Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Tucson and recently picked up a nice 2017 570 RZR. I registered it in Arizona and am completely street and off road legal having both stickers on my license plate. I have seat belts, lights, a horn, windshield etc.

I have a 10' cargo trailer that handles the 570 well and we travel extensively as we tow behind our 24' Class C motorhome. My California buddy says I am not legal to operate in California... say what? How can a vehicle that is completely legal in Arizona be illegal in any other state? He said that no RZR's are legal on the street yet I have seen dozens of them when we were in Borrego Springs, Glamis and other Calif desert locals. How can the rules be different in different parts of the state? Would like to get up to Pismo before the Coastal Commission shuts down riding on the beach but again I am told that I would have to trailer the RZR to the off road area, no driving to and from the campground.

OK guys, what's up? Anys similar issues in Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado etc? I am good to go anywhere in Arizona and even got my State Trust lands permit which I carry at all times as we have millions of acres of great riding State trust lands - about 100,000 acres are just a mile from my driveway, waaay too convenient.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The rules are the same throughout California. No RZR or can am etc are street legal. Not in Borrego Springs and definitely NOT in Glamis. You might avoid the sheriff or CHP for a short while but when the catch you its their choice to give you a ticket or have it towed. I believe Nevada is the same, but every state is different.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is absolutely no way to make a RZR (or any other UTV) street legal anywhere in California, no matter what you do (short of fraud). You may or may not get away with it without getting caught, but it's 100% illegal on any road in California, no matter where you're plated/insured or what equipment you have on it. If you get caught by law enforcement, you will be cited and possibly impounded. Your California friend is correct - legally, you have to trailer to the trailhead, no on-highway riding allowed to get there.

I believe Nevada now has provisions for limited on-highway use. Utah is even better, but you need to comply with all their state equipment laws regardless of where you're registered (for example, turn signals are required, which we don't have to have in Arizona). It's my understanding that Colorado is very limited for on-highway operation (if at all).

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,123 Posts
I'll leave the California specific part to the Cali(Komi)fornia guys....but as far as being different in different parts of a state... Fairly common, In NM, where I'm at, it's allowed by the state with certain restrictions ( No State or Us highways...max speed 45mph...etc), but each jurisdiction has it's own choice to allow them to be driven on the streets or not, some have chosen not to allow it, most allow it... (also, some don't enforce the State or Federal highways part, as a "courtesy", within city limits...because around here most main streets in towns, are also US/State highways... it's still technically illegal, and you're doing it at your own risk, because a state or dot officer can enforce it at anytime...but basically, don't be a jackass and it's all good)... In CO, it's NOT legal at the state level, but some mountain towns allow it on designated routes only (as an OHV even, you don't have to be "street legal", OHV's are just allowed to travel in town, mainly for tourism purposes because they're OHV hot spots)...

So that part isn't far fetched, Arizona is pretty much just awesome with their street legal laws

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,123 Posts
Just and addition to this... and i just saw this this morning...There's a guy on facebook that seems to be playing the legal loophole game and basically driving anywhere he wants in any state in his Turbo S....I haven't looked far enough back into his page to see how he's doing it yet....but I am curious....so far he seems to be very successful with it tho.... he has not been to California from what I can tell tho

Facebook - A1 UTV

·
Registered
438 Posts
The only way to be legal in Cali is to be illegal!

·
Registered
344 Posts
There are a few streets in CA you can legally drive an OHV for a short distance, a few roads in Inyo County, one street in Randsburg for a short distance, there might be a few others. Much different than being street legal in AZ.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just and addition to this... and i just saw this this morning...There's a guy on facebook that seems to be playing the legal loophole game and basically driving anywhere he wants in any state in his Turbo S....I haven't looked far enough back into his page to see how he's doing it yet....but I am curious....so far he seems to be very successful with it tho.... he has not been to California from what I can tell tho

Facebook - A1 UTV
He misunderstands reciprocity and (mistakenly) believes that because he's legally registered in one state, he's legal to operate in all states regardless of what their laws say. I'm not going to go over there and get in a dick swinging contest with him, but he's going to be in for one or more rude awakenings along the way in his adventures. Especially if he tries it in California.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There are a few streets in CA you can legally drive an OHV for a short distance, a few roads in Inyo County, one street in Randsburg for a short distance, there might be a few others. Much different than being street legal in AZ.
The (extremely limited) exceptions are covered in Vehicle Code sections 38026 and 38026.1. Local governments, with the approval of the CHP, can designate portions of roads as a "combined use" highway, but with specific rules and for no longer than 3 miles. The Inyo County pilot project (38026.1) allows "combined use" sections of up to 10 miles, but that section is repealed as of Jan 1, 2020 unless a new law is passed which deletes or extends that repeal date.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, I've been on that very short piece of road in Randsburg. Someday it will probably end because at times people don't follow the rules and run around on all streets there. The guy that owns the bar on that street seems to be concerned about it anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts