Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a pretty diligent search, and was surprised to not find what I was looking for. Short of spending $500 and up for a shop quality spring compressor, what are my best options? I borrowed a set of strut compressors from Autozone, but the hooks were kind of large for the smaller springs. I made it through the process on the rear shocks, just having issues with the fronts. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have those and and couple other sets, none work on the most of smaller front springs without binding.
Man, you are everywhere, Joe! That's what I ran into on the fronts as well. The rears were fine, as the distance between the spring and shock allowed for the "fingers". On the fronts, I did get the springs off, but it was binding, as mentioned, and even popped the cap off of the bottom of the shock. Sure hope I didn't screw anything up. Seems like a dust cap? I just popped it back on. On the straps, I've always been warned that it's not a safe solution, but I'll do some searching on proper procedure. I was looking at these, as the "fingers" seem smaller.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0UT55Y/?coliid=I354CHBIK43BD4&colid=181HRMJ9WMCCI&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. Just ordered, and it's same day delivery. Gotta love Amazon. I'll post up tomorrow. Side question for you, Joe, since you've been so helpful: How in the heck do you adjust preload with shocks on? At full droop, I can't budge the adjusters. I'm no Arnold, but I have a fair amount of grunt in me. Threads cleaned and lubed, too. I actually tried to back them off, so not trying to add preload. Still no budge.

·
5,815 Posts
I did a pretty diligent search, and was surprised to not find what I was looking for. Short of spending $500 and up for a shop quality spring compressor, what are my best options? I borrowed a set of strut compressors from Autozone, but the hooks were kind of large for the smaller springs. I made it through the process on the rear shocks, just having issues with the fronts. Thanks in advance!
3 ratchet straps on the front springs
This always scares the crap out of me (guitar/banjo player here with important fingers), but it works every time. I've done it way more than I wanted to. Here's a little instructional video:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the High lifter spring compression tool that I clamp in a vise. I put a eye bolt in each end to use a ratchet strap for the compression, that leaves my hands free.

·
Ed, The Suspension Guy
700 Posts
This is best.

should already have some preload numbers to set the shocks at “before” install on the car. And to make it easier, add a little more preload than figured necessary to do the job. It makes it easier to turn the collars upward once the shocks are on the vehicle

Spring compression tools are NOT! I will repeat, NOT necessary once the shocks are on the car! Lift the tires off the ground so shocks are at full extension and use the correct tools and turn the spring collars for fine tuning.

Goplus 20" Strut Coil Spring Press Compressor Hand Operate Auto Equipment Compress, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CH1CXGT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1Rf1CbFGJ1G8Q

Attachments

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
This is best.

should already have some preload numbers to set the shocks at “before” install on the car. And to make it easier, add a little more preload than figured necessary to do the job. It makes it easier to turn the collars upward once the shocks are on the vehicle

Spring compression tools are NOT! I will repeat, NOT necessary once the shocks are on the car! Lift the tires off the ground so shocks are at full extension and use the correct tools and turn the spring collars for fine tuning.

Goplus 20" Strut Coil Spring Press Compressor Hand Operate Auto Equipment Compress, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CH1CXGT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1Rf1CbFGJ1G8Q

Ah darn, I guess I will have to force myself to buy another tool :devil

·
Ed, The Suspension Guy
700 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts