Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2012 900XP - nice improvement over the old 800.

I'm still breaking it in, but one thing I noticed very quickly is that the muffler must run HOT. From the 1/2 way point towards the driver side, the thing has turned purple from the heat.

It's weird - if there were an obstruction in the muffler I would expect it to turn purple before the obstruction, not after. Is there a catalytic converter in there that is generating heat to burn off raw fuel caused by part throttle running or something?

Most of my break in hours have been <30 mph or so on trails around my house. Half throttle or less for the most part, so I don't go flying off the edge of a mountain. A few short bursts of speed, but I haven't maxed the thing out yet.

If there is a problem I want to get it fixed before I do any permanent damage.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yes its normal. They will all color when new and clean. Once they get wet or muddy it will turn to rust. Just the nature of the beast with new metal.

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Wrap it.

·
Premium Member
41,100 Posts
Just got my 2012 900XP - nice improvement over the old 800.

I'm still breaking it in, but one thing I noticed very quickly is that the muffler must run HOT. From the 1/2 way point towards the driver side, the thing has turned purple from the heat.

It's weird - if there were an obstruction in the muffler I would expect it to turn purple before the obstruction, not after. Is there a catalytic converter in there that is generating heat to burn off raw fuel caused by part throttle running or something?

Most of my break in hours have been <30 mph or so on trails around my house. Half throttle or less for the most part, so I don't go flying off the edge of a mountain. A few short bursts of speed, but I haven't maxed the thing out yet.

If there is a problem I want to get it fixed before I do any permanent damage.

That's normal...

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yes, get VHT Ceramic Header Coating, you can buy it in good autoparts stores, just be sure to follow ALL of the directions including the phases for "tempering" it after its dried which includes specific instructions for the first few heat-up/cool down cycles (will take you a couple of hours to do it properly). You can paint the entire exhaust inside and out and even the clam-shell heat shields. I had my first header done by Jet-Hot, did my second myself with this stuff from the auto parts store in satin black for the exaust and silver for the clam shell heat shields and the big aluminum heat shield that Polaris came out with to go between the exhaust and the seats, both sides on everything, did several coatings over several hours to build it up a little at a time. Followed the instructions for breaking it in/tempering it properly, and it's working and looking great and at less than $25 vs. over $200 for Jet-Hot coating.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good to know - thanks guys.

Just hit WOT out riding today for the first time - holy S*** this thing is fast! Could barely keep the tires hooked up. When I actually got traction, hold on!

H

·
0 Posts
I just painted mine with Rustoelum High Heat Ultra( Grill paint ) and it's held up much better than I expected it to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts