Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking of getting a 2021 RZR Trail Sport (900) because local used inventory one craigslist/marketplace is so scarce, old, and expensive. My justification is that I can get a solid 3 years of enjoyment out of a new machine and then sell it if I do not enjoy the hobby. I understand accessories are usually a wash.

My question is, Has anyone here ever bought a rzr and then sold it private party? If so, how did you make out?

I'll give an example using my motorcycle as an example:

Bought it for $3500+tax ($4000 otd) in 2016, sold it for $3000 in 2018.

I am totally happy with that outcome, as I was able to "try out" the hobby and my only expense was helmet and leathers (which I sold online). I am estimating that I could get $10,000 after 3 years. I'm totally fine with paying $1600 a year to rent a SxS (assuming 15k otd). I've paid $600 to rent them for a day haha. Just looking for number and advice on this topic if anyone can help. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Following. I'm was in the same situation last year and bought a 2020 RZR 900 Trail (base) for $12,800 OTD since the used market was trash and expensive. I prefer 2 wheels but got the SxS to have some fun with my kids but they only like to go 60 mph through the woods and I'm more comfortable with slower trail exploring. I will likely give it another year or two and if there is still no rational interest, I'll sell it and go back to 2 wheels so they don't die or kill someone. I probably won't have many miles on it (under 1000) so I'm hoping to get close to $10,000 but I think it largely depends on where the economy and pandemic is in a few years.

·
Registered
2021 1000 XP
643 Posts
Purchased new in early 2012: 2012 RZR 570 otd $9,300
Sold January 2021, with winch, RotoPax, spring kit: $4,000
~100 hours on second motor. Not sure on the total chassis miles but a lot.

All the best, James

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a 2021 RZR Trail Sport (900) because local used inventory one craigslist/marketplace is so scarce, old, and expensive. My justification is that I can get a solid 3 years of enjoyment out of a new machine and then sell it if I do not enjoy the hobby. I understand accessories are usually a wash.

My question is, Has anyone here ever bought a rzr and then sold it private party? If so, how did you make out?

I'll give an example using my motorcycle as an example:

Bought it for $3500+tax ($4000 otd) in 2016, sold it for $3000 in 2018.

I am totally happy with that outcome, as I was able to "try out" the hobby and my only expense was helmet and leathers (which I sold online). I am estimating that I could get $10,000 after 3 years. I'm totally fine with paying $1600 a year to rent a SxS (assuming 15k otd). I've paid $600 to rent them for a day haha. Just looking for number and advice on this topic if anyone can help. Thanks!
My first Rzr, a '16 900S, was a total of $16K in my area, with taxes. I sold it one year later in perfect condition with 400 miles and a $850 in accessories for $12K. That was absolutely all I could get.

Fortunately, I got a smoking deal on a '17 XP so the difference was negligible and I ended up with the machine I really wanted.

My experience is that they get hit hard on resale. Couple reasons:
1. most people want new because so many trash their machines.
2. most people can not afford $10K or more without a 5 year loan and dealerships can "give" them that option.

·
Registered
294 Posts
My first Rzr, a '16 900S, was a total of $16K in my area, with taxes. I sold it one year later in perfect condition with 400 miles and a $850 in accessories for $12K. That was absolutely all I could get.

Fortunately, I got a smoking deal on a '17 XP so the difference was negligible and I ended up with the machine I really wanted.

My experience is that they get hit hard on resale. Couple reasons:
1. most people want new because so many trash their machines.
2. most people can not afford $10K or more without a 5 year loan and dealerships can "give" them that option.
Similar experience for me with a 900S4.

Bought a 2013 800 50" in March 2018 for $6600, sold in May 2018 for $6300 as it was my "testing the hobby vehicle"
Bought a 2018 900 S4 in May 2018 for $16k, traded it in 1yr later for a 2019 XPT4, dealer only gave me $11k for it, tried selling it myself, but still nobody wanted to pay more than $10-11k for it used despite only having 600miles and not a scratch on it.

My theory is the problem is with the 900/1000 "S" models and target market. People who want/need a small or narrow UTV go with the 50" trail or even a utility based SXS, but the "S" is considered sporty and has to compete in terms of market desirability with the XP which outshines the S in pretty much every category causing the S to degrade rapidly in resell value, despite it costing 95% as much as a XP new. The 800 and 900xp models are 6yrs old and have a different market target and thus do not suffer so badly.

I still see plenty of XPs and XPTs going for 80% or more of new sale prices in my area, especially 4 seaters.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I sold my 2019 RZR Turbo in October 2020 for $500 more than I paid for it new a year earlier. At least here in Virginia, new inventory at dealerships are so scarce that the used market is on fire. I listed it on Facebook marketplace on a Monday and had cash in hand on that Thursday.

Now, that was a turbo. In my area there is no, none, zero demand for a 50” trail model. I downsized because we ride mostly on tight wooded 4-wheeler trails and the turbo just would not fit. There are only a few people that I know that buy the 50” trail models. We often worry that Polaris will stop making it. I’ve had three other 50” RZRs and all of them sold for several thousand dollars less than I what I believed they were worth. It’s just the nature of the business right now. Horsepower and size sell. Smaller specialty purpose rides don’t. At least here in Virginia.

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That's where I'm at right now. I want to buy new for reliability. However, I also do not want to not feel bad if I myself end up trashing it. Decisions, decisions.
Good used "deals" exist. Like mine, it was well maintained and never trashed. The guy that bought it was a friend of my riding buddy, so he knew from a first hand contact what the story was on my machine.

Buying new doesn't guarantee trouble free.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts