Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that the tiniest bit of belt burn can cause a misfire. I honestly don’t even recall slipping the belt at all but I’m guessing that’s what happened here (note the little inner edges on a few of the teeth)... everything on my machine is stock and never had misfire issues before and I have changed the belt once already (that time was totally my fault).

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
What you are looking for a a spot on the belt that is thinner than the rest of the belt. Called a flat spot. Hard to tell by picture, but do not see that, but pictures are deceiving. I see only normal wear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are looking for a a spot on the belt that is thinner than the rest of the belt. Called a flat spot. Hard to tell by picture, but do not see that, but pictures are deceiving. I see only normal wear.
The spot right behind my thumbnail, would that be considered a flat spot?

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Problem with picture, no depth of field. Would need a picture showing down the length of belt, not pointing down at belt. If you can see or feel a flat spot then it is a problem. Belts cheap. Destroyed clutches not so cheap.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,941 Posts
Maybe tell us more about how you've heard one little spot causes a misfire?

I can see a tiny amount of swirl on maybe 5 of the teeth.

Have you considered putting your spare, the one you never leave without, on it to see?

Reactions: 1 Polaris

·
Registered
19 rzr xp1000 ride command. 21 turbo s velocity.
58 Posts
The pcm is looking for an acceleration rate on the crankshaft. It knows when the cylinder fires, and that is an acceleration, then after that is a deceleration. The pcm can see the difference. With a worn belt, I would assume it confuses the belt slip and grab as a misfire. That’s how it works in theory. In practice, all bets are off. I am surprised they have not revised their sensitivity algorithm to avoid this phantom code.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have heard that the tiniest bit of belt burn can cause a misfire. I honestly don’t even recall slipping the belt at all but I’m guessing that’s what happened here (note the little inner edges on a few of the teeth)... everything on my machine is stock and never had misfire issues before and I have changed the belt once already (that time was totally my fault). View attachment 670607
Replace it and use it as a spare. Hard to tell good/bad belts from a picture.
It could cause a misfire if it is bad enough to cause slip.
Put on a new belt and drive in low for a bit, should clear the code...if it is the belt.
Remember, it takes about 30 miles to break-in the new belt, so first ride with new belt will be less than 100% throttle for a good portion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts