Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Looking for Info on Mt Magazine Trails

13K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  lgimmer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Its been a few years since I have been there but it was great riding, and plenty of it. I always parked on top of the mountain by the overlook. Its rocky but not too bad. Awesome high overlooks. Some of the trails were connected by forest service roads too.

All in all it was some of the best riding back then. Can't say how it is now though.

#3 ·
It's been 10 years since I've been there but yes I am pretty sure it is also referred to as that. We camped at the horse camp, it is primitive but we had the toy hauler. Really nice trails back then, idk how it is now tho.

#4 · (Edited)
That is it. There are three Mtns. Huckleberry, Rich and Mt. Magazine. You ride through all 3. Get the Traveling the Back Country Maps from the Forest Service. Lots of trails and roads to ride. Just rode there last week end. 45 mile ride and we only rode a small portion.
You can go here https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3791070.pdf for a MVUM.
You can go here http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3791571.pdf for a traveling the back country map. This is the best map.

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
There are over 100 miles of trails/forest roads to ride at Mt Magazine, been riding there nearly every weekend since 2004, my uncle owns and runs cove lake concessions and Schluterman ATV tours, been running tours for 7 years, I enjoy it up there.

#15 ·
Not to jack the thread but it's cool to see some folks from AR on here that ride lol. I haven't purchased my rzr yet. Going Tuesday to test drive one! Hopefully that'll help easy my mind on dropping the 15K!

#16 ·
If you have a GPS I can send you GPX files of Mt. Magazine, Sorghum Hollow, Huckleberry Mountain or whatever you would like to call that whole area over there. I have waypoints of things to see as well. Still one of my favorite places to ride but I believe they closed to many good trails when they started putting gates up. Matt may agree with me and he may not. They closed a trail that used to loop over the creek several times that was some of the best riding over there but there is still plenty to see.

#20 ·
If you are coming in from Conway the best place to park would be Sorghum Hollow horse camp. Would be quicker than driving all the way up Mt. Magazine to park and unload. I live in Russellville and that's where we park. As I've said before anyone that needs GPX files let me know by PM with your email and I'll send them to you. That way you know how to get around. Spring Lake Road is kind of the center of everything (trails come off of it mostly) and Mt. Magazine is just up from there as well.

#24 · (Edited)
I heard the same thing from an older man riding over there last New Years day. But he said they had been talking about it for years. I figured the part they closed was due to erosion on Shoal Creek. They rerouted it up and around the hill but still comes out by the cliff wall you just don't cross Shoal Creek multiple times. I can't see them doing it since they just got done redoing those trails, but you never know.

MotionX® | MotionX-GPS Maps

#26 ·
Got Mill Creek if you need those too. I had another person ask for those. I'll be getting them together tonight. I send to my email, then put them in a file and transfer them. It's pretty easy to do once I do it once. Let me know. By the way the waypoints that say 50 inch gate aren't 50 inches. They are 70 inches. We measured pole to pole.

#29 ·
Did I send you the Mill Creek GPX tracks? Let me know if I didn't and I will. I agree with Matt about Mt. Magazine being easier to navigate. I have to admit though Mill Creek is my favorite even though it's the furthest from me. Although that was with a Yamaha Grizzly and I may change my mind with the long wheel base of a RZR 4. The numerous water breaks throughout the trails suck. I can see dragging in my future. I will be finding out next week.

#28 ·
I agree with Lee that running along the creek made for great riding. Esp the spot where we always would stop that had the little rock ledge/waterfall.

We are going to Magazine Nov 7-9 if anyone wants to join.

Mill Creek (near cedarville,AR) and magazine are somewhat comparable trail ride wise. I think Magazine is an easier "loop" to navigate though.

#30 ·
No. I don't have the Mill Creek points - but would love them. :) Going there tomorrow. I have been twice before and the trails are great for my 800S.

I would love your opinion after you go on how you compare to Mt. Magazine.

We want to go there, but it looked like the trails were shorter and you would have to go from trail to trail very often on long stretches of forest roads (worried about hours of dust). If not the case, educate me, because it would be closer to me also.

But we love Mill Creek - just a little far.

#31 ·
I love Mill Creek, especially this time of year. The trees are changing colors and the views are amazing at least they were this time last year. Me and a couple friends take off the week of Halloween and go ride around the state. We went to Mill Creek last year and the weather and trees were very nice. We are going next week as well. As I said in a post above the water breaks in the trails suck. I imagine you'd be fine in an S but my long wheel base will probable drag a bit. I'm sure I'll be okay just rub the tops off a few breaks. I'll post a video to our ride on my Grizzly last year. At 1:12 in the video I come up to one of the water breaks. They are everywhere. Some are steeper than others. It is the only thing I do not like about Mill Creek. I have not been there with my 4 yet so we shall see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.