Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the last trail ride I went through a puddle and suddenly the engine lost power and started to run rough, coughing, sputtering, occasionally backfiring and wouldn't rev up over 3500 rpm. The puddle was only about a foot or a little more deep. I had to get towed back and even after it sat and dried out it still ran the same.

Even tho a couple weeks ago I rode thru 2.5 ft. deep water for 1/2 mile with no problems we figured water must have gotten into an electrical connection.
The " check engine" light has not come on. I've cleaned all connections related to the ECU, CPS, EFI,& spark. I pulled & cleaned the plugs (they looked good). I even tried disconnecting the battery. Nothing helps.

When I start it it will idle perfectly for maybe 5 sec then it will stall unless I pump the gas quickly a number of times. The only way to get it to rev up is to rapidly and continuously pump the throttle. If you hold the throttle still the revs will drop until it stalls.

It is an 09 RZR 800. I've run out of ideas, help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
idk if its the same as mine. mine did somthing close to that. my spark arrestor was stopped up. i let it set for a year thinking it was somthing bad. pulled it out one day and been riding since.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My loss of power and rough running was very sudden. Running fine - hit puddle - missing, sputtering, backfiring, no power.
I'm thinking now that maybe the gas tank cap wasn't tightened and maybe water got in the gas. I put some moisture absorbent additive in the tank and it seemed to help. Now I can get it up to 40mph by rapidly pumping the throttle and it will hold that speed when floored (a long ay from the 60 it did before, but better than the 10mph it was doing). I should have drained the tank and added fresh gas before adding the additive. I will try that next.

H

·
0 Posts
My loss of power and rough running was very sudden. Running fine - hit puddle - missing, sputtering, backfiring, no power.
I'm thinking now that maybe the gas tank cap wasn't tightened and maybe water got in the gas. I put some moisture absorbent additive in the tank and it seemed to help. Now I can get it up to 40mph by rapidly pumping the throttle and it will hold that speed when floored (a long ay from the 60 it did before, but better than the 10mph it was doing). I should have drained the tank and added fresh gas before adding the additive. I will try that next.
Water in the fuel was going to be my first guess after reading you checked the electrical. If you do find water in the tank Check your fuel tank vent to make sure it's connected,not damaged and routed properly. Common source of water entry into the fuel tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts