Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Five of us made a trip two weekends ago to the Rockhouse trail system at the Hatfield Mccoy trails. I did do research and spoke with other people that have ridden the area. They all said that we would have a good time. Not saying that we didnt have a good time but was disappointed in the difficutly of the trails. I am in no way saying that we are experts but we were expecting to ride on a little more than dusty smooth roads. Out of all the trails that they have the only ones worth riding were the double black diamonds that did not permit sxs. It was on the second day that we decided to go ahead and ride those trails just to make the trip worth while. And they definately did!!

I dont want to judge all of H&M on just this one trail as we want to go back down and try another, but was just a little dissapointed in the Rockhouse.

Anyone else have the same experience?

·
Addicted
3,649 Posts
I agree 100%. I may be spoiled to have Black Mtn, Brimstone, Windrock etc all within a few hours of me, but I do like to check out other systems as well. We rode Rockhouse and Indian Ridge, I think (Ashland Resort) and had fun but were not nearly challenged enough for our liking. We also rode the double black diamonds in our sxs's and honestly had no problems on them.

I think HM is geared more towards family riding. That is all fine, dont get me wrong, it's just not for me. I feel like I could have driven a golf cart on 85% of the trails there. I personally like more of a challenge, and more often. I was, however, very happy with how clean and well marked the trails were; nice to see the permit fees were being put to good use...

From what I hear, they restrict the black diamond trails due to not being wide enough for two sxs's to pass each other. I disagree, but it's just what I heard.

IF I ever were to go back, I think I would ride the Pocohontas system and stay in Bramwell, but ONLY due to it's close proximity to the Interstate. The rest of the trails are not worth the "back road" drive for my riding style. The rest of my experience was all great!! Friendly locals, nice lodging/accomodations, convenience of trailheads, atv friendly roads, well marked trails/maps, etc !!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
guys i have been in contact by motts at the pocohontas atv resort in bramwell we are in the works for a huge sxs rally for next spring .... look out for all the event info coming soon...... just got back from rock house and buffalo mountain my feeling are the same....

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree... I have lived here all my life and have rode some type of motorcycle, atv & first SxS for the last 30 years... Last Saturday was the first time I rode the HM trail... We went to Gilbert on the double black and was blocked by trees... We got over one, but couldn't the other... we found ourselves going passed the do not enter signs, trying to find something challenging... It seemed like Knott county trail system, the black were just tight trails, nothing challenging... we have great trails here, lot of creeks, fun hills and fast roads... We have one loop that is 150 miles and you go through three states... KY, VA, WV,. My buddy actually just bought a motel and is redoing it for riders and eventually will have guided tours a couple times a year on this loop and many others... Black Mountain is awesome too...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totaly agree with you CFD. The trails were nicely marked, clean and the locals were nice. we stayed in twin hollow which was exaclty what we were wanting in a campground. I live in southwestern Pa and have great riding out my front and back door. I guess you dont realize how good you got until you go somewhere else. We to did not have any problems on the double black diamonds with our sxs. Heck my cousin had his rhino and it went up them right with us. Again not knocking the H&m just was expecting a little more with all the hype it gets.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The HMT trail rating system is a bit conservative. I won't deny you could land a Cessna on some of the "Green" trails (no shit) But at the same time I don't want to say I'm disappointed in the HMT. I really am not. Do I feel they could offer up more of a challenge. YES! Do I have a great time when I'm there? Hell yes. But then again I'm the kind of guy that just enjoys having fun with my family and friends.

·
Registered
30 Posts
While I personally would not try it, I have seen 50 inch rzrs on the single track trails there, I'm sure that could add to the challenge and I doubt it's any more trouble to get caught on than the black/ reds.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
While I personally would not try it, I have seen 50 inch rzrs on the single track trails there, I'm sure that could add to the challenge and I doubt it's any more trouble to get caught on than the black/ reds.
Actually I did that this past Sunday. Not intentional though...I let the step son lead one time (his first trip) and I wasn't paying attention. I quickly got to thinking it's really narrow and this switch back is a PITA to get through... Quick check of the GPS and ...Damnit Jeremy you're gonna get us kicked out! shot out of my mouth... LOL

Not something we do or would ever do intentionally again. He's been banished from the lead position until he figures out map reading 101.

But on the flip side it still wasn't that bad of a trail...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts