Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 with EPI mudder clutch and stock belt. Yes I have the EPI belt, but didnt get it until after I put the clutch in...

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Squeals and was slipping bad after sitting in water (I am assuming it got wet). However, after drying out it ran fine except for the squeal. What I am curious about though is when I let off and the belt "pops" for a lack of a better term.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
With all that background racket, it's hard to hear/tell just what the clutch is doing; bad demo, IMO.

Cheers

H

·
0 Posts
The popping is just the primary snapping open releasing the belt...when you rev the let off with no load the secondary cant rwact quick enough to keep the belt tight. Clutches could probably use at least a good cleaning..and if you let it slip much inspect the belt closely for hourglassing. If it sqeaks at idle water water might have gotten into the primary center bearing.
Agree on the background noise...lol

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Squeals and was slipping bad after sitting in water (I am assuming it got wet). However, after drying out it ran fine except for the squeal. What I am curious about though is when I let off and the belt "pops" for a lack of a better term.
Squeals and slipping bad after sitting in water is normal. Could have seized up your bearing from the water. How does it shift ?

Try to clean the sheaves good with brake clean, and if needed, a fine scotch brite pad. Wash the belt with dish soap and hot water. Brush the belt good with soap and rinse thoroughly. Let air dry completely. This might stop the squeal... maybe.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With all that background racket, it's hard to hear/tell just what the clutch is doing; bad demo, IMO.

Cheers

So the music affects your eye sight? Its the visual jumping that the belt does when I let off that I was talking about.

The popping is just the primary snapping open releasing the belt. Clutches could probably use at least a good cleaning..and if you let it slip much inspect the belt closely for hourglassing. If it sqeaks at idle water water might have gotten into the primary center bearing.
Thats what I was wondering. I know the bearing in the primary is bad and I already have a one way bearing in route to me. Also, the plastic bushing that is on the bolt that holds the primary is shot and is in route as well. Also going to take off this belt and put the EPI on.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
new belts are way stiff, when the primary lets off tension, it wants to return to its round state thus the slight bulge in the middle of the belt, have seen it before with no problem,I could be wrong, but the squeal is not normal and the belt or one of the clutch springs could have a problem, do an advanced search in the fix it section there is a ton of info on clutches. I found what was wrong with mine, it even showed me how to fix it. JMO
good luck , Frank
cool someone with more experiance with water jumped in ahead of me, this forum is great.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Frank, its not the new belt, it is the original stock one from 2009. I am going to put a new one on.

H

·
0 Posts
I suggest OEM belt....JMO
Dont worry about the belt jumping its normal..
Give your secondary clutch some love while your in there
And obviously the more often you get water in the housing the more often you'll be working on the clutches :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not to hijack your thread i noticed you are snorkled and your skid plate is removed. Do you ride with the skidplate removed? I do mostly mud riding and mine says full of mud, wondering if i can benefit from removing mine. Thanks

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And obviously the more often you get water in the housing the more often you'll be working on the clutches :)
Clutche springs and weights are brand new...Only have about 8 hours on them. The secondary looked good, but I will be inspecting everything when I tear it apart.

Not to hijack your thread i noticed you are snorkled and your skid plate is removed. Do you ride with the skidplate removed? I do mostly mud riding and mine says full of mud, wondering if i can benefit from removing mine. Thanks
Absolutely not.... Its removed because I have been building it for a week now. I would not recommend ever riding or mudding with out a skid. To many things in there that can be tore up.

H

·
0 Posts
Cool. In addition to the parts you are already replacing Check the primary buttons for wear..the round pads that the ends of the spider that the movable sheave slides on. Also check the rollers that the shift weights ride against. Honestly if it were me since it has to come apart for the center bearing I'd replace the buttons and rollers while I was in there
On the secondary check the rollers,helix ect..I assume you put in a clutch kit that included a secondary spring so your probably looked at that stuff..and of course a good cleaning of everything. I use brake cleaner just keep it off of the teflon bushing..which you are replacing anyway..it won't make it fall apart but I can't imagine it is good for it. And allcool said hit the sheaves of both with scotch brite and wash the belt with Dawn and hit water...yes the new one..rinse well and let it dry before installing.
I assume you have a copy of the service manual..if not its a good thing to have when tearing into things like the clutches.
Clutche springs and weights are brand new...Only have about 8 hours on them. The secondary looked good, but I will be inspecting everything when I tear it apart.

Absolutely not.... Its removed because I have been building it for a week now. I would not recommend ever riding or mudding with out a skid. To many things in there that can be tore up.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To be honest, I didnt inspect anything. It was 1am friday before labor day when I finally got to replace the springs.. I will look up what you mentioned and see about replacing them...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts