Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a tread started this past Spring asking if anyone makes a locking gas cap. The question is still unanswered, so I am posing it again.

Does anyone know of a locking gas cap for the RZR?

Yes, I already have a shifter lock and steering wheel lock. It seems people in Butte, MT think it is a birth right to steel stuff.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I am not sure how you could make one... since the cap is female thread...

best thing would be to keep it in an enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the idea, but who is going to tow the trailer when running around town with it? Yes, if you are out at an event, the enclosed trailer is the bestest way to go. I'm sure there is a slip cap that needs a key so it will grab the threaded portions. I use mine, when not exploring where I can go with it, to run around town.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oooo, those are on my list of things before winter sets in. Thanks. Still would like the cap for those who don't have the trailer or doors.

This forum ROCKS. Just paid for my membership. Ya'll have been great help.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Man... you've got a lock on everything.. I understand your wanting to "keep an honest man honest" but is just gas..What alley are you parking this thing in??

Hey guys where's Drew...We left 10 minutes ago... Ahh he'll catch up, Hes just siftin through his keys.... J/K ( i know the respoce..Gas prices) but really, how often does anyones RAZR get their gas stolen, Ive never heard of it, and I wouldnt buy one of those..Maybe you should start a Poll..if the numbers are in your favor, maybe a vendor might consider it.. Have you also looked into motorcycle caps and other locking caps to see if they may fit?? Cheers, Mike#9

·
Registered
160 Posts
Man... you've got a lock on everything.. I understand your wanting to "keep an honest man honest" but is just gas..What alley are you parking this thing in??

Hey guys where's Drew...We left 10 minutes ago... Ahh he'll catch up, Hes just siftin through his keys.... J/K ( i know the respoce..Gas prices) but really, how often does anyones RAZR get their gas stolen, Ive never heard of it, and I wouldnt buy one of those..Maybe you should start a Poll..if the numbers are in your favor, maybe a vendor might consider it.. Have you also looked into motorcycle caps and other locking caps to see if they may fit?? Cheers, Mike#9
I think most people install a locking cap because of keeping the gas in the tank. Where he lives it doubles as transportation. So then it really may not be for the gas being stolen, it could be piece of mind just knowing that he may be stopping someone from putting something in his tank. None of us have ever heard about sugar in a gas tank story before. lol...Just a thought.

·
SomeGuyFromOlympia
1,782 Posts
Check what the thread pitch is....cross reference it with Cat, Komatsu, Volvo, Hitachi
and other equipment.

I know that some of my equipment has outside threads on the equipment itslef (famale cap)
The equipment guys have the 'secure' thing down pretty good

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Well, I have to chime in,I'm that guy that asked the question awhile back. Her is why I was interested.
You top off your tank before a big ride the next day. It is on the utility trailer out front hooked to the truck ready to go 1st think. You wake up take off, arrive, unload and off you go on a 80 mile ride, only to get miles down the road and suck air!!!!
Now I know you will answer back with "didn't you check the gage before you ran out?" well would you if you are on an aggressive, fun trail??? Perhaps, perhaps not. what about getting down the road and not only finding your tank empty,but the cap gone!!!
This was my concern back then (and still now),
John

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I did laugh at this. The problem is here in Butte, MT, it is considered a birthright to steel things. Just tonight the church behind where I work had its security alarm going off. No one seemed to excited about it. I have had my helmet stolen out of my rig and the first lock for my shifter. It was not installed, but come on. Stealing a lock!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I think most people install a locking cap because of keeping the gas in the tank. Where he lives it doubles as transportation. So then it really may not be for the gas being stolen, it could be piece of mind just knowing that he may be stopping someone from putting something in his tank. None of us have ever heard about sugar in a gas tank story before. lol...Just a thought.
Yup, keeping things out is just as important as keeping the fuel in.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
St Patty's day in Butte is a blast. I was doing a job out in Silverbow at REC....Livin at the Rocker Inn...nobody stole anything from me...it was freakin cold

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
St Patty's day in Butte is a blast. I was doing a job out in Silverbow at REC....Livin at the Rocker Inn...nobody stole anything from me...it was freakin cold
When it is cold, the crime goes down. I am worried about the warmer times and in the parking lots around town.

On a side note. Yes, St. Patty's in Butte is one huge party. Shutting down streets and bars are open later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts