Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2018 that we bough used a few months ago with 1100 miles on it. We have done a fair amount of riding so far including 100 miles one day.

We did about 50-60 miles on Saturday and the same on Sunday. On Sunday, less then 10 miles from camp we were running on a road system about 25 mph and I suddenly lost power, similar to the seatbelt limiter. I pulled over to the side of the road and pumped the gas a few times and it would rev up, but then back fired and died. After that it would would turn over, but not start. I let it sit for less then a minute, turn the key and it started like normal. We got about 3-4 miles down the road, it did the same thing again. Made it about a mile and did it a third time. After that we made it the couple of miles back to camp without issue.

Engine temp on the display was in the 190's. Nothing felt overly hot. Fuel was over 3/4 full. Relatively clean air filter as it has been raining so there was almost no dust to speak of and I cleaned it before the weekend.

Got back to camp and after about 30 min took it out for a run up and down the road about 2-3 miles and never had an issue again.

Any thoughts on what this could be or where to even start looking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Push the mode button on the dash until the "HCK ENG" comes up. Then press and hold the mode button. There will be some numbers that come up if there is an error code locked in. The far left number is how many errors. The far right number is the suspected number of fault. Press the mode button again if there are more errors shown on the far left.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Push the mode button on the dash until the "HCK ENG" comes up. Then press and hold the mode button. There will be some numbers that come up if there is an error code locked in. The far left number is how many errors. The far right number is the suspected number of fault. Press the mode button again if there are more errors shown on the far left.
Awesome. Thank you. I will check it tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like your fuel pump is on its way out. I had the exact same symptoms. Replaced with a Quantum pump and been good ever since. This is a somewhat common problem.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like your fuel pump is on its way out. I had the exact same symptoms. Replaced with a Quantum pump and been good ever since. This is a somewhat common problem.
Thank you. I did not have a chance to pull codes yet.

Is there a way to test the pump?

How big of a job is it to replace the pump?

·
Registered
28 Posts
You can check the pressure, i believe it's supposed to be 58 +/-2 PSI. There are some threads on guys that had good PSI on testing, but would eventually still have the problem during a ride as the pump got warm. I didn't bother to check it, as my research on the problem all pointed to the pump.

This is the link to the pump and more info on the problem: Quantum 900 pump

The install does require some soldering, but overall is very easy. Here is a video detailing the assembly: Quantum pump assembly

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can check the pressure, i believe it's supposed to be 58 +/-2 PSI. There are some threads on guys that had good PSI on testing, but would eventually still have the problem during a ride as the pump got warm. I didn't bother to check it, as my research on the problem all pointed to the pump.

This is the link to the pump and more info on the problem: Quantum 900 pump

The install does require some soldering, but overall is very easy. Here is a video detailing the assembly: Quantum pump assembly
Awesome. Thank you. I will look into that. If I do not have any codes that is a relatively inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a similar problem on a 4 wheeler years ago and it was a fuel pump. I have also had a simular problem on my SXS that one turrned out to be bad spark plugs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a 2018 that we bough used a few months ago with 1100 miles on it. We have done a fair amount of riding so far including 100 miles one day.

We did about 50-60 miles on Saturday and the same on Sunday. On Sunday, less then 10 miles from camp we were running on a road system about 25 mph and I suddenly lost power, similar to the seatbelt limiter. I pulled over to the side of the road and pumped the gas a few times and it would rev up, but then back fired and died. After that it would would turn over, but not start. I let it sit for less then a minute, turn the key and it started like normal. We got about 3-4 miles down the road, it did the same thing again. Made it about a mile and did it a third time. After that we made it the couple of miles back to camp without issue.

Engine temp on the display was in the 190's. Nothing felt overly hot. Fuel was over 3/4 full. Relatively clean air filter as it has been raining so there was almost no dust to speak of and I cleaned it before the weekend.

Got back to camp and after about 30 min took it out for a run up and down the road about 2-3 miles and never had an issue again.

Any thoughts on what this could be or where to even start looking?

I have a 2018 Polaris RZR 900 Trail. it had 297 miles when I got it.
worked great till this issue popped up.
my problem sounds identical to yours.

first time is a dead ringer to what you said happened. was running great most of day. trail riding 50" trails at about 9000-10000 feet. was awesome - then it started acting like it was starved for fuel. no throttle response, rough running no power. then the back fires and finally died. we were miles from camp. checked everything. tank had plenty of gas. nothing seemed wrong. no mud or things on radiator.
ran poorly. with no power and would occasionally shut down. you let it sit and cool for a bit and then it would start and go again. limped back to camp - still running horrible. thought we had water or something in gas and even drained it and got more new fuel in
next day ran fine again.
it is getting very frustrating. took to dealer they said it is fine and tested it for days. nothing

ran great on a 7 day trip to mountains
now again yesterday it happened again.
I still think it is starving for fuel - no throttle response no power. it is like you are out of gas and engine is not running but tank is full (nearly)

I would totally be done with a 80 dollar new fuel pump but there is no guarantee this fixes it and then there is the I cant trust the damn thing anymore issue.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did end up putting in a new fuel pump.

I have at least 500 miles on it. Various terrain and elevations up to about 7500 so far, hooping to make it to 9500 tomorrow. We have been in the dunes and the mountains, low speed trails and high speed on the road.

Not a single bit of trouble since.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the quantum pump. I thought about doing the drop in, but it was more than 2x the cost.

It was not a hard job at all, if you have the tools. It took me less than an hour. The hardest part was getting the "nut" off to remove the assembly since I did not have the spanner tool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I literally had the same issues, after researching and researching. I had no check engine codes, no power, barely would idle. Checked my fuel pump pressure it was 28psi. At the time the drop in pump wasn't available, so I went with the quantum pump. Like what stated above hardest part was getting that dang nut off the pump. Re-installed pump, crossed my fingers and fired right up!! Checked the PSI right at 58psi where it needed to be!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
For you guys worrying about a spanner wrench for the fuel pump ringnut. If you have a disc grinder and a vice it is simple to make one. Using 1/4 inch flat bar, 3/4 to one inch wide long enough to bend in a "U" shape the proper width of the ringnut, cut slots for fitting over the ribs on the nut.
61733105837__CA203AC8-E3A3-4D3F-9D33-8F5B01657B6F.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts