Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about putting a small lift kit to get a scosche more clearance over rocks. Looking at RT Pro 1 1/2" kit or Super ATV 3" kit.

Has anybody had experience with either of these kits? How do they affect the handling of the rig and what do these lift kits do to shock function (do they increase or decrease stiction)? How much would these kits increase the chance of breaking an axle?

Also open to suggestions for other brands.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dave, just joined rzr forum recently. I am running the rt Pro 1 1/2 lift with their spring kit, and think it's great. Springs are a little stiff,but ground clearance with 30x10x14 tires gives me almost 17" at the rock sliders. beware of axle bind with to much lift. I'm still running stock axles with no problems.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Lift kits are a bad idea. They change the shock mounting location and make it ride like a skateboard. A good set of springs will achieve better ground clearance and improve ride quality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yea, that's if you think an S is perfect from the factory. Don't be so matter of fact. The S rides terrible from the factory. The 1 1/2 RT lift an their spring kit was an improvement, I widened the stance with 4/3 offset wheels to 64" and lengthen the wheel base 3" to 82" with A arms. it's a lot better, not perfect, but better. Yes the lift stood the shock up a bit, the Fox shocks have 20 clicks of adjustment. Never noticed a "skate board ride". I even took the sway bar off, now it articulates 17" of ground clearance, run the shocks 3 clicks front 5 back off of soft for the rocks and click them up a little firmer for the highway, no sway. Perfect, no. Better, you bet

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Scott, RZR Joe has been on this forum a really long time. I see you are new. You should listen to him he knows a lot about these rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
38 Posts
I appreciate that, but think there room for adjustment. not everything is black and white. No offense Joe. I may be new to the forum but i'm not new, been around the rock crawling scene for awhile. there are always trade offs.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
If you have 17" of GC on a S model it's jacked up too high. This creates excessive CV angles and other suspension issues. Essentially you have zero down travel. Ride quality and handling is relative to what an individual is use to.

Not knocking your machine setup so don't misunderstand. This forum is an excellent place for info and there are a lot of people here with many years of experience.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree, I think my 46 yrs crawling these rocks counts for something. Read the post. 1 1/2 " lift, rt springs , 30x10x14 tires. look at the rock sliders, they are above the center line of the wheels, the exposed shaft of the shocks are 4 1/4 front 4 1/2 in the rear. the 1 1/2 lift changed the axle shaft a little but not excessive. I have 6 1/2" of droop 4 1/2" of compression. just where it need to be. Almost forgot, the a arms gained me another 1 1/2" of lift without changing the axle angle. To High? 64 wide 82 long stable as a rock.

·
Registered
986 Posts
To the OP; I would toy around with adjusting the shocks before you add a lift kit. My buddy has a 1KS and has a good amount of clearance on factory suspension with adjustments. I am also running stock suspension with about 16/15” F/R clearance on my XP with good results.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found in my case on a s 1000 that adjusting spring tension for clearance just made the ride worse, remember these things came with a single spring, and not a good one. Way different then an XP.
The Fox 2.0s needed a lot of help from the factory. The 1 1/2" lift is not that much. Standing that shock up a bit actually helped it. In moving the tire out 2" it gave more leverage for the shock, it does work better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure if anyone makes a lift like years of past for your S , but what would work perfect for you would be the extension brackets that mount down on the lower shock mounts on the front and rear control arms. They keep the same shock angle and geometry and only push the controls arm down giving you lift. I’ve been looking for something similar for my XP but no luck- going to make my own

Heck, we’re only talking a few inches it’s no big deal. And if worried about axle and tie rod binding at full drop- limit straps will take care of that.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I added the SATV 3" lift and the SATV offset arms with Rino 2.0's and am really happy with the setup, also added 32's on 4+3's the extra ground clearance, track and wheelbase really transformed it in to a trail beast.... can just cruise over big rocks and logs now with ease. The SATV kit you have to upgrade your rear axles but is worth it for sure, like others have said it does stand the shocks up a bit and firms up a bit but evens out with the super soft oem spring, I also ditched the sway bars and the articulation is amazing now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
dirt monger,nice ride.The 1 1/2 RT lift didn't add much to axle angle. Jacked up the car last night and no problem with axle bind. Still, in coarse of time i will upgrade, along with ball joints.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts