified with Jacksonjack. Yes, works with '16 900S. I have several options available depending how low you want to go. Still lets you maintain all or most of your High range speed, depending on the kit you choose. Look me up in the vendor thread, I have the available options for your machine listed there. PM me which kit you're interested in and I give you a quote.
Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For you other two fellers, the 2016 and newer XP4's have some weird gearing from the factory. The only benefit from that is they are cheaper parts wise to do a reduction. Jacksonjack, I can get you exactly what you want, 14% lower High and Reverse, and 26% lower Low. The problem with that setup is I don't have it available with HD chain. If its the family rig and you don't put it in a terrible bind in Rev or shock load the chain, you'll be fine.
The other kits available are:
#2: High and Reverse unchanged, Low is 33% lower, has HD chain
#3: 47% Low, High and Reverse 14% reduced, has HD chain
#4: 47% Low, Reverse 14%, High unchanged, has HD chain
Let me know if any of these interest you, Carl

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I am interested in the 33%...what's it like to install??
If you're mechanically inclined, and from reading your posts Jamie I think you can handle it, its not brain surgery. Your first one taking your time and lots of pictures, will take about 8-9 hrs. Elevate the machine so you're not bent over all day. Unhook shift cable and electrical connectors on the right side. Remove rear tires, unbolt the bottom of the shocks and outer radius rods. Leave the outside axle attached, pull the axle out of the tranny the lower the axle, hub, trailing arm to the floor and scoot under the machine out of the way. Pull the bottom of the shocks forward and out and secure with string. Remove clutches and cover. Cut some wood wedges and place them under engine and tranny. Unbolt the tranny and wiggle it rearward. Remove the engine/tranny coupler. Twist the left side of the tranny rearwards to slide the driveline off. Pull the tranny out and place on a workbench with the input shaft down. Pull the cover off the shift shaft carefully, there is a spring in there that will land in the next county if you lose control of it. Remove everything in there then remove all the bolts in the case halves. There are three pry points to separate the halves. Lift the shift fork shaft slightly and remove the shift drum. Lift the shift fork shaft again and remove it. Now while lifting and wiggling the input shaft/reverse shaft assembly, lift/wiggle the idler gear with the other hand and the input/reverse shaft will come out as an assembly. Remove bearings from the shaft ends and one gear from the reverse shaft, that will loosen the reverse chain enough to remove it and that will separate the two shafts. Take pics. Unstack the gears/snap rings/shims/ shift cogs in a manner that will allow you to put them back on in the correct manner. Re-assemble everything in the opposite order. Once the shafts are back in the left half you can rotate the shift drum and check that all gears are aligning correctly. Install back into the machine. I do recommend SDI alignment tool for the clutches. Other than that just regular hand tools. SEE... nothin to it!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I just did this conversion. 12% reduction in high, 26% in low and reverse.
Upgraded my 14 to a 16 secondary shaft and reverse chain.
Did it over a few days. kind of intimidating, but if you stare at it long enough it makes sense.
took about 6 hours total after the trans was out.
Carl was very helpful over the phone with tricks and experience.

EDIT: Also to note these were all top quality pieces. I rented (free) a bearing puller from NAPA and used two PVC short pieces and a block of wood as a press.
One or two of the bearings needs that pitchfork splitter tool, or some other creativity to get off, as you cant get the jaws under them.

Everything went back together, no misalignment, worked like stock. It will be a few months before I can run it since im doing a motor swap. Plan is to run 32" tires and have a trail/crawler desert rig with occasional dune trips

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just did this conversion. 12% reduction in high, 26% in low and reverse.
Upgraded my 14 to a 16 secondary shaft and reverse chain.
Did it over a few days. kind of intimidating, but if you stare at it long enough it makes sense.
took about 6 hours total after the trans was out.
Carl was very helpful over the phone with tricks and experience.
Thank you very much! I just saw your build thread this evening, that thing is gonna be SWEET! when you get it together.

·
Registered
168 Posts
MAN, I would be SUPER interested in a 47% Low, High and Reverse 14% reduced for a 2017 XP4 Turbo!! Any news on this?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MAN, I would be SUPER interested in a 47% Low, High and Reverse 14% reduced for a 2017 XP4 Turbo!! Any news on this?
Well, only that that is a gear set that I offer for XP1K. Not available yet for XPT4. I can get you another 14% lower in all three ranges for the '17 XPT4.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts