Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used brake clean to wash down the belt ,the belt case and the clutches. It dried in minutes, and the belt stopped slipping and the bike runs fine.
When washing the 570 under carriage and motor compartment ,be carefull of getting water down the air intake of the belt cover. It runs right over the top of the engine and has an opening of about 3 inches round and is just an open tube.
When I was washing the top of the motor and right rear side off the engine I was pouring water onto the belt and clutches and didn't even know it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just to make sure I'm clear, the most recent time the Rzr had been stored for 2 weeks and was completely 100% dry, not moisture related.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used brake clean to wash down the belt ,the belt case and the clutches. It dried in minutes, and the belt stopped slipping and the bike runs fine.
When washing the 570 under carriage and motor compartment ,be carefull of getting water down the air intake of the belt cover. It runs right over the top of the engine and has an opening of about 3 inches round and is just an open tube.
When I was washing the top of the motor and right rear side off the engine I was pouring water onto the belt and clutches and didn't even know it.
Your belt air intake is a unprotected open tube? It is not plumbed to the side vent where the engine air intake is??

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Your belt air intake is a unprotected open tube? It is not plumbed to the side vent where the engine air intake is??

Nope its just an open snorkel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine did the same thing with about 50 miles on it. Took the cover off and tried to see what was going on and i didn't see anything wrong. Replaced the cover and tried to replicate the problem and it wouldn't do it again(knock on wood). Have ridden 100 miles with no more problems since. Wish we knew what caused it in case it happens again.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Every owner that has had this problem needs to call the 1-800 Polaris number found in your service manual and report the problem in detail to them make sure they take your VIN number

Nobody reports they have no idea their is a problem
Everybody reports then they know something is not right

DO NOT expect your dealer to report this they are stupid and lazy they never bothered to call Polaris and report problems I reported to the dealer, they said they were going to call but never did I confirmed this later on when I CALLED Polaris and reported the problems and they searched my VIN number said it was never reported.

If you dont want to get to the end of the problem do nothing and maybe have another beer :)

·
Registered
306 Posts

Are you sure thats not the exaust form the clutch case? I was told that blows on the exaust of the engine to help cool. I am sure the belt intake is on the side with the air intake.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Every owner that has had this problem needs to call the 1-800 Polaris number found in your service manual and report the problem in detail to them make sure they take your VIN number

Nobody reports they have no idea their is a problem
Everybody reports then they know something is not right

DO NOT expect your dealer to report this they are stupid and lazy they never bothered to call Polaris and report problems I reported to the dealer, they said they were going to call but never did I confirmed this later on when I CALLED Polaris and reported the problems and they searched my VIN number said it was never reported.

If you dont want to get to the end of the problem do nothing and maybe have another beer :)
Fair enough I will call when I get a free second.

Are you sure thats not the exaust form the clutch case? I was told that blows on the exaust of the engine to help cool. I am sure the belt intake is on the side with the air intake.
Here is a picture
The top open tube goes to the belt/clutch housing.
The bottom tube comes in from the intake area. *Not sure that that component is. *Unless that's the intake you speak of. *Obviously it would somehow have to route back to the clutch/belt housing behind the primary clutch

I'm not proficient yet on the machine so I'm still pointing at thing and grunting.*

Berto if feasible next time it does it pull the cover BEFORE you get it to move and check the clutches. Specifically see if the secondary (rear clutch) is grabbing the belt..it could be hanging open. If it is closed and grabbing the belt give it some throttle and see if the primary is closing( obviously best done by someone else while you watch if in gear). If the secondary turns while the trans is in gear but the machine doesn't move that is a transmission issue.
Thanks for the heads up we'll see what kind of situation I am in next time it does it! (hopefully never)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same thing happened to mine this weekend. Stole my buddy's quad, rode the 15 miles back to the truck. Pull up with the truck to get the RZR and he's just riding it around. Said after it sat, he tried it and it went right into gear. Havent been able to duplicate the problem since...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Berto if feasible next time it does it pull the cover BEFORE you get it to move and check the clutches. Specifically see if the secondary (rear clutch) is grabbing the belt..it could be hanging open. If it is closed and grabbing the belt give it some throttle and see if the primary is closing( obviously best done by someone else while you watch if in gear). If the secondary turns while the trans is in gear but the machine doesn't move that is a transmission issue.
Well guys, looks like I got it good this time. Coasting down a hill, same exact thing happened. Then again a few minutes later. Then once in the woods, stuck again.

Per your suggestion got my trusty tool kit out and went to town on the cover. I was able to get it out of gear but getting on the gas in gear it did not budge. Found out you have to remove the wheel to get the cover off (unless someone has a trick). Well either way, the 'primary' clutch is spinning but its not clamping down on the belt as the RPM's climb.

So my machine, with 10 hours left me stranded and I had to get towed out. Luckily after an hour of being there another RZR was near and flagged him down. Anything easy I can check? or just take it to the dealer?

I am actually kind of glad its 'broken good' i don't want to get back to the dealer and the problem not show itself.

Luckily I had a camera, grabbed a vid. If you compare it to the vid I posted before you can obviously see the clutch is not moving. Might not be able to hear it rev up real well but we are.

Lets see what the dealer is, my luck they won't cover it. :scared2:

MOV04289.mp4 video by BertoBizkit | Photobucket

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine when new search the threads i posted here about it. Mine required a new primary clutch to repair. The clutch busted and was hung open. Would not grab the belt.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I had a similar issue with mine when new search the threads i posted here about it. Mine required a new primary clutch to repair. The clutch busted and was hung open. Would not grab the belt.
Its at the shop since Tuesday, said they are 5 days out on work....

How many hours were on it? Did warranty cover it? did you have to fight with the dealer?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It had 10 hours on it 43 miles. Warranty did cover it. They had to replace the entire primary clutch. No problems with the dealer. Haven't had a problem since so I hope it was an isolated incident. I loaded it on my trailer and everything was normal. When I got to the farm it would not unload itself motor would just rev up. It never moved again though took it to the dealer and they immediately found the damaged clutch and ordered a new one.

·
Premium Member
7,620 Posts
Berto, I had similar problem with mine; 4.something hours on the machine and would not move, nor shift. Luckily was not stranded in middle of nowhere, was able to snag ride to my truck and go recover it. Dealer reported that the subcontractor that supplied the primary clutch to Polaris failed to lock-tite the bits that were supposed to stay together and it basically unscrewed itself enough to where the belt would not engage. They were prepared to steal a clutch from a new machine, but only had to replace a couple of fiber washers and reassemble with the proper lock-tite. I've had no problems since, other than wishing for another inch of ground clearance now and then. And softer shocks. Working on both of those...
(Shoutout for my dealer, great people! Triple S Polaris, West Haven, Utah)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Berto, I had similar problem with mine; 4.something hours on the machine and would not move, nor shift. Luckily was not stranded in middle of nowhere, was able to snag ride to my truck and go recover it. Dealer reported that the subcontractor that supplied the primary clutch to Polaris failed to lock-tite the bits that were supposed to stay together and it basically unscrewed itself enough to where the belt would not engage. They were prepared to steal a clutch from a new machine, but only had to replace a couple of fiber washers and reassemble with the proper lock-tite. I've had no problems since, other than wishing for another inch of ground clearance now and then. And softer shocks. Working on both of those...
(Shoutout for my dealer, great people! Triple S Polaris, West Haven, Utah)
Its refreshing to see someone say something positive about a ATV dealer, havent been back to mine in a few years now I rather take a beating than go back, had to laugh they sent me a letter in the mail after about a year saying they missed me :rofl3:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Alright guys, my ride is back at home cozy and warm.

After a new drive clutch assembly and belt I was out the door, Polaris covered it. The issue is that the bushing that the primary clutch slides back and forth on was completely seized up.

Which makes sense because in some cases when I came to a stop and I let off the brake pedal it would lurch forward, but wasn't enough clamp on the belt to get it to drive. So it must have been stuck in just the wrong spot.

Then finally it was seized completely up on the trail.

Initial impressions are obviously that the machine drives, so that's a plus. But when coasting to a stop from like 40mph I used to hear a 'whine' when the clutch disengaged at like 5-10mph. I don't hear that anymore.

The dealer was very helpful when I picked it up. The machine was down for a while (2 weeks?) but it was during the holidays so there as delays in the shipping as well as claim processing from Polaris, so I can't blame them for that. When I picked it up they had just changed the plug since they had fouled it from just pulling it in without warming up completely (they put in a champion), but I mentioned the issues with the champion plug (and that I had an NGK in there), and they put in an NGK right then and there.

Obviously I'm glad it was covered by warranty and that the issue was resolved. I hope I can put some miles on it to build up my confidence in the machine's reliability.

·
The Rookie
100 Posts
My 2013 570 had the same problem only i shattered that bushing into 4 pieces. Machine had 6 hours on it. Dealer said they have never seen anything like it. Replaced the bushing free of charge and everything works well.

Alright guys, my ride is back at home cozy and warm.

After a new drive clutch assembly and belt I was out the door, Polaris covered it. The issue is that the bushing that the primary clutch slides back and forth on was completely seized up.

Which makes sense because in some cases when I came to a stop and I let off the brake pedal it would lurch forward, but wasn't enough clamp on the belt to get it to drive. So it must have been stuck in just the wrong spot.

Then finally it was seized completely up on the trail.

Initial impressions are obviously that the machine drives, so that's a plus. But when coasting to a stop from like 40mph I used to hear a 'whine' when the clutch disengaged at like 5-10mph. I don't hear that anymore.

The dealer was very helpful when I picked it up. The machine was down for a while (2 weeks?) but it was during the holidays so there as delays in the shipping as well as claim processing from Polaris, so I can't blame them for that. When I picked it up they had just changed the plug since they had fouled it from just pulling it in without warming up completely (they put in a champion), but I mentioned the issues with the champion plug (and that I had an NGK in there), and they put in an NGK right then and there.

Obviously I'm glad it was covered by warranty and that the issue was resolved. I hope I can put some miles on it to build up my confidence in the machine's reliability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something like this happened to me right when I got my 570. Happened like 3 times then never again in the next 1000 miles... Never could get to the bottom of it.
so i just got the RzR like late 2018 and i just brang it home and washed it with soap and water and after it was running really high rpms and not moving. let me know what can help thx

·
Premium Member
7,620 Posts
so i just got the RzR like late 2018 and i just brang it home and washed it with soap and water and after it was running really high rpms and not moving. let me know what can help thx
Probably water in the clutch. Remove the little red plug from clutch cover and drain. Leave open and allow it to dry. Replace plug and try.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 39 of 39 Posts