Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, don't hammer me too hard. I am new to SxS and not a great mechanic. But, I am learning... Installed my own winch, S&B separator and a few other things. Now I am installing my a arm and trailing arm guards from Factory UTV. In order for me to get the rear guards on properly, I need to remove my rear tire because I need to drill a hole thru my trailing arm.

I have the Pro eagle small Co2 jack. I can only lift it so high with this jack... Problem is my suspension sags so much that I cannot get the tire off the ground. Whats the technique here? Do I put a ratchet strap on one of the bars above the axle prior to lifting the car up to reduce the sag? I want to ask here because I am not sure if I will damage anything doing this. Thanks in advance for any help on this

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Can you put the jack on a spacer like trailer level squares or wood bigger then a 2X4 so you can use the totally lift capacity of the jack? Have looked at that jack and though it would let high enough on the trail to change tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a trail jack for emergencies only. Go get a floor jack.
I realize that, but I don't have a floor jack yet. This was a test run and I cant get my car up enough to pull a wheel... that's why I am on here asking for advice. Can't bring a floor jack on the trail

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you put the jack on a spacer like trailer level squares or wood bigger then a 2X4 so you can use the totally lift capacity of the jack? Have looked at that jack and though it would let high enough on the trail to change tires.

Unfortunately not. It will barely fit under the frame of the car on its lowest setting. So, I can't shim it up on the base. I hope there's a way, this was a pricey jack

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Floor jack will not do it without two 3x3 blocks on the pad. I would use that jack if I had it. Always put jack stands under a machine for safety.

Reactions: Rob_in_AZ

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Then put in under the A arm close to the tire as it will fit.

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
I have the same jack. Ideally you'll put it under the trailing arm or a-arms to lift a single wheel off the ground. Use blocks of wood under it to raise it up before extending it. Nifty little trail jack. Expect to only get one use out out of a cartridge.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
They make an air hose adapter for it to use at home with air compressor or on trail with 12v air compressor.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Guess I would have to have one to play with. Would like to have it for when need to work on a machine away from house. Now it is jack, safety stands, spacer under jack, lift again to get wheels off ground. I think it could use a bigger foot print on the ground. Bolted to larger piece of metal.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
million dollar trail jack, and dont have a $89 harbour freight floor jack lol
Those little $89 jacks are totally worthless. Not near enough travel to be useable. Now go up to the several hundred $$ and can get something useable. Best is a good quality floor jack with an extension under the jack pad.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the same jack. Ideally you'll put it under the trailing arm or a-arms to lift a single wheel off the ground. Use blocks of wood under it to raise it up before extending it. Nifty little trail jack. Expect to only get one use out out of a cartridge.
Thanks for this....I just put it under my a-arm ( wont fit under trailing arm) and got it to lift up off ground enough to get tire off. Like I said, this is mainly a trial run for use on trail. Will get proper garage jack soon.

Tried to do a lift in the front but ran into same issue. Got it barely under my front a-arm, but jack would not get me off the ground. Can I somehow tie my suspension so it wont extend when car raises or is that a bad idea?

·
Super Moderator
5,951 Posts
Those little $89 jacks are totally worthless. Not near enough travel to be useable. Now go up to the several hundred $$ and can get something useable. Best is a good quality floor jack with an extension under the jack pad.
Funny, I've been using them for decades and they work just fine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think that you should reconsider your pro eagle if it can’t jack the rzr up. That is crazy.

I have used many times, and currently use a highlift UTV jack with great success. Can also use for clamp, spreader or winch in emergencies.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Thanks for this....I just put it under my a-arm ( wont fit under trailing arm) and got it to lift up off ground enough to get tire off. Like I said, this is mainly a trial run for use on trail. Will get proper garage jack soon.

Tried to do a lift in the front but ran into same issue. Got it barely under my front a-arm, but jack would not get me off the ground. Can I somehow tie my suspension so it wont extend when car raises or is that a bad idea?
Yes you can. Use a good ratchet strap to stop the suspension from unloading. Do not need to compress more then it does sitting. Strap to roll cage works. Just had to do the very thing to recover a RZR.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Funny, I've been using them for decades and they work just fine.

Yes, Joe, they are designed for a low car. 14.5" lift is useless on a RZR. Then they are easy to tip over. Like scissor jacks or bottle jacks. Very easy to tip. Have had scissor jacks totally collapse side ways, bend to not be usable again. That seems to be your complaint on the jack mentioned. Bottle jacks are notorious dangerous. Very easy to tip. Scissor jack is extremely dangerous as they tip easy. Best jack for our needs in my book are the jacks with the big all terrain tires with the plate extensions. They are in $300 range. Problem I have with them away from home is being sure they are tied down enough to not come loose and do a great deal of damage. Have not found the perfect away from home setup yet. I like the Pro Eagle for it's size, extendability, best I have seen, lightness, easy to transport. Had a recovery I sure wish I had one. In hind sight would have been a big help. To each his own based on personnel preference and experience.

Reactions: mdp2918
1 - 20 of 49 Posts