Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, been doing some maint and soundproofing on my '14 800 trail. Having trouble finding a buzz/rattle that comes in @ 4500-4900 rpm and then goes away. Sounds like a loose heat shield or sheet metal. Coming from above engine/trans and below bed. Here is what I have done so far:

• sound deadener on trans tunnel, panel behind seats, and heat shield under bed
  • New belt/cover gasket, clutches cleaned/checked out
  • All heat shields on exhaust tight, no missing fasteners, not touching each other or broken
  • All new exhaust gaskets, springs, and rubber isolaters on muffler
  • New ujoints in driveline, new yoke at trans
  • all new suspension bushings/bolts all around
  • brake pads adjusted/ not rattling
  • rear sway bar tight
  • skid plate tight, all new fasteners/washers
  • happens while riding or sitting still
  • All cage bolts tight
  • motor mounts good
  • belt cover tight
  • intake tube tight
  • I've been all over this thing with the wife in the driver seat revving it in the garage... hitting everything with a long screwdriver and cant find a damn thing to make it shut up. Its also not intake noise, clutch intake exhaust noise, or the snorkel tubes rattling.
I know the 800s are noisy engines from the time ive owned my '11 sportsman, but that thing is not as rattly as this rzr.

Looking for input/experience that you guys have found.. I know its something stupid but I cant put my damn hands on it... normally I can find shit like this pretty easy but this ones really whipping my ass...

Thanks for any suggestions no matter how stupid, I've searched on here and tried everything I've read with no success...

cheers馃嵒馃嵒

-j-rod

20200308_132001 - Edited.jpg

Registered
Check the exhaust mid pipe. Right where it makes a u, check and see how much tension you have on that spring. Also check the adjustable rubber tipped bolt there. I found mine buzzed until I put more tension on the spring by adjusting the bolt out a bit. Also check the heat shield above the valve cover. I have saw where mine had at some point rubbed the valve cover.

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #3
Check the exhaust mid pipe. Right where it makes a u, check and see how much tension you have on that spring. Also check the adjustable rubber tipped bolt there. I found mine buzzed until I put more tension on the spring by adjusting the bolt out a bit. Also check the heat shield above the valve cover. I have saw where mine had at some point rubbed the valve cover.

Thanks for the heads up, checked it out this afternoon and I've got about as much tension in the spring as I can get by the bumper bolt. Also have zero heat shield interference on the valve cover... Seriously lost here... haha

Registered
Is it possible that the noise is actually coming from somewhere totally away from where it sounds like it is coming from? I had a rattle coming from the rear of the roof. It sounded like it was coming from everywhere. It took forever to track it down. I kept looking toward the front when it was actually coming from the rear. Just a thought.

Registered
Try putting a hose to your ear and putting the other end on different things to see if gets louder/quieter. The hose will help isolate the sound.

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #6
still chasing this, have the bed off today and am trying to track this down... all heat shields are tight, put a plug boot heat sleeve over the springs to take them out of the equation... will post up results later on. Seems to be coming from the center heat shield directly above the engine even though its tight and not rubbing/deflecting...

20200403_182416.jpg 20200403_204103.jpg

Premium Member
In this condition it still rattles/buzzes?

2020-04-04_110109.jpg

Something inside exhaust pipe between header and muffler?

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #8

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #9
I'm beginning to think it may be something inside the pipe or muffler.... just went and took heat shields off and it made the same sound...

Premium Member
Loose baffles in muffler?

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #11
Loose baffles in muffler?
At this point thats gotta be what it is.... cant find anything else that would cause it...

Registered
Check the donut between your header and your J pipe. If it is too worn then the 2 sections of pipe can rub against each other where they connect. Also check the 3 rubber grommets that the 3 muffler prongs go into. Also check your motor mounts. Lastly, it could be a harmonic engine vibration. I had an 800 with a big bore that had an engine vibration around 4000 rpm and after correcting the fuel, it was much better. It was more like a buzz than a rattle.

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #13
Check the donut between your header and your J pipe. If it is too worn then the 2 sections of pipe can rub against each other where they connect. Also check the 3 rubber grommets that the 3 muffler prongs go into. Also check your motor mounts. Lastly, it could be a harmonic engine vibration. I had an 800 with a big bore that had an engine vibration around 4000 rpm and after correcting the fuel, it was much better. It was more like a buzz than a rattle.
New polaris donut, gasket, clamps, rubber grommets and springs last weekend... I originally thought it was the springs rattling so i changed everything thinking it would knock out the buzz... no suck luck...

Registered
Mine does it also and it coming from inside the muffler, irritating as hell but finally goes away after it is fully heated up. Tempted to open the muffler up and weld the baffles.

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #15
Just to continue updates, checked j pipe joint and there is no metal on metal contact where the donut is. Also noticed that when i rev the engine that the donut joint actually slightly separates and can see the springs extend (maybe 1/16").
This could mean a couple of things...
1, it could be completely normal for the joint to vibrate that much (doubtful),
2. the pipe or muffler is clogged up and creating too much backpressure,
3. this thing could have a big bore kit in it from a previous owner and be overwhelming the exhaust with flow (at some point it has had a new jug on it its newer than the rest of the engine).

SO as of now, I have new exhaust gaskets on the way so I can pull the exhaust apart AGAIN, and see if anything is clogged up or rattling... and am looking at new silencers on fleabay...

Registered
Mine will rattle sometimes if the rzr gets in a hard pull while going in reverse. I figure its the pipes seperating at the spring joint a bit.

Registered
Also have you tried removing your,spark arrestor?

nice roach.
Discussion Starter #18

Registered
Yes the spark arrestor was gone when i got the rzr
Ok just thought I'd ask. I've gotten to the point that I try not to listen for new noises on ours! Lol! Everything on it makes noises that would worry most people. But I'm a maintenance freak, so I know whats what on ours.

Registered
We have headsets with intercoms and radios BUT the buzz still irritates me because it just sounds like something is broken even at idle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts