Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to swap out the tires On my Rzr 800 and thus need to place the front and rear on jack stands. My guess is to place the stands on the frame between the lower a-arms. the problem is that this location seems narrow and a steel gusset on the front prevents the chassis tubing from resting in the jack channel. i couldn’t find any suggestions in the shop manual and wanted to see if anyone had any tips and tricks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just to replace tires I would use two jacks and jack in the center. For just tires I wouldn’t bother with jack stands. I always use jack stands when working under a car or truck but if just replacing tires on a RZR, I’d just hold it up with the jack. A RZR isn’t nearly as heavy as a car. That said, if I’m going to be working on something underneath the RZR besides just installing tires, I jack it up in the middle and then put jack stands on each side of the jack near the wheels.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Use jack stands even if just to be there just in case. We place them behind the front wheels out on the outer frame rail. Get them set wide and stable. On the rear we place them under the engine on the outside frame rails.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that the rzr will not have tires for several hours while the shop replaces them. That being said, I’m guessing it should be fine to place the stand in either side of the frame by the a arms?
Just to replace tires I would use two jacks and jack in the center. For just tires I wouldn’t bother with jack stands. I always use jack stands when working under a car or truck but if just replacing tires on a RZR, I’d just hold it up with the jack. A RZR isn’t nearly as heavy as a car. That said, if I’m going to be working on something underneath the RZR besides just installing tires, I jack it up in the middle and then put jack stands on each side of the jack near the wheels.
Use jack stands even if just to be there just in case. We place them behind the front wheels out on the outer frame rail. Get them set wide and stable. On the rear we place them under the engine on the outside frame rails.
does that mean you place them under the skid plate? i have a thick plastic skid plate that covers the area under the frame behind the wheels

·
Registered
133 Posts
As long as there is a frame rail above your skid plate then yes you can set them under the skid plate so that the Rzr’s frame is supported by the jack stands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how I ended up supporting the front end while I get the front tires replaced.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I pump it up with a floor jack, then put two floor jacks with a short piece of 2x6 on top....frame sits nice and is very stable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Careful with all four off the ground. I am redoing an 800 and have all tires off and CV shafts replacing bushings brakes and 2 shafts and a few other things. Was working on it the other day and boom down to the ground it came. Had all for stands under frame as the skid plate was off. On a level concrete floor and it came off all 4 stands. Don't know what caused it but it did. I was not under it but standing beside it at the time.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,712 Posts
Careful with all four off the ground. I am redoing an 800 and have all tires off and CV shafts replacing bushings brakes and 2 shafts and a few other things. Was working on it the other day and boom down to the ground it came. Had all for stands under frame as the skid plate was off. On a level concrete floor and it came off all 4 stands. Don't know what caused it but it did. I was not under it but standing beside it at the time.
Were you using Harbor Freight Jack Stands?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you are safe! I was doing two at a time while I was getting my tires replaced.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Were you using Harbor Freight Jack Stands?

No they were good qualty 5000 lb jack stands that I have used with no fear on my 1 ton pickup

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I had a set of those HF jack stands...I used them once or twice and then got the recall notice. Back they went!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts