Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me where the thermostat is located? Anyone sell or come up with a lower temp thermostat? TIA

·
Registered
44 Posts
Changing the thermostat would not be good as many parameters are measured thru the ECM. Buy the better Polaris fan assembly just released to keep the temps in check. Another good option is buy a programmer that also turns the fan on at a lower temp like 195 instead of the 205.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing the thermostat would not be good as many parameters are measured thru the ECM. Buy the better Polaris fan assembly just released to keep the temps in check. Another good option is buy a programmer that also turns the fan on at a lower temp like 195 instead of the 205.
The reason why the fan comes on at 205º is because that's around what temp the thermostat opens. Having the fan come on at a significantly lower temp is really doing nothing. If the stat doesn't open till 205ish, and the fan is on at 185ish, then the water takes that much longer (if ever in winter conditions) to get to a temp that will allow the stat to open. What happens then is that the coolant on the other side of the stat has nowhere to go, and it sits in that passage boiling, thus making the engine run hot. You might not see this hot condition because the coolant temp sensor has not had any boiling coolant pass over it. This is the reason why Polaris engineers didn't just program the fan to come on at a lower temp....it makes no real sense to do so. I agree that insufficient fan CFM is also going to contribute to over heating issues, but the real issue is the high temp stat. The only reason to use a stat with an open temp that high is for emission purposes.....most 4 cycle gasoline powered engines operate best around 185º. With the newer RZR's having a cat converter, and having to meet even stricter CARB/CAFE standards, Polaris was basically forced to make them run hot so that they burned cleaner and met those clean air standards...Harley Davidson ran into the same thing a few years back. They had to program the A/F ratio to run lean, thus making the engine run hotter, to clean up the tailpipe emissions....total BS IMO. SO, with all that said, I'm going to find a cooler T-Stat that opens around 185º that will fit in my 2016 Turbo. I'll also have my programmer have the fan turn on at or around a few degrees over whatever that stat opens. This way the coolant has a chance to warm up, cause the stat to open, circulate the system, and cool the motor like it should. It always cracked me up when I would hear my buddies say they removed the stat from their vehicles to make them run cooler. That idea is about as useless as titz on a bull.

·
Registered
925 Posts
^^^ Makes a lot of sense, keep us posted on what stat you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I gonna find that stat hopefully ...It's all smog related the overheating

Sent from my iPhone using My finger

·
Registered
29 Posts
The thermostat is in between the intercooler and the head under the 2 rubber intakes bolted in between the 2. It's a PIA to change. I put a queen racing stat in mine seemed to help some but should really see a difference now that I've had it tuned.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Isn't the intercooler by the radiator ?

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you open up the access panel in your bed and look down between your two cylinders you will see the stat right between them.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Thanks just need a lower temp stat now we're can I get one of those ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Queen racing is the only one I know of.

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
The reason why the fan comes on at 205º is because that's around what temp the thermostat opens. Having the fan come on at a significantly lower temp is really doing nothing. If the stat doesn't open till 205ish, and the fan is on at 185ish, then the water takes that much longer (if ever in winter conditions) to get to a temp that will allow the stat to open. What happens then is that the coolant on the other side of the stat has nowhere to go, and it sits in that passage boiling, thus making the engine run hot. You might not see this hot condition because the coolant temp sensor has not had any boiling coolant pass over it. This is the reason why Polaris engineers didn't just program the fan to come on at a lower temp....it makes no real sense to do so. I agree that insufficient fan CFM is also going to contribute to over heating issues, but the real issue is the high temp stat. The only reason to use a stat with an open temp that high is for emission purposes.....most 4 cycle gasoline powered engines operate best around 185º. With the newer RZR's having a cat converter, and having to meet even stricter CARB/CAFE standards, Polaris was basically forced to make them run hot so that they burned cleaner and met those clean air standards...Harley Davidson ran into the same thing a few years back. They had to program the A/F ratio to run lean, thus making the engine run hotter, to clean up the tailpipe emissions....total BS IMO. SO, with all that said, I'm going to find a cooler T-Stat that opens around 185º that will fit in my 2016 Turbo. I'll also have my programmer have the fan turn on at or around a few degrees over whatever that stat opens. This way the coolant has a chance to warm up, cause the stat to open, circulate the system, and cool the motor like it should. It always cracked me up when I would hear my buddies say they removed the stat from their vehicles to make them run cooler. That idea is about as useless as titz on a bull.
Good post , interesting and well presented ...your point is something to think about for sure...let us know what you find as a 185 deg replacement or 190 ? :campfire_flames_md_

1 - 15 of 15 Posts