Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, well my first time out with the new machine and already had an issue. Didn't ruin the day but it was very weird. Hoping to get some input.

Machine probably had about 5 hours on it at this point. We were driving on flat land and Accelerated for 3 or so seconds then let off for an ATV in front rolling back into the throttle the revs went up but it the rzr wasn't going anywhere. I can't remember what we did if we stopped and played with the shift lever or if it caught on its own, but we kept driving.

not even 20 seconds later, in the gravel lot still, all the sudden revs go up but its not going anywhere, like a transmission or belt slipping. We were stopped and tried to shift into park to go back into H but could not move the shifter level to get it out of H.

Finally after a while got it into Park, then back into H, but it would still not move, just rev up.

Tried going to park and back to H again and everything worked fine. Didn't even hiccup the rest of the day (3 hrs or so).

Anyone have this issue? or suggestions on what to check?:redrzr:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I noticed mine is a little "off" as far as the shift linkage goes, as it's not always a positive engagement until the lever is moved around a bit, which sounds like what yours might have done. I believe the linkage needs adjusted for a more centered engagement to the chosen gear, and assume it's a cabled system which of course will stretch some at first. I'm going to inspect it this evening and will let you know what I come up with.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So a bit more of an update. Got her all cleaned up from yesterday's ride and went out into an open field to see if I can replicate what happened.

So if I get going 30-40 mph and just let off the gas (no brakes), to the point where the engine brake kicks in. If I let it slow way down, i'll go to get on the gas again and it'll rev but not move. Then I can't move it out of H. I mean I am wrenching on the lever and stop because I'm afraid I might break something. If I key off and let it chill for a bit I can get it back in there.

Also one of the time where I couldn't move I just let it idle, and after a few seconds it just died.

what now?

H

·
0 Posts
Take it back to the dealer. Sounds like you may have a couple problems...
If the shifter isnt adjusted properly it could cause the shifter to hit the console before it gets into H completely..this can lead to it kicking out of H..which hopefully hasnt caused any further damage..you didnt hear any grinding when it happened? Its possible also I guess that the Primary clutch is hanging open for some reason. As for the hard shifting with the machine running but will shift fine with the engine off that is clutch related. Could be clutch alignment,bad center bearing ect..best advice I can give is take it back and let the warranty handle it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took it to the dealer yesterday and wanted to give a quick update.

The day after the original incident. I washed the Rzr from the previous days ride. With the intention of going out to drive it in the field to see if I could replicate the issue, so that when I do take it back to the dealer I can show them what its doing etc.

Well sure enough, if I got going 30-40mpg and then let it slow down on its own by getting off the gas completely and letting it cruise down it would do the same thing. Rev without going anywhere and could not move the shifter. One of the times it actually stalled out in gear. Either way I was able to get it to do it 5-6 times, so I didn't want to damage anything and felt good that when I took it to the dealer I would be able to show them the problem

Fast forward to last night went to the dealer. Explained the issue, what I think was the service manager (can't remember), said he was pretty confident it was the belt worn down due to my driving style. So he said I can leave the machine but if it is the belt its not warrantable and i'd have to pay. So I suggested taking the cover off in the parking lot and having them look at it and he was more than willing. :)

So I got a parking lot lesson on what tools I would need out on the trails to change out my belt, which I really do think is beneficial. They inspected the belt and it looked great. no issues. I then suggested, lets go out for a ride so I can show you what the issue is and i'll be on my way.

Of course.....when we go out there we did ~20 stops and nothing.....ran friggin great.

so we got back to looking and they noticed the design of the vent tube for the belt/clutches and said it looked like I had gotten a bit of water in there. Which is odd because the inside of the clutch cover had 0 signs of water being in there specially considering when we were out on the trials it would have been muddy water but we really didn't get into anything deep, didn't even get to the differentials.

So the story that was put together as a potential is that We were out on the trails, got some water in the belt vent tube. Then when I was washing it (I do remember spraying in that general direction) got water in there and when I went out for a test drive was able to get the same issue to show up.

However I think if water in the belt area was the issue It wouldn't just do it after slowing down with just the, what I call, Engine brake.

Long story short the dang thing runs fine and its so aggrevating because taking this thing to the dealer is a pretty time consuming deal. Nothing against the shop they were very willing to help and provide feedback. They suggested putting some cloth, filter, pantyhose or something over that opening to keep splashing onto the belt at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
UTV tech makes a part that goes over the air and clutch air intake that might help. It has a product of thin mesh called frog skin that will keep out most water and dirt while still letting in air. They are a forum sponsor with a link at the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Something like this happened to me right when I got my 570. Happened like 3 times then never again in the next 1000 miles... Never could get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
mine did the same thing came up a little hill in low and started out the trail so i slowed to a stop put it in hi and nothing just reved up then it shut off i put it in park and then i couldn't move the shifter so i jerked it as hard as i could and got the shifter to move but still would not go in any gear
the next day i took it to the dealer and it ran perfect and never did again

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
So what tools would that be? Thanks! :)

I got a parking lot lesson on what tools I would need out on the trails to change out my belt

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK back at it. Nice evening tonight, geting ready to install the Factory UTV skid plates wooo hoo.

The only problem is that I had this issue come around again. This time the RZR is dry as a whistle, did mostly road driving with absolutely no moisture. I got it to do it again 4 or 5 times. Same symptoms.

Anyone give guidance on what to look for, I don't want to take another half day off work to take it to the dealer only to find out it won't do it again for them. I'm getting tired of this. Its a brand new machine and I am reluctant to take it out. So much for my first Polaris purchase.

If I get going a pretty good speed and let off the gas, after a few seconds I hear a semi loud 'wheeze' or 'squeal' I'm being told thats the clutch disengaging. Well in general when I am going fast enough to hear that on decel is when I have the issues. Almost like the clutch isn't re-engaging? Does that sound right? First time messing with this system.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Additionally if I rock the machine (just while sitting in it) back and forth it seems to helps get the shift out of gear.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took the belt cover off, went for a spin. Did at least 20 stops from over 40 mph....NOTHING

so aggravating.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Make sure that both bolts that hold the clutches onto the shafts are tight. It could also be that one of the clutches is sticking and not releasing after you let off the gas. If you have some air blow the clutches out so no dirt can bind them. Using a ratchet extension move each clutch in and out to make sure they are moving freely. If one of the clutch sheaves sticks that would keep the blet from engaging and do what you are describing. You could jack up the rear end and watch the clutches while you feather the gas on and off and see if they are working right. Make sure you have the machine anchored to something while doing thiis.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When the 570 first come out there was this same issue and it was the crutches sticking. How you fix it I never herd what they did to cure it but I would look at the clutches for starters.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Make sure that both bolts that hold the clutches onto the shafts are tight. It could also be that one of the clutches is sticking and not releasing after you let off the gas. If you have some air blow the clutches out so no dirt can bind them. Using a ratchet extension move each clutch in and out to make sure they are moving freely. If one of the clutch sheaves sticks that would keep the blet from engaging and do what you are describing. You could jack up the rear end and watch the clutches while you feather the gas on and off and see if they are working right. Make sure you have the machine anchored to something while doing thiis.
Can you go into more detail on how to I am moving each sheave in and out? do I need to take the belt off?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK so I went out for a spin again today. Could not replicate it.

I took a video which some of you guys might want to take a look at, but didn't see anything wierd. Looks like the belt jumps around a bit when it slows down but nothing too crazy.

I looked into the main shaft in the primary clutch and it looks like there was some 'debris' stuck on the shaft (where the blue collar/spacer rides on). Not sure if thats dried up lube or if it would really have any effect on anything? Should I put time into cleaning that off? Or is it supposed to be there?

video

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've had my 570 for about a month,I take it out every week end, run it through the mud and in water about a foot deep no problems what so ever.
I washed the bike down real well including the underneath,when I was done the bike wouldn't move like the belt was slipping. Have not had a chance to drive again,but the only thing I did was wash it. I pulled the red plug in the belt cover and water ran out so I took off the cover and everything is completely soaked with water.
I'm going to dry it out and see what happens,I have had no issues with washing my 800 and getting the belt wet,but the bike ran ok before I washed it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts