Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys had experience with the K&N Air Filter replacement for the 900XP? I am thinking about throwing one in for my first 50hr service if the stock filter is in bad shape. I've used K&N filters on all my toys over the yeas and always had good results so I figure this is a no brainer. Can you feel seat of the pants improvement in throttle response and/or power? I heard some negative chatter when I first got on this site but would like to hear fromthe guys that are running this filter. Below is the link.
Thanks for feedback.
K & N Filters K & N Air Filter RZR- XP 900 :: Side By Side and UTV Parts Warehouse - SXSPerformance.com

I'm also thinking about picking up a pair of these>
SXSPerformance Outerwear RZR XP Intake Booties :: Side By Side and UTV Parts Warehouse - SXSPerformance.com

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
have you guys had experience with the k&n air filter replacement for the 900xp? I am thinking about throwing one in for my first 50hr service if the stock filter is in bad shape. I've used k&n filters on all my toys over the yeas and always had good results so i figure this is a no brainer. Can you feel seat of the pants improvement in throttle response and/or power? I heard some negative chatter when i first got on this site but would like to hear fromthe guys that are running this filter. Below is the link.
Thanks for feedback.
k & n filters k & n air filter rzr- xp 900 :: Side by side and utv parts warehouse - sxsperformance.com

i'm also thinking about picking up a pair of these>
sxsperformance outerwear rzr xp intake booties :: Side by side and utv parts warehouse - sxsperformance.com

Don't do it...

·
Registered
90 Posts
tim why do you say dont do it?

Brian i just got some of the outerwears for mine and i wasnt entirely impressed with the way they fit but they do the job and that was the sole purpose i bought them to do the job and keep anything like grains of sand from getting in there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard several peeps on this board warn of going against the aftermarket filters for fear of voiding the warranty or getting dirt in the intake but there has got to be guys on this board that have had positive experience with this aftermarket filter? K&N has made quality products for years and this seems like a simple swap that could yield benefits. Why would the stock paper filter be better than the K&N higher flowing filter, makes no sense? As long as it is installed properly I don't see how it wouldn't be superior? Need some more feedback please.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the stock filter, but do have a K&N on the inlet of the lid to keep sand and dirt out of my airbox. Works like a champ

·
Arkyrider
953 Posts
&N lets fine dust particle through. Great filters for truck, but not so good for ATV's and RZR's. I use a UNI filter at times and stock paper some times. Used K&N on my Kawit 750 and always had problems with it. If you run the stock paper filter use an outerware sock with it and rest assuered that you are protectin the engine.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The paper filters do a much better jobs with fine dust than the K&N filter does, K&N is better on the street. Not worth the trade off of a little extra power for the dust to get in your motor, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
High flow cannot be achieved without less filtration. How do u think your getting more flow.
Their is a thread on here where i showed from independent research kn filters 96% and they state this on their website. Paper filters in the 98-99% range.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, you guys make valid points. So am I doomed to run stock paper filters and intake for the life of my machine :(? I ride in the mountains, no sand, and most conditions are not too dusty. I would think K&N would have to take adverse conditions into account when developing an off road product? How often should I be changing my stock air filter, miles/hrs?

·
hey ya'll watch this....
1,304 Posts
Crap.. I just bought a UNI for my XP (so did i waste my money?)...I have K&N in all my quads, and no trouble. I ride in conditions like you Beez.. When i go to sand dunes once a year i make sure outerwares are good n clean.. So im courious to this as you :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
We run K&N on our test machine. 5000+ miles in the desert with no issues. I found a little dirtone time early on when a shop monkey did not grease the filter lip. Since then no problems as long as we oil the filter and grease the lip. Alot of people had issues early on with the stock setup due to lid misalignment with the filter. On the dyno doesnt show losses but no measrable gains. They seem to last longer than a stock filter when comparing seat of the pants power loss from a dirty filter. We were changing stock filters every 500 miles or so. Now we go 750-1000 miles. It really all depends on the en vironment. Following others on silty trails could clog a filter in a couple of hundred miles. What ever you use make sure to get the filter centered and grease the lip.

·
Registered
118 Posts
What about the Twin Air, air filter with fab one spray on. I have run these in my dirt bikes for years and never had any problems but they were not fuel injected either. What's you alls thoughts on this.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks Yoshimura for giving a reply that actually addresses the question instead of just shouting out one sentence, irrelevant answers. I just ordered a K&N filter and can't wait to install it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i had great results with mine. i just got a good deal on the Alba pods so i installed them. just make sure you close airbox correctly and tight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Proper oiling of the filter and greasing of the lip is key - if you aren't capable of these two critical steps then proper filtration will not occur. Personnaly I have run an oil based filters on just about everything that I have ever owned and have never had a problem with an engine due to a filter (in any condition)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts