Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some input on what air filters people are running for extremely dusty conditions. Mainly xp1k, rs1, xpt, turbo s since they all take the same air filter.

I'm having issues keeping fine dust participate out of the inside of my intake tube. Now I will add that my intake is not inside of a air box so my filter may see much more dust than most. This is due to a rear mounted turbo setup. The setup is made to use stock filters clamped to a 3" tube plumbed up into the cargo area on my rs1. I have tried OEM stock, OEM hd blue, uni with fab1 oil and wrap, aem dry flow with aem wrap. None have stopped the dust. I will also add I have no inlet leaks it's definitely passing through the filter.

Have recently thought about a Donaldson air box or the new r2c filter with wrap.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,163 Posts
I’ve been running the desertcraft for about 800 miles now, when I originally made the switch, I coated the inside of the intake tube with a thin film of dielectric grease to do a little poor man’s test on it of what got past. I ran it for my normal 500 miles in the Southwest dust.

When I pulled it off to clean & service, the filter was covered in dust, enough that you could tap the filter on the floor and a pile of dirt would instantly form beneath the filter, but to my delight, the intake tube was spotless still, the film of grease was still clean to the touch and I couldn’t feel any grit whatsoever.

I do still run the stock airbox on my XPT, and I never did the same test with the OEM Donaldson filter, but I did notice the intake tube did have a tiny amount of dust on previous services.

I have had good luck with R2C on other non-rzr applications in dusty environments as well, so I would have good faith in it as well

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
378 Posts
Best possible answer - whatever filter you want (I run OEM) with an S&B particle separator. 99% of the dust never even makes it to the air filter. Using the S&B, my OEM filter and airbox still look almost showroom new after 2000+ miles in Arizona dust, never been serviced once.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I would stay stick with donaldson, Desertcraft, or S&B for your filter elements. Being exposed like that and having no air box to use a particle separator with. I would recommend an Air cleaner. Donaldson with a 4 inch ish inlet at least and no smaller than 3 inch outlet. A UMP setup depending on HP 10905, 10905L, or 10925. or advance air cleaner systems by howe performance 8x12 0r 8x15. Would be my recommendations based on a lot of wasted time researching this. There are some knockoff umps as well.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked into the s&b but with my setup I have no air box. I have a open air filter. The s&b is probably the end all say all for efficiency but I just don't think I can package it in my setup. I have ran the factory Donaldson filters and still got considerable amount of fine dust passed. Honestly the best setup so far has been a 2 stage uni with fab1 filter oil inside and out with a k&n pre wrap. But even that had enough dust I could actually see it in the intake tube feeding the turbo within 100 miles or a day of riding. We normally don't have crazy dust to deal with on the east coast but this year it was brutal silt from lack of rain and high traffic on the trails. I may look into a ump box or even a Donaldson box like suggested.

All of this really came to light after me deciding to change blow off valves. I had a 25mm turbo smart plumb back style Nov that was virtual silent. I wanted a option for if I wanted to actually hear the blow off valve or not. When I removed my recirculation hose that dumps boost back pre turbo I couldn't believe the amount of dust and just nasty crap that had built up in the past 800 miles since the turbo setup was put on. But it brought me back to thinking of ways to try to clean up the fine participate dust. I knew I had issues with fine dust making it past and that's why I tried so many filter setups. I think possibly a higher flow Donaldson style box used on equipment could work. My issue with a box is in this rs1 I have absolutely no room for a large box

My other issue is I'm running 14psi of boost through a 2860r turbo. So I'm in the 200hp range and need something that came move some air without hurting turbo spool up time. This is why I've stayed with OEM style clamp on filters.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my turbo s I run an S&B with an R2C drop in washable filter with their filter skin. I drive in Barstow where it’s insane dusty in the summer, There is areas with fine chalky silt (like the Baja 1000) where you and the entire vehicle turns brown within 5 mins and the filter stays crystal clean. A few different shops told me that the number 1 thing they are fixing on these is motors because they suck up dirt and they recommended getting an s&b. Wether that’s true or not I got one, inside my air box is the only thing on my RZR that looks brand new still

But since you said you have a different air box and turbo set up and the good filter and skin you had didn’t work in not sure what to say.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ordered up a r2c filter this evening and will give that a shot. I have a ride to Hatfield in a week and a half so I will give it a shot. Probably won't get to test how well it will tap fine participate because it's calling for rain almost every day for weeks to come in the Logan WV area. Will probably be a mud fest on this ride.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just wanted to suggest the largest surface area you can tolerate. I think doubling fitler area will cut airspeed into the pleets in half, and that "should" make it more efficient. It would also allow a tighter filtration which would otherwise limit airflow.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
UMP on my 1k and XPT4.

·
Can't 'Member.
513 Posts
I used the factory blue filter element for years in my 2014 XP1k, stock air box etc. I am running the same in the Turbo S. Next year I am going to make a decision on either the S&B or this..

This came up on my radar because it does not have any electric motor, it is silent as opposed to the S&B. I need to do some more research, if all other performance yardsticks are even then the quiet one will get the nod. If the S&B is better...it will. I also put a swipe of grease on the inside of the post filter intake tube and check it frequently for dust.

We sometimes run in dusty country. Even thought of doubling up the frogskin prefilter with a second layer. Still might do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts