Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed the new Light'em Up whip I grabbed at the SSSS last weekend. Its a 4 footer. Bright too... I dig it. You can bend it in a horseshoe shape... hopefully I never need to test its roll over ability.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Its not a FO whip... its a new style out... not sure what it is. Here's the base.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
:00000549: Thats one bad light saber!! :00000549:

100% increase in visability for safety!! Do they make longer ones?? or shorter one?? I dont know much about whips but I can imagine that running dunes without one could get you injured or killed quick by someone coming over a dune...
That leads me to a question for ya'll to educate this young grasshopper, What are/would be the dune riding rules? What would be "Dune Riding Ediquite"?
I ask because I have read no back threads on the subject...Ive seen some complaining and some suggestions but never anything written or more importantly the "unwritten" rules...

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

100% increase in visability for safety!! Do they make longer ones?? or shorter one?? I dont know much about whips but I can imagine that running dunes without one could get you injured or killed quick by someone coming over a dune...
That leads me to a question for ya'll to educate this young grasshopper, What are/would be the dune riding rules? What would be "Dune Riding Ediquite"?
I ask because I have read no back threads on the subject...Ive seen some complaining and some suggestions but never anything written or more importantly the "unwritten" rules...
It is a written rule that you have to have a whip but it does not have to be lighted which I think is pointless and dangerous at night... BTW That looks killer.....

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
The whip must be 8ft above the sand! Unwritten you run the dune with the natural flow of the dune and if your climbing or going over the dune let off at the top and make sure it is clear! Flying over dunes is a great way to get a Helo ride!

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts

It is a written rule that you have to have a whip but it does not have to be lighted which I think is pointless and dangerous at night... BTW That looks killer.....
Why pointless and dangerous? I'm not catching on with that comment? I would figure you would be more visible, especially if your just over a dune at night and only your whip can be seen..if its lit up..you can see it, If not??? I must be missing something.....

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

Why pointless and dangerous? I'm not catching on with that comment? I would figure you would be more visible, especially if your just over a dune at night and only your whip can be seen..if its lit up..you can see it, If not??? I must be missing something.....
I meant that its is pointless that you DONT have to have a lighted whip at night...It defeats the purpose or requiring the whip if its not lit at night... sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Okay lets get on track
*In the dunes a whip is law and actually a law that makes 100% sense day or night
*In day a lighted whip is not anymore useful... many people run the cheap flags during the day to not damage them and switch it up at night
*also it is law in Ocotillo Wells you must now run a whip... not real new but is now being enforced. In due time it will be as common as the helmet law... I have no problem at all with this particular law. In the deserts here in So Cal you see crosses at many of the 4 way intersections and washes.. makes you wonder if a flag would have helped. I have been out in the desert hauling ass and have seen flags moving along above the sage where I never would have thought anyone else was out there but me. The fact is if you are gonna ride at night you really should run a lighted whip of some sort and there are many out there these days... some better than others... some brighter than others. Just pick one... at least here on the west coast.

·
Banned
1,182 Posts
I think the government theory is your head lights will light up their whip! You should also be aware of head lights in your vicinity because the sand reflects a lot of light! I also will only use a lighted one, but it hasn't been a big deal as most are very careful at night!

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
You have to have a whip .it is not required to be lit .they are useless at night if they are not lit .
And the clouds parted, the sounds of trumpets thundered.... I no longer feel Like an idiot..But I do for not catching on to his comment... I was seriously racking my brain.. I agree, I wouldnt want to ride without one lit up either..
So eight feet is the height (maximum) that I should be looking into getting.. This is turning into a rather interesting and educational thread for us guys that have never been out on the Dunes.. I bet its some real addictive driving!!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice! Where were they? I bought the FO one we will see?

PB... they were in one of the buildings in a tent like vendor booth.. it was all wrapped up in black... show special was $109.. regular I think is $129 4ft or 6ft are the same price. They had yellow, orange, blue, green, red, white, pink, and I think purple too. What sold me was the current draw (about 1/14th of a regular LED whip) and the sales guy bent it into a full circle with confidence and shoved it into the ground... SOLD

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
You have to have a whip .it is not required to be lit .they are useless at night if they are not lit .
And the clouds parted, the sounds of trumpets thundered.... I no longer feel Like an idiot..But I do for not catching on to his comment... I was seriously racking my brain.. I agree, I wouldnt want to ride without one lit up either..
So eight feet is the height (maximum) that I should be looking into getting.. This is turning into a rather interesting and educational thread for us guys that have never been out on the Dunes.. I bet its some real addictive driving!!
ok ill disect this...lol as i to tend to post criptic sometimes....
1. a wip is required at most dunes to ride.
2. it is not required that whips be lit.
3. a non lighted whip is useless at night since it cant be seen.
4. a lighted whip is safer as it can bee seen at a long distance.

5. whips shall be 8 ft in hight from the ground...( some places have diff rules as in some require they be mounted in front so ck with were you are going to ride)
6. dunes to me are the most fun to be had leagly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts