Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Crash!
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone jet-hot coated there stock header yet? Trying to knock down the incab heat and I always liked jet-hot compared to header wrap. Not sure how well it would stand up to an off-road vehicle compared to an on-road one.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I am having mine ceramic coated this winter.
The place doing mine told me they have done several RZRs and ATVs.
Mine is a stock 800 if that makes a difference.

Doug

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just coated mine with satin black ceramic, i didnt check before temp. Since i just added a turbo, but it had to help with some heat and it holds up fine to the elements. Ive done them for dirt track cars and drag cars. All is good with them. My rzr is an 800 though.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
it will help some with the heat, had 2012 head pipe coated (same as S header pipe) at NitroPlate in Nashville TN.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Dont know if it will help you decide, just took mine for a run and checked temp with ceramic coating and it was about 450 at the turbo. Farther down the pipe, was around 325 or so.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
will post temps soon of mine. My dopey TBR video clearly showed the XP OE temp out of the header with both OE muffler and the TBR.
Will be interesting to see the OE back on ceramic coated.
I don't have any concerns about the new Yosh RS4 at all, or Yosh header mods, who would, but curious about the heat firing into the passengers back.
As far as bed temps or shock temps I never recorded those. But I still have the same test part from the video and the gage.

·
Registered
882 Posts
After my factory headers blew and cracked out at 2400 miles and Polaris replaced them under warranty with a new set, I had the new set Jet-Hot Coated before installing them. Only made an 8 degree difference at the surface of the header itself and could not tell any difference at all inside the cab and now after at only 3100 miles (only 700 after they were done) the new set busted and cracked out this weekend in the same location in that first curve. So the whole coating was a waste of money and the new headers did not last as long as the original ones did.

·
Registered
925 Posts
^^^^ Pics of the cracks?

·
Premium Member
41,101 Posts
After my factory headers blew and cracked out at 2400 miles and Polaris replaced them under warranty with a new set, I had the new set Jet-Hot Coated before installing them. Only made an 8 degree difference at the surface of the header itself and could not tell any difference at all inside the cab and now after at only 3100 miles (only 700 after they were done) the new set busted and cracked out this weekend in the same location in that first curve. So the whole coating was a waste of money and the new headers did not last as long as the original ones did.
If you didn't have Bad Luck you'd have NO Luck At ALL... 7000+ miles on my header pipe and no cracking...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I don't think coating the header is going to help with whatever caused that.
I have never seen anything like that.

Doug

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
My stock header has been coated for about 700 miles, still looks good.
SouthernGypsy: something else is wrong with your machine. Your exhaust is stressed or getting way too hot, the coating is burnt off.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Your machine is running lean. ( not enough fuel) at whatever speed it is you are driving most is starving it for fuel. So a remap of the fuel,is needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
i agree that coating the header is a great way to keep it looking good and even lower the temps a bit (not much though), but i would look at hpc or someone other than jet hot. i had them do my sportbike headers and they came out kinda crappy looking. they coated sections that i had taped off (the joints where the sections fit together) which meant i had to grind them dowen to get everything to fit together. they additionally let the coating sag in a few spots before baking it so now i have a couple crappy looking spots. luckily they are low and cannot really be seen under the bike.

a friend sent his in with the same shipment, but chose the high temp coatings. since the pipes were thin wall stainless they deformed really bad because of the high temps they had to bake them at (there was no warning about this), ruining all the sections. he finally got them to replace the pipes, but it took almost 6 months and it was a total pita.

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
i'm convinced on the temp reduction Thermal protection is what started that industry. Looks was secondary, but a huge bonus. Another benefit not to be forgotten is it protects parts from thermal fatigue. A Hooker Header maybe. Will it on a RZR header? I'm gonna find out. Hopefully my header wasn't made on a Friday or Monday. or the paper mache plant.

No questioning ceramic success in Harley world. Temp reduction is along the pipe about 1/3. Adding a header wrap gains little heat wise, more for protecting boots and hanging with Billy Idol. The wrap sits on the pipe so it is the same temp as the pipe.

·
Crash!
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am going with the standard 1300deg coating and got a price of like $120 for the header (a good header warp kit with SS ties is like $75). Thinking about doing the muffler to if someone can confirm that it’s a baffle type muffler and has no packing?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts