Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I too the rzr out for a ride around the neighborhood and started hearing a knocking noise and lost some power. I called a friend and he picked me up with his trailer. Looked at the clutch and there was a huge crack on it so figured it was the clutch. Just got the clutch puller yesterday and pulled the clutch off and the knocking is internal so I'm thinking it's a rod. This sucks. I've only had this rzr for about 3 months and it's been nothing but problems. So now I need to tear it down and see exactly what has happened to it. If it's a rod is there any recommendations on what crank to get or if there is a stroker crank is it worth getting?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Check the oil pressure before pulling engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I go about checking the pressure? Is there somewhere I can connect an oil pressure gauge at?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I hook a mechanical gauge to it and no pressure at all. I removed the bolt that goes to the oil pressure relief and there is nothing in there. No spring or dowel and it doesn't look like the original bolt to it either.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Id say you can go ahead and count on rebuilding with any amount of time running on a flat tappet cam with no oil pressure.

Id start with finding out the issue with your oil pressure and once its been addressed then assess the damage from there.But id plan on rebuilding it none the less.Thankfully there are kits on ebay that are relatively cheap now for the 800's.If it were me and i had to rebuild from scratch id get the welded crank from hotrods and the 820cc big bore.Make sure you get the rzr s 4 cam too it has .020 more lift to it than the regular S cam.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Is there nothing in the hole, or is the dowel pin stuck and it appears there is nothing?

Take a piece of welding filler rod, or coat hanger and measure to the bottom of hole.
Bolt is .470", spring is .890", dowel pin is .640" for a total length of 2.0"
There is some compression of spring when installing, but if the hole is not at least 1.75" deep the dowel pin may be stuck at the bottom.

Below is stock parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I split the case and am rebuilding the engine but could not find the dowel or pin. I even looked in the oil that I drained and still could not find the parts. Don't know what happened or how it happened. I changed the oil right before all this happen but somehow it went missing. I had the rzr4 for about a few months and had already put about 400 miles on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I split the case and am rebuilding the engine but could not find the dowel or pin. I even looked in the oil that I drained and still could not find the parts. Don't know what happened or how it happened. I changed the oil right before all this happen but somehow it went missing. I had the rzr4 for about a few months and had already put about 400 miles on it.

Id say someones been in there or something either way its odd.As for 400 miles and now this happens id say you been on borrowed time.Good luck on your build and post plenty of pics make for an interesting thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok finally got it going and I think you were correct that I was on borrowed time because it sounds a whole lot better. I fired it up on Sunday let it go through a heat cycle and took it for a spin around the neighborhood and ran great. I now have an oil pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on all the oil pressure and seems to be in operating range. I?ve probably put a good 15 miles on it so far and everything seems fine.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good to hear!Just out of curiosity what was the issue in the end and what did you do to fix it?

Id recommend an oil change and id strain your oil and look for any metal shavings if you see specs of metal most likely the cams trashed and you wearing bare metal on the lifter to bare metal on the cam and its essentially eating itself from the inside out.

Now see if Fuji had used a simple roller lifter with these engines it wouldn't have likely hurt it at at all.Ive said it a million times i cant for the life of me with oils the way they are these days what in the hell Fuji was thinking using a flat tappet cam and what polaris was thinking giving the ok on a flat tappet cam when oils not had zddp ir zinc in it since they realized it was clogging catalytic converters and due to tighter engine tolerances and the use of roller tappets and lifters they did away with those particular additives that kept those cams alive.

I use Mobil 1 15w50 Diesel oil as its loaded with zinc and zddp which our cams require and if walmarts out of that shell rotella fully synthetic and always a K&N filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts