Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tail Tanks welcome and thanks for becoming a RZR Forum sponsor.

Now you are the perfect company to do what I am looking for. I need more fuel range in my XP4. The XP4 has plenty of room to build a bigger fuel tank or a transfer tank. The biggest issue is working around the drive shaft, but under the left passenger seat area there is enough room to duplicate the fuel tank which is under the passenger right seat.

It seems like many have not thought about adding a larger fuel tank, instead they chose to carry an extra 2.5gal - 5 gal of gas can in the bed. Biggest issues with that is you are carrying a flammable liquid right over the top of the engine and in many cases right over the hot header. This is probably the worst thing you can do!

When pointed out, they all seem to say, well I need more fuel range and this is the only way or place to carry it.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Tail Tanks welcome and thanks for becoming a RZR Forum sponsor.

Now you are the perfect company to do what I am looking for. I need more fuel range in my XP4. The XP4 has plenty of room to build a bigger fuel tank or a transfer tank. The biggest issue is working around the drive shaft, but under the left passenger seat area there is enough room to duplicate the fuel tank which is under the passenger right seat.

It seems like many have not thought about adding a larger fuel tank, instead they chose to carry an extra 2.5gal - 5 gal of gas can in the bed. Biggest issues with that is you are carrying a flammable liquid right over the top of the engine and in many cases right over the hot header. This is probably the worst thing you can do!

When pointed out, they all seem to say, well I need more fuel range and this is the only way or place to carry it.
Just saw this today. We will definitely check this out. We are working on an oversized tank for the 2 seaters. Have not looked at the options for the 4s.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just saw this today. We will definitely check this out. We are working on an oversized tank for the 2 seaters. Have not looked at the options for the 4s.
Good to hear you are already working on making a bigger fuel tank. The 2 seat XP & XP4 both use the same fuel tank. So the tank you are working to build for the XP 2 seaters would work for the XP4 seater too. But the two seaters dont have the empty extra space the 4 seaters do. Realistically I'm guessing you could add another 7 gal under the other rear passenger seat on the XP4 and this would give a total of 14 gals of fuel on board in a safe place.

We have found the XP4 seems to get about 15% to 20% less miles per tank when running hard on the same terrain. The added weight to between the two machines, and the fact the 4 seater can have up to twice the passenger weight contributes to the reduced fuel mileage. We have noticed that when the XP4 is pretty much out of fuel the 2 seaters still have a bar or two left on their fuel gauges.

If I was in the Lake Oswego Oregon area, I would be at your door step offering my XP4 as your mock up vehicle.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I would be interested in a larger capacity or spare tank as well. I learned my lesson about carrying spare gas...! Just got my XP4 back from my dealer after 3K + in fire damage to wiring tubing and other parts that burnt...was in a good/newer gas can and was strapped down well... Just leaked a little and WHOOOOF up in a fire ball it went lol. Luckily I was able to get the can turned fire ball off the buggy and put out the fire that was left...as well as nobody getting hurt.
I ride in areas that can be fairly remote and I'm only comfortable going about 70 miles round trip... Which goes by quick when your having fun...

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I have been using Trail Tank's black 2.5 gallon "utility jug" on my RZR for a couple years. The plastic is nice and thick. Very good quality.

RZR needs washed. LOL

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Will the new tank extend forward into the passenger foot well area?
how many gallons is your target size?
We are leaning towards that design. Then offering a plastic cover to go over the exposed area. Problem is, alot of people may not want to cut their floor pan for the tank.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey enough talk about you two seat guys fuel tanks! LOL!! RZR 4's & XP4's have the room and want/need a larger tank.

In all seriousness I have looked at a friends XP and I see maybe an extra 1 to 1 1/2 gallons of room in the stock fuel tank area at best! Could you go back farther over the rear trailing arm pivot?

The next issue is you want to make it as close to drop in ready as possible. The more cutting & modifying you have to do the less the average Joe will want to buy it and install it.

Thus making a tank for the XP4 will be much easier! Have I hinted enough yet?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would be interested in a larger capacity or spare tank as well. I learned my lesson about carrying spare gas...! Just got my XP4 back from my dealer after 3K + in fire damage to wiring tubing and other parts that burnt...was in a good/newer gas can and was strapped down well... Just leaked a little and WHOOOOF up in a fire ball it went lol. Luckily I was able to get the can turned fire ball off the buggy and put out the fire that was left...as well as nobody getting hurt.
I ride in areas that can be fairly remote and I'm only comfortable going about 70 miles round trip... Which goes by quick when your having fun...
I too have seen this very issue and why I wont add a fuel can in the bed. The one I saw was a guy running around with no bed on his XP. When we were talking to him at the top of a hill, he said he needs to find a used XP bed as his melted and burnt up. He said had a small gas can mounted in the bed. He thinks the altitude pressure that built up in the can when going over the mountains heading to the desert, cause the can to expand. He unloaded and less then two miles into his first ride he thinks between the pressure and the gas bouncing around in the can, it caused the vent cap to pop off and for the fuel to leak out into the bed. He said the fire melted the bed area, most of the engine wiring was melted, the air box cover was destroyed among a few other things. He replaced or fix most himself, but had yet to find a used bed.

I'm in the process of building a tank for my razor out of 6061 aluminum with intank baffles. Capacity estimated eight gals.
This was similar to my original plan. I was considering making an aluminum second tank under the rear left passenger seat of my XP4 and using a Faust fuel pump to act as a transfer to the main tank. Once I got to a 1/4 of a tank I could transfer fuel into the main tank via a fuel line I would tap into the factory plastic tank.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nikal,
I'm replacing the stock factory with my custom made one. It will have a sump so the fuel pump with always have fuel. Trying to make it hold ten gals. It's not easy. Should be done pretty soon. Then a little testing.
Post it up when you get it done!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So anymore news or thought on making larger fuel tanks for the XP or a single larger or duel aux tank for the XP4?

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Will the new tank extend forward into the passenger foot well area?
how many gallons is your target size?
We are leaning towards that design. Then offering a plastic cover to go over the exposed area. Problem is, alot of people may not want to cut their floor pan for the tank.
Sounds like a good option for the 2 seater. I don't know any of my passengers who pull their feet in directly in front of the seat. If designed correct could be a simple direct replacement.

A 4 seater opens up an entire new degree of options. Personally I'd make my 4 seater a 2 seater and have not only storage but a nice and big fuel tank. Something I can take out far!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
I would love to have a bigger fuel tank on my 800. This turbo is nice but I had to buy stock in several refineries to feed it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts