Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else a problem with a very rough, jerky, perhaps harsh clutch engagement on thier 170? Wondering if the wieghts need lubing or something. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same issue, it was espicially bad going from forward to reverse or vis versa. Took it apart a few times and seen nothing obvious, decided to put C&D's racing clutch and let me tell you money well spent. Shifts from forward to reverse like it should have from the factory. just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The kids feels a little jerking when starting off also. I just put a C&D clutch in but won't have it together for a couple more days. I here every body say 1.5 hours to change. I think they forget the 3 hours to remove everything.

·
Registered
121 Posts
my sons feels jerky every now and then and from what I have found is the cheap crap chain is rusted, The links are rusted up, I plan on chainging over to a good 520 X-ring chain but want to change sprocket at the same time

·
Registered
210 Posts
If it is just the jerking when going into either gear. The trick I showed my girls is to keep there foot on the brake, put into gear, apply gas until they feel it shift or start to move, then take foot off brake.
I have noticed the sound of it clunking when they would take off before this and now it doesnt. I'm not sure it is the clutch weights that are banging or the chain tension snaping tight, but for now this has helped with smooth takeoffs.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Your not trying to creep or just ease on the gas are you, sometimes with a CVT it will act as you describe if your trying to just ease up on the RPMs and the clutch starts to grab the belt.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may be somewhat worse whem you ease into it, but it never used to do that and I wonder if there is something that needs lubing or adjusting to correct this issue. Also it seems better after it has been driven for a while.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This was happening to my sons 170 the only thing i could see was that chain was a little loose. We tightened it up and lubed it really well and it seemed to fix the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sounds like I burned a "flat spot" in my belt today. Accidently put it in High when we were quickly trying to pull out a buddy from a sinking ship situation. Good times. Hey, i am looking at dragon fire belts, any comments on them? Are they a good product line? Good Belts? Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm also interested in this. Just purchased a 2015 170 and the revs have to come up quite a bit to get it to move, then when it moves it MOVES. This car is not stock (long travel, power commander, exhaust, doors, cage, etc) and I don't know what a previous owner may have done to the clutch but if there is any advice on smoothing the clutch engagement I'd appreciate it. I see that there is a chain tensioner. How tight do you adjust the chain at static height in relation to the tensioner?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Bump for info....

The clutch is a vent racing clutch on mine. I have new weights and a primary spring but can't find info anywhere on how to remove without pulling the whole engine to adjust.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts