Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We have headsets with intercoms and radios BUT the buzz still irritates me because it just sounds like something is broken even at idle.
If I only rode long trails and had a need for intercoms I could probably live with it. Bad thing is that I use this for yard and farm work as well so not always wearing a helmet... and it would eventually drive me insane...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes the spark arrestor was gone when i got the rzr
Might be time for a new muffler - I bought my 2014 800 used back in August and had to replace the muffler, prior owner(s) did a lot of mud riding, muffler was rusted out & had a crack at the j-pipe weld that would vibrate & make a noise.

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Might be time for a new muffler - I bought my 2014 800 used back in August and had to replace the muffler, prior owner(s) did a lot of mud riding, muffler was rusted out & had a crack at the j-pipe weld that would vibrate & make a noise.

My rzr was snorkeled and mud ridden in its previous life, im guessing my experience will be similar to yours.. although I havent been able to find any cracks in the exhaust.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would think if it were baffles it would do it at all rpm ranges. I had an SLP slip on exhaust and still had the buzz. For me with a big bore it sounded worse when it was running lean. If you buy a new exhaust on fleabay pay attention to whether you need a fuel controller with it or not. Some do and some don't.

How did you check your motor mounts? When mine went out you could NOT tell unless you took them off. The mounts cover where they separate/tear. Here is what mine looked like and you can see all 3 are shot. BTW... I tried the Holtz stiffer mounts and vibrations & buzzing were significantly increased so I went to new Polaris OEM mounts.

Motor Mounts.jpg

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would think if it were baffles it would do it at all rpm ranges. I had an SLP slip on exhaust and still had the buzz. For me with a big bore it sounded worse when it was running lean. If you buy a new exhaust on fleabay pay attention to whether you need a fuel controller with it or not. Some do and some don't.

How did you check your motor mounts? When mine went out you could NOT tell unless you took them off. The mounts cover where they separate/tear. Here is what mine looked like and you can see all 3 are shot. BTW... I tried the Holtz stiffer mounts and vibrations & buzzing were significantly increased so I went to new Polaris OEM mounts.
Update to the thread, it was finally good enough weather yesterday to go out and mess with the rzr again... and what I found was the engine and trans were moving at least 1/2" back anytime the rzr was under power. Got back in the shop and it is super easy to move with a short prybar so I am pretty sure the mounts are cooked...

What I am guessing is the mounts allow the engine to move back enough that it goes metal on metal inside the donut which causes the rattle as well as explains why the joint looks like it is separating anytime it makes the noise.

I am going to order new motor/trans mounts today and will keep thread updated

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just to continue updates, checked j pipe joint and there is no metal on metal contact where the donut is. Also noticed that when i rev the engine that the donut joint actually slightly separates and can see the springs extend (maybe 1/16").
This could mean a couple of things...
1, it could be completely normal for the joint to vibrate that much (doubtful),
2. the pipe or muffler is clogged up and creating too much backpressure,
3. this thing could have a big bore kit in it from a previous owner and be overwhelming the exhaust with flow (at some point it has had a new jug on it its newer than the rest of the engine).

SO as of now, I have new exhaust gaskets on the way so I can pull the exhaust apart AGAIN, and see if anything is clogged up or rattling... and am looking at new silencers on fleabay...
Does this year 800 have a CAT built into the muffler? If it does it might be that starting to collapse. I know its a totally different world than road vehicles but whe a CAT starts to collapse it will "rattle" and will cause more back pressure which could be why your J pipe joint is expanding....🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
59 Posts
Update to the thread, it was finally good enough weather yesterday to go out and mess with the rzr again... and what I found was the engine and trans were moving at least 1/2" back anytime the rzr was under power. Got back in the shop and it is super easy to move with a short prybar so I am pretty sure the mounts are cooked...

What I am guessing is the mounts allow the engine to move back enough that it goes metal on metal inside the donut which causes the rattle as well as explains why the joint looks like it is separating anytime it makes the noise.

I am going to order new motor/trans mounts today and will keep thread updated
Good catch 👍
I was a little too quick to reply and had not run down the list of replies but I would check into replacing that muffler anyway since your getting that pressure build and joint expansion

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Does this year 800 have a CAT built into the muffler? If it does it might be that starting to collapse. I know its a totally different world than road vehicles but whe a CAT starts to collapse it will "rattle" and will cause more back pressure which could be why your J pipe joint is expanding....🤷‍♂️
Good catch 👍
I was a little too quick to reply and had not run down the list of replies but I would check into replacing that muffler anyway since your getting that pressure build and joint expansion

I dont think the can has a cat in it, if the joint is still separating after I put the new mounts in then I will definitely put a new silencer on it.

Quick sidenote - Partzilla has an ebay account (partzillamarketplace) that sells things slightly cheaper than their website. Saved @ 12 bux buying the three mounts on their ebay store versus their website. Doesn't sound like much but those little amounts add up over time.

Will update thread once I get the new mounts in (likely next weekend).

Thanks to all for the input and I will most definitely continue updating this thread until the rattle/buzz is gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I dont think the can has a cat in it, if the joint is still separating after I put the new mounts in then I will definitely put a new silencer on it.

Quick sidenote - Partzilla has an ebay account (partzillamarketplace) that sells things slightly cheaper than their website. Saved @ 12 bux buying the three mounts on their ebay store versus their website. Doesn't sound like much but those little amounts add up over time.

Will update thread once I get the new mounts in (likely next weekend).

Thanks to all for the input and I will most definitely continue updating this thread until the rattle/buzz is gone.
Cool deal.

Ive got a 2011 800 but its far from stock 😉 and a 2019 xp4t so ive got no real direct experience but just running through any and all possibilities for you. My 800 has the 1st gen Aerocharger turbo kit on it with billet engine mounts, I built my own exhaust for it as well but want to make more changes to the exhaust set up to quiet it down a touch lol

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
New mounts arrived monday evening, just got them swapped out tonight will and be making a test drive tomorrow afternoon when work is done... :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
It could be something a simple as the mounting of an accessory. I had that same noise...4500 to 5100 RPM. Finally found that my BLAC-RAC, mounted to the "Rear ROPS" cross tube was just barely, I mean just barely touching the cross tube. Loosened bolts and moved it a bit. There it was, a tiny place, about 1/64" powder coat had been chipped. After the slight move...no more noise.

Fortunately I have a spare set...so in the process...I changed out belt. nothing, changed out Primary clutch, nothing. changed out Secondary clutch, nothing.

The BLAC-RAC was creating a harmonic vibration...right there at the 4500-5100 RPM range. Above or below... quiet.

Go back to the KISS principal and look for things like mine. Good hunting!!
Pirate

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Just got back from a quick test rip around the field behind the house... and its better but not fixed.... still have a loud rattle/buzz at a certain rpm... back to checking every nut bolt and connection....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just got back from a quick test rip around the field behind the house... and its better but not fixed.... still have a loud rattle/buzz at a certain rpm... back to checking every nut bolt and connection....
All RZR's I've driven or ridden in have had some level of vibration/buzz noises, suggest you double check your roof anywhere it makes contact with roll cage / frame
  • my 800 had a high frequency vibration/buzz noise when I first got it that just about drove me crazy - finally noticed that if I pushed up on roof the buzz I was hearing would lessen or completely stop
  • ended up cutting some donuts from a lime green pool noodle and wedged them between roof & frame at several locations front to rear to provide a vibration dampener & buzz was eliminated
(photo shows some of the front ones - there a couple of more towards rear)

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
CHecked pretty much any fastener I could get a wrench on and put it all back together so I can get a little ride time in this weekend since the weather is getting better. Also swapped out the front pinion seal since it was leaking after driving the roll pin out.

Will update after I get some ride time in to see if its better worse or the same.... hopefully once everything gets up to temp and expands it gets better... been a while since I rode it a long time so I want to check it out because I have changed so much.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im almost willing to bet there is some for of a double insulated heat shield somewhere thats separating internally and vibrating on itself. Those are a pain in the butt to find 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
7,619 Posts
That roll pin comes out quickest and easiest with an air hammer...

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Quick update to this thread, been using the rzr around the farm and the buzz hasnt gotten any worse or any better. Luckily the rpm range i typically use around the farm is below the buzz range.

But now that its legitimately riding season I've decided to buy a new muffler for it since thats really the only thing I havent touched. That and my 13 year old nephew rode in it over the weekend and said "Man you really need to fix this thing, it sounds horrible" :D:D:p:p

Will post up with results after I get the new can on the rzr.

cheers

-j-rod

·
nice roach.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Muffler finally came in yesterday, so I put my 13 year old son and nephew to work installing it today since they were laughing about the buzz/rattle last weekend :D. They did everything except lifting the bed and messing with the exhaust springs. Had to take the 1.5-3" SATV lift brackets off to get the can out of the frame, the kids had it swapped out pretty quickly and reinstalled/torqued all the fasteners. Since they did the work they got the first test drives and :drumroll: THE RATTLE IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I put a few miles on it this afternoon and its SOOOO nice to not have a damn rattle other than the normal 800 sounds... pretty much sounds like my 2011 sportsman 800 except the caltric muffler i put on it has a little throatier idle sound (most likely because of the larger outlet than my sportsman)

heres a link to the muffler I used in case any of you are looking for a stock style can:

Couple pics of the child labor in the garage:

20200509_141157.jpg 20200509_144705.jpg

Thanks to all that commented and added their thoughts while I was tracking this down. Now its time to add some new rhino axles and start getting this thing ready for trails this summer. :cool:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts