Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone regret going long travel on their xpt 4. I have a 2019 and have been tossing around the idea of doing a nxs long travel kit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watched a Shock Therapy livestream about long travel. Justin said only about 10% improvement in ride, whereas you get 70% improvement from shock tuning and springs. So if you have $5k burning a hole in your pocket after all the other tuning then it is an improvement overall.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Absolutely one of the best things I've done on my XPT4. I use @SATV long travel suspension coupled to Shock Therapy Stage 4 shocks and the ride is very plush even on the harshest terrain. It articulates very well and keeps the tires planted firmly. I also have 4" portals and with 6/1 rims it's 80" wide. The width adds stability and hasn't been an issue trail riding. The machine works incredibly well.

How you setup the suspension depends on what type of terrain and what you want to accomplish. I've never heard of NXS so I looked them up. Seems like a fairly new company. Personally I would use a tried and proven company like SATV with some of the best customer service in the industry.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I added LT to one of my first side x sides. Never again. Waaaaay too much money spent for not much ride comfort gained. I agree with One MO. Spend a fraction of that money on shocks or shock tuning through a company that knows what they're doing, and you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Same as above. A tuned suspension 64" car is to the 72". I saw little gain from the car I rode in compared to my XPT with built and tuned coilovers.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I think some of you are off track, the OP did not ask "LT or tuned shocks". IMO a tuned shock setup is not optional but required based on the particular suspension if you want a good working machine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of my concerns is breaking axels because of the added leverage. Also getting shock work done as well on the Walker evens shocks.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
One of my concerns is breaking axels because of the added leverage. Also getting shock work done as well on the Walker evens shocks.
Long travel in my experience is easier on axles. The longer axle bar will twist more and absorb more impact before breaking the CV joint. And with long travel people generally run less angle to get their desired ride height which helps with CV life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Can't 'Member.
772 Posts
I can't separate long travel from good shock work. The former requires the latter in my opinion. I installed a Cognito Long Travel Kit on my very first SXS, a 2008 Kawaski Teryx. I went with the Fox RC2 Shocks.
It was, in a word, incredible.
I was hoping the XP1k that replaced the Teryx in 2014 would have a similar ride. I was sadly mistaken, and disappointed. The shock work I had done on the XP1k made a huge improvement, but when the Turbo S Dynamix came out I knew it was pointed directly at me, LOL.
For us Long Travel is a huge advantage.

·
GPS GURU
223 Posts
I long traveled a teryx as well and the machine was a night and day difference but... they were a different animal entirely.

that being obvious cause I sold it to buy my RZR4 which flat out smoked my LT TERYX.

I’ve never been in a LT RZR but I have to imagine the improvement has to be there in stability alone or they wouldn’t make them
I just don’t see where you could go wrong “10%” or not it would be a safer ride!

·
5,939 Posts
A LT is one of those upgrades that can really put you on a different level. You're more planted and have more articulation so you can ride harder with comfort and ease. You can have a machine with all the power in the world, but with limited wheel travel and crappy suspension....you can't really use all that power.

Width and more wheel travel is always a plus...unless you're limited on width. I think the only thing to regret....would have to be buying new trailer if it no longer fits. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think some of you are off track, the OP did not ask "LT or tuned shocks". IMO a tuned shock setup is not optional but required based on the particular suspension if you want a good working machine.
I think we understand the question being asked, but are also interjecting some additional details into his question which may be helpful, which is don't do LT without first or at the same time doing shock tuning and springs. It isn't a lot better by itself with stock shocks and springs, and once you do that, the rewards are limited for the additional expense.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Exactly! I think you need both to really see and feel the true advantages of LT. Absolutely worth it, IF you do both.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So my question is similar...I have a 2019 xpt4. If I want to widen the car for stability and overall performance am I better off with long travel kit and shock work or should I just sell it and get a turbo S (and upgrade the springs)

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
That depends on you but.....most people replace the S OEM suspension anyway. I was at that crossroads last year and for me it was a no brainier given what type of riding I do and how I wanted it setup.

·
CB-BLR
147 Posts
Going from a 64" RZR to a 72" RZR is a world of difference in performance handling...That is why polaris went with the wider machine in the S models. All of the racers use LT with the shocks tuned for that purpose. I personally have an 2018 64" Dynamix that I put my RT-Pro long travel on from my previous ride...and had Shock Therapy do the shocks...I did the spring work. 3.5" per side wider...wheels in line front to back...5.5" longer. Drastically better than my rig at 64" with Shock Therapy shocks alone...and better than a S due to the added length with or without shock work. I did have to have ST revalve my shocks a 2nd time for the LT kit...but...wowser!!!

My very uneducated in mechanical things wife thinks that going LT with shock work is the only upgrade she feels is worth the expense.

Hope this helps,

Chris

·
Registered
62 Posts
Xp1000 eps at 68" wlde... using 4/3 rims on 32" tires. More stable ride in on or off camber situations.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Xp1000 eps at 68" wlde... using 4/3 rims on 32" tires. More stable ride in on or off camber situations.
Standard suspension with 4/3 rims is nothing like a long travel travel suspension, apples and oranges. Wider is more stable but not the same thing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I guess my main question is this...is the dynamix suspension worth it or will I be happy enough with long travel and shock work on a 64”...? Opinions from those that have had both would be great...

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

1 - 20 of 29 Posts