Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the RZR world, was going to post a proud pic of my new 011 S LE, but I'm a bit disappointed in the suspension. Perhaps I just f*%$ed up and bought the wrong vehicle.

Anyway as posted in another thread first of all I was expecting 12.5 inches of clearance as advertised but it's really only 10 off the showroom floor. I checked the shocks and preload is where it's supposed to be and I've got 8lbs pressure in the tires. Pretty ridiculous discrepancy imo.

Sure, I've got about 12" clearance in the front and about 11" in the rear but its still only 10" down the middle. Really don't want to crank up the preload gaining an even stiffer ride to get the advertised clearance either, I'm rather disappointed. You'll laugh at me but my lowly rhino se rides the bumps like a Cadillac whereas in the RZR I'm feeling every bump, sometimes hard. And I have the 5 way adjusters on the Rhino cranked up all the way too. Can anyone generalize the ride quality of the makin trax springs? Stiffer or Softer? I'm mystified, a heavier vehicle with only 7.5 inches of travel and crappy shocks on the Rhino yet it has a smoother ride... (I realize the RZR can take the whoops and jumps at much higher speeds tho)

So is there a way to tweak the ride? Something akin to a magic carpet or at least equal to the Rhino would be nice. And give me back my clearance! That said I can't believe how much better the RZR corners than the Rhino and it's obviously much faster and a lot prettier. Still, I find the Rhino more comfortable, it steers with less movement of the wheel, and I really miss the handling of fulltime 4wd around the corners without the rear sliding out. (Yeah I know that's part of the fun, maybe I'll adjust, I did take note of using the throttle to sharpen the turns)

For $15k, thought I was going to get to eat the cake too. My bad. Looks like my money slated for a winch, skids, and roof is instead likely going to springs a lift and spacers. I hope somebody honestly tells me the progressive springs are really cushy.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
I'll risk responding. I do not have an S. I have had just Prog. springs. IMHO they should give you some increased height and performance, but "cushy ride" No! My Rhino days drive was not in your ride. I would describe it as a "noisy ride in a small old tractor" Your initial experience doesn't sound like what I would expect.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Get hold of Steve at Makin' Trax. He's a site vendor. He'll be able to tell you all you need to know about your RZR suspension. He can even revalve your shocks if you need to.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the makin Trax springs. The ride is sooo much better, at low speeds it's a softer ride and overall a huge improvement over stock springs. Also you will get the 12" of clearance back as the progressive springs don't sag.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
He did, it is an interesting request. I am so used to reducing bottoming and providing a better ride throught the whoops that his question to me knocked me back. My first reaction and answer was "I can't help you", really. Due to the fact that the stock "S" is so grossly under sprung already. This is evidenced by his ride height. My opinion of a stock "S" on stock springs is it is a marshmello. Couldn't ask for a softer ride.

So my best answer again is turn the preload up so you gain your ride height you desire and go riding "offroad". Turning up the preload a bit will not stiffen linear rate springs.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you wanted a caddilac ride you should not have bought a Porsche. You can get more clearence with a ROK TEK lift kit it will increase your clearance somewhat. The orginal springs will still however sag with wear. I don't think you can do anything to get a big car ride out of a sports car. I put air suspension on mine, thinking I would get a smoother ride. It is a little smoother but not a Caddilac, I can increase the height to 15" but as you increase air preasure the ride stiffens. Once you get over your issues you will love your RZR. They are a kick

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't want to confuse the issue, when I said the low speed ride was softer then stock I should have mentioned that I had preloaded my stock springs to help with the bottoming out problem. So compared to a significantly preloaded stock spring the progressive is a softer low speed ride, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
The addition of the Roktec or RacerTech kits would stiffen the ride due to the change in shock angle giving the springs closer to 100% value than the stock angle. As well the shocks will also work better (stiffer) and he has already backed the adjuster all the way soft. My opinion is on the tip of my tongue but the words won't come out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got back from a ride this weekend with my 2011 S and was a little disappointed in the ride as well,,the rear shocks felt a lil stiff threw the woops,other then that over all performance of it was great for bone stock out of the box. If there is something that could be done I'm all over it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i agree also. although these are fully adjustable shocks. turn your reservoir screw counter clockwise until it stops then give it two clicks clockwise for front and back shocks. then loosen your rear springs 1/2'' on each side. now lower your air pressure to 8 psi per tire. this makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Gonna play with ours (it started out being "hers" but now it's progressed :) ) the first ride out. Gonna save some coin for the Steve Springs. I bought the 2010 don't know if there is any difference in springs. This time next week it will be sitting in the garage.

Rough ride? Go faster over the bumps! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok just checked the shocks,,,,,,:rm_thumbdown:rear left side took 13 clicks to stop and rear right sid to 9 ckicks,not to mention the brake fluid was at the add mark,oh well so much for dealer"PDI",,,,,so I turned all 4 counter clock to stop an 2 clicks out,I'm gonna try this first an see how it goes,thanks again for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Ok just checked the shocks,,,,,,:rm_thumbdown:rear left side took 13 clicks to stop and rear right sid to 9 ckicks,not to mention the brake fluid was at the add mark,oh well so much for dealer"PDI",,,,,so I turned all 4 counter clock to stop an 2 clicks out,I'm gonna try this first an see how it goes,thanks again for the input.
what sort of trails do you run and at what speeds?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mostly sand but a lil dirt tralis.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
Speeds?

·
Registered
29 Posts

1 - 20 of 44 Posts