Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas,

I am looking for a series or single events to race my Rzr. I don't want to do short track but more of a GNCC / Harescramble / Enduro / Rally type of race. Do we have those in the S.E.?

My background is racing Harescrambles and Enduros on bikes. I would love to find something like this. If you can put me on to anything I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that's a great event but just a bit of a haul from where I'm located in NC.

·
RZR RACER
21 Posts
ORTHO,

Any other enduro/distance races that you found? I too am looking for the same in preparation to head next March to the Mist 400 in Vegas but I need some vehicle shake out of my RZR and properly equip I am out of Nashville TN

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The GNCC schedule is out... rules are Not printed yet, but that is a great place to race the SXSs.

AND, of course there is Mideast Racing which is pretty much all in NC and SC ! Those are similar to the GNCC in starting procedure and track layout, but they are more layed back. Car count should be in the mid twenties for 2018 tho.

Gnccracing.com
Mideastracing.com

·
RZR RACER
21 Posts
True 520 Thank you, I have studied the GNCC. GNCC and BITD are truly the races I am trying to prepare for long term. However, getting to NV and AZ is prohibitive from Tennessee more then once a year. Also although I anticipated significant modifications to be made to my Rzr the vehicle modifcations from stock for GNCC are significant and adds up. I have found some of the Eastern race circuits are more family oriented and as you said a little more layed back.

SC and NC are in my reach and family is there. I would like to race there. I will look them up. thanks for the link. Do you know what race circuit rules they run under?
Kris

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
True 520 Thank you, I have studied the GNCC. GNCC and BITD are truly the races I am trying to prepare for long term. However, getting to NV and AZ is prohibitive from Tennessee more then once a year. Also although I anticipated significant modifications to be made to my Rzr the vehicle modifcations from stock for GNCC are significant and adds up. I have found some of the Eastern race circuits are more family oriented and as you said a little more layed back.

SC and NC are in my reach and family is there. I would like to race there. I will look them up. thanks for the link. Do you know what race circuit rules they run under?
Kris
Mideast rules are very lenient. They want side nets or doors, harnesses and a fire extinguisher. MX helmets and goggles work good there too.

AND, you don't have to do too much now to get a Rzr to finish well in the GNCC. Tracks are much wider than a couple years back but I would still recommend some zero-offset wheels. We done a cage with solid doors and nets, but you can do some cage bracing, opening doors and nets. Harnesses there for sure with fire suits and fire extinguisher. A kill switch is also a must there too.
For a Rzr I would also suggest sway bar braces, a different motor mount tube and relocating the radiator to the rear. That's really about it. We run our stock A-arms, ball joints, trailing arms, radius rods, hubs, axles, diffs, etc. After the boy started finishing well, we put a pipe, tune and clutch kit in there...
Let me know if you have any specific questions too.

·
RZR RACER
21 Posts
THANK you, I am almost GNCC ready. My son and I may make one run this late winter to pick up one GNCC race together, Just worried about trailering my turbo 700 miles and not being signed off to race but there rules manual is fairly clear but also very thorough which makes me a little nervous the first race pre-qualifcation sign-of. Also, since we have a Turbo that throws us into the Pro-Class which is something we didn't thoroughly research when we wanted a faster Rzr then our prior 800 and 900's.
>I didn't think they required after market roll bars just 6 points but I have to pull the rule book back out. Well I have you 520- I have been looking for a simple kill switch which everyone uses that is easy to install in the dash because I believe it has to be accessible in and out of the vehicle for everyone to use it in a crash. - Any suggestions?

> Also, my son and i have been wrestling if we should move the radiator to the back of the vehicle like all the other endure racers. Do you have any recommendations of kits that are easy? All are those coolant fans only relocated radiators or are some of them also running fans for the clutches? Any help or supplier recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks 520 or anyone else watching this tread.
Kris

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
For the kill switch I just picked up a Marine grade switch from a boat shop and the wired it to the key switch wires. I did use a battery disconnect switch from Advance Auto on one of the cars tho and it is working just as good... It's just not as Cool looking.

Turbo car may mess you up with the the Gncc this coming season too. There was talk of having a Turbo amature class, but they haven't decided on that yet.

In mideast tho , Turbos are welcome! They just say Pro or 801cc and above.

Relocating Everything on the Turbo can be very expressive!
Honestly, I would just show up to a few mideast rounds and see how it goes.

We raced all of 16 with the radiator in the front. You do have to be careful in the slick races. Because of Roost and sliding into a Tree! If you have a good bumper up front, then you can also put a screen up there to help keep debri out. Plus wire up the fan to run all the time too.

Biggest this to remember in these XC style races is Patience! Most people have bad experience because they tried to go too fast too soon and hit something causing a ton of damage.

These car really are on the edge of being out of control at a fast pace... Learning where that "control" is will save you a ton of money!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ohhh yeah... The Kryptic SXS series has made it's home at Dirtworld Park in Statesville, NC now too.

Very good people there and a neat racing layout too.

They run a short course style race first and then an endurance style which combines the short course track with a 4+ mile woods loop.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
RZR RACER
21 Posts
WOW, TFR, I can't beleive I have not been able to search these events. I thought I really had shaken the trees. THANK YOU SO UCH FOR RESPONDING. I am not a regular Facebook user for these type of research events.
DO they have a webpage? I will contact who ever I can from Facebook.

Is it all rock climbing or is actual more like cross over Enduro? Rock, trail, speed, mud?

Location is perfect for us but I hate pure rock climbing since it just beats up every aspect of our vehicles.

DO you know if it is all single riders in Polaris' or can you drive with passenger if desired?

Thanks TFR.

Kris
Double Z-Z Extreme Razing

·
RZR RACER
21 Posts
TRUE 520, Sorry I missed your post the other day. Again, AWESOME info and thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. That is really what I wanted to do with my 25 year old son- is to show up and run a few races with our Turbo and see how it goes. We have solid from bumper and full rear bumper rolled up to roll bar creating a 6 point cage but its bolt on - not fully welded although I could tack weld all the joints if required but only out West do they seem to require after market full welded bars.

I already sunk a few thousand which isn't hard to do as you all know in just a few minor required and optional safety mods as well as suits etc. So I have been trying to figure out if I really need to spend money and time on radios and breathers for helmets and special air filters and coolant fans for the turbo. I am getting the same read that most racing East of the Mississippi seems to be more fun and family oriented with a lot less major restrictions and you can really run true stock with some simple add ons for harnesses and nets etc.

I do get mixed reports from different people running different events if rear mounted fans and clutch coolers are required- it All depends on conditions, length and circuit you are running However, it seems like the under 4 hr races that are variable track enduros have enough slow sections and variable high speed runs that a stock Polaris handles the engine and tranny heat. I LOVE THE SIMPLE IDEA OF Strapping onto the front bumper an additional simple screen out in front of the radiator fan far enough out to keep air flow but also to provide a first line of defense of mud lock up into the stock screen. number. Anyone that has a suggested aluminum or plastic material that is a fair material which allows air flow but catches enough mud I am all ears to try a few different items when practicing and race prep.

QUESTIONS ON KILL SWITCH- Thanks for info. two questions:
1. Doesn't it have to be mounted accessible on front dash???? or can it be on side of seat by battery etc?
2. Is a direct pattern switch meet the requirements - just a battery kill switch? or does it have to wire through the ignition. They obviously both will work but the required mounting location for accessibility helps determine which one is easier. A direct battery kill on the side of the batter box with a bright red switch works and is easy to see but no one has responded in the race circuits nor others that this is accessible and meets the requirements on all the circuits.
Thanks Kris

·
Registered
65 Posts
WOW, TFR, I can't beleive I have not been able to search these events. I thought I really had shaken the trees. THANK YOU SO UCH FOR RESPONDING. I am not a regular Facebook user for these type of research events.
DO they have a webpage? I will contact who ever I can from Facebook.

Is it all rock climbing or is actual more like cross over Enduro? Rock, trail, speed, mud?

Location is perfect for us but I hate pure rock climbing since it just beats up every aspect of our vehicles.

DO you know if it is all single riders in Polaris' or can you drive with passenger if desired?

Thanks TFR.

Kris
They do most of their online stuff through Facebook, unfortunately. Joey is the man that you are looking for if you have questions. Here are the rules with some contact information at the end. It isn't hill climbing, but there likely be difficult obstacles. If you are familiar with Ultra4, it is similarly styled to that. It will be a mix of uphill, downhill, tight trees, wide open, rock/uphill obstacles, etc. I doubt there are any issues with driving solo or with a co-driver if you want one.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://zeroto60media.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/rules.pdf&h=ATMrNZuRwdV98KC11D6DKkpytruSy8NMjcvp5IKqMScRu4AtF16hEdlLZVGAMsY5969ol8mI3mv0jXlN_phyRn3zp01UAU22VVliBzy4OFVfAbYy2ZACLapTfSGii-LsLsTE08hdpfwjFtUnRxXJRNGWw_a5-7GYRr0IHPvHRBYc4ndz46QIQvlBAV_vHSnjF1yuBPrzjaWkH7HAiEF-NGWXH2GjKMWBHlVTBMgGkknTMzP8VcKQ0zXijrvrqhKz5trgYOh5BhqBhGnKKFqSgEv6v-UTjBCMD1CD9g

There is also a series put on by Rzr-Aid which is a bit more GNCC/Short Course based but with shorter race times. https://www.facebook.com/Rzraid-on-the-Rocks-UTV-Championship-Series-892856557515435/?hc_ref=ARQCJiW2zEznaPZT0jF0UXsrP9npOmLj0HHKOUhg7ba6kiL6Qwj0_N7ImWDagg827mE&fref=nf

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
TRUE 520, Sorry I missed your post the other day. Again, AWESOME info and thanks for the thoughts and encouragement. That is really what I wanted to do with my 25 year old son- is to show up and run a few races with our Turbo and see how it goes. We have solid from bumper and full rear bumper rolled up to roll bar creating a 6 point cage but its bolt on - not fully welded although I could tack weld all the joints if required but only out West do they seem to require after market full welded bars.

I already sunk a few thousand which isn't hard to do as you all know in just a few minor required and optional safety mods as well as suits etc. So I have been trying to figure out if I really need to spend money and time on radios and breathers for helmets and special air filters and coolant fans for the turbo. I am getting the same read that most racing East of the Mississippi seems to be more fun and family oriented with a lot less major restrictions and you can really run true stock with some simple add ons for harnesses and nets etc.

I do get mixed reports from different people running different events if rear mounted fans and clutch coolers are required- it All depends on conditions, length and circuit you are running However, it seems like the under 4 hr races that are variable track enduros have enough slow sections and variable high speed runs that a stock Polaris handles the engine and tranny heat. I LOVE THE SIMPLE IDEA OF Strapping onto the front bumper an additional simple screen out in front of the radiator fan far enough out to keep air flow but also to provide a first line of defense of mud lock up into the stock screen. number. Anyone that has a suggested aluminum or plastic material that is a fair material which allows air flow but catches enough mud I am all ears to try a few different items when practicing and race prep.

QUESTIONS ON KILL SWITCH- Thanks for info. two questions:
1. Doesn't it have to be mounted accessible on front dash???? or can it be on side of seat by battery etc?
2. Is a direct pattern switch meet the requirements - just a battery kill switch? or does it have to wire through the ignition. They obviously both will work but the required mounting location for accessibility helps determine which one is easier. A direct battery kill on the side of the batter box with a bright red switch works and is easy to see but no one has responded in the race circuits nor others that this is accessible and meets the requirements on all the circuits.
Thanks Kris
You dont have to weld cages for GNCC or Mideast. Torc gets a lot more complicated tho.
No kill switch for Mideast. The Gncc does like your kill switch up high and easily accessible tho. Mine is on the left of the steering wheel and Red.

The newer Rzrs will still run for a little bit after you disconnect the batter, so
Battery kill switch doesn't turn the car off quick enough for them. That's why we just ran ours to the ignition wires.

Before we moved the Radiator we just put a green or blue HVAC air filter on the front of ours.... We had great success with this idea. Even ran it in Torc one weekend with out over-heating. Ours is not the Turbo tho... and I know they seem to be running a little warmer to begin with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts