Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been out of the sxs game for awhile. I had a 900s. Nice machine. Looking to get back into it. i really like the TRE and think it would work great for the kind of riding we do. I live in NW Pa and most of our trails are on the tighter side. We do have some rocks too, but nothing too crazy. After reading as much as I can on the TRE I’m starting to wonder if low is too low for trail riding? I’m trying to figure this out so I can either order this model or go another way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve been out of the sxs game for awhile. I had a 900s. Nice machine. Looking to get back into it. i really like the TRE and think it would work great for the kind of riding we do. I live in NW Pa and most of our trails are on the tighter side. We do have some rocks too, but nothing too crazy. After reading as much as I can on the TRE I’m starting to wonder if low is too low for trail riding? I’m trying to figure this out so I can either order this model or go another way.

I have a 2017 TRE and I don't like the speed of low range for trail riding. It is too slow. Ideally there should be a 3 speed in the machine, with the middle range the same speed as a regular XP low range. That would be an awesome machine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had the same concern before buying my rock and trail edition. Don't regret it one bit.

At first it didn't seem right running 10mph at a higher RPM than I was used to. But it goes so much better in the rough stuff.

Best advice I can think to give is, what speed did you go before when you were riding in trails? If it's in the 10 to 15 mph. Then the rock and trail is perfect. Anything higher and you may want to get one of the other models with the normal low gear. But if your fine with the lower speed and being more capable going through ruts, over rocks, or going up rock ledges. Then the TRE will work.

Remember you still have the normal high gear. You can always us that on the trails.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I remeber I mostly used low on my 900s. I don’t remember actual speed I would be going. I’m guessing it was 10-20 mph. I just don’t want to make a $23,000 mistake.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I remeber I mostly used low on my 900s. I don’t remember actual speed I would be going. I’m guessing it was 10-20 mph. I just don’t want to make a $23,000 mistake.
I live in central Pa. and ride all over Pa.,but have found no place I would need the TRE.My XP1K does great on Pa. trails and I can get up to 40mph in low

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's all in what you want. About 15mph is max in low with the TRE. You can get to 20 but the motor is screaming with high RPMs. I do find myself going from low to high alot on some trails. High on the smooth spots and then back to low on the rough spots.

Would you be happy with a slower trail ride? That's really the only difference.

Also keep in mind that you can always change the gears in the transmission. I ride with a guy that has a turbo and he's installed a lower low gear in his. It's not quite as low as the TRE but very close. It's always an opinion. Yes more money but that's what it takes to get what you want and what suits you.

I understand the struggle. I spent months making a decision over the same thing. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I used to use low a lot when I first got my XP1K. Now I only really use it for really steep or technical sections. If you’re easy on the throttle you can run in high at pretty low speeds without damaging the belt. I’m at 1800 miles on my factory belt, never been slipped and looks brand new. If the money weren’t an issue, I’d opt for the TRE because the low gearing in the standard XP leaves a lot to be desired. That said, I ride a lot of technical trails in PA and elsewhere, and I’ve not slipped the belt, but a slower, more controlled approach would be nice at times. I don’t think the TRE low would be too low, because you really don’t need to spend much time in low, unless you’re just farting down the trail. In that case it might be an issue. We tend to keep a pretty fast pace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Low is a great for an uphill climb or a slippery day. I find myself using low more and less 4x4. (Trying to save that front diff) Just have to come to a quick stop and shift at the top.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I ride with a buddy that has a R&T. On technical rock crawling and hill climbing it is amazing. In places like Taylor Park where it is fast trails he says it is a bit low. The easy answer is put bigger tires on if you want a bit taller gear. I think R&T are great and I see it first hand every time we go riding. Absolutely made my mind up to put lower gears in mine.
IMG_2294.JPG

·
Registered
227 Posts
If I were to do it over again, I would not buy the TRE. I’d get a turbo and do gear reduction. Then you’d have a geared reverse and you could upgrade the front diff to an RS1 if you wanted. Don’t get me wrong the TRE is great, but you can grab a turbo for around 4K cheaper then do the gear reduction and diff and you’d be in it the same price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the replies. It’s a tough decision on what to do. Sometimes I wish there wasn't so many options. I’ve thought about doing the turbo and just doing some upgrades as needed. Than I found myself looking at the pro. The worst part of this is I originally thought I wanted a General XP. 🤣

·
Registered
540 Posts
This is where low gear shines and the TRE rules. If you ride here this is the right rig. Requires nothing off the dealer floor to get through this stuff. No need to go buy a winch, tires or suspension arms. It was made for this.
You got high gear for faster trails. Only time I wish for more is higher altitudes, but really don't need it myself. More power usually means higher maintenance and more repairs IMO.

DSC3459.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love my R&T but my group rock crawls a lot. steep, tight, off camber trails. My R&T really shines in the boulder fields, love crawling waterfalls with it. (private property)
I do wish it had geared reverse but I am very mindful of the chain when in reverse and I don't abuse my stuff. well not too much. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just did a gear reduction on my Rzr4 turbo. I love it. Almost burned up a belt going up Wipe-out hill in Moab, so that was it. Low was not low enough. Gear reduction lowered the low range another 26.6% and the high end by 12.9%. Perfect in my opinion. !

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just did a gear reduction on my Rzr4 turbo. I love it. Almost burned up a belt going up Wipe-out hill in Moab, so that was it. Low was not low enough. Gear reduction lowered the low range another 26.6% and the high end by 12.9%. Perfect in my opinion. !
I'm glad you chimed in because I've got an XP-4 non turbo that I've been thinking about gear reduction. Sounds like the 26% reduction is what I'll be looking for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2019 High Lifter, only because the TRE was/is not available in a 4 seat option. The low gearing is the same as the TRE. I put 32's on it immediately because I am not a MUD guy and the stock Outlaw 2 tires are not for anything but mud. It was about perfect for trail riding in the 15-18 mph and slower range in low and awesome on the more technical rocky stuff. Recently I have just stepped up to 34" warriors and so far I am happy with the low range performance, took it out for its maiden voyage over the weekend an no real noticable changes in low range performance. I only run in High range when on gravel or blacktop. The only change I made to the belt/clutch is I run the Hunterworks thick belt, clutching is stock, but again I am a low and slow rider. I have 2 buddies with TRE's and they have both recently went to 32" tires as well with no complaints. The TRE's are solid machines IMO.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
You can do the same gear reduction to any new model for a few hundred dollars if you buy something else and determine you want lower gears. I also believe the turbo models will hold their value better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm glad you chimed in because I've got an XP-4 non turbo that I've been thinking about gear reduction. Sounds like the 26% reduction is what I'll be looking for.
My son in law has a non turbo 1000 and he did it as well. We both love the change. Different gears though for the non-turbo .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts