Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
We went riding at Dirt Nasty in Morehead KY yesterday afternoon. There were lots of steep grades down which required a lot of braking. After about an hour of driving, we headed back to the parking area to switch off and let my wife drive. We immediately headed down a hill and heard a strange rubbing sound coming from the left rear. It only did it for a second or 2 but it was obvious. When we got to the bottom, I checked for anything stuck or binding - nothing in tires, wheel wells clear, rotors turning smoothly etc. Even had her drive it back and forth to try to see anything. We kept on riding for another hour and a half or so. It did not come back until the last 15 minutes and again just on occasion. With only 200 or so miles on the car would not think it's the belt but that was the only thing we could come up with. Anyway, going to pull the cover when I change the oil, but wondered if anyone had other suggestions on things to check or if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks y'all.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #2
So I'm starting to think mine is the only RZR to have this issue. Could not spot anything in the belt compartment, so I guess she's going to the dealer. I hate to have her there for weeks when the weather just turned awesome here - they tend to be backed up. But I sure don't want to keep riding and either hurt something (whatever is rubbing) or break down on the trail, esp since it's usually just the 2 of us alone. 馃

Premium Member
It is hard to guess what it might be... these things make all kinds of noises. If you dont see anything obvious and you have inspected the clutch I would let it go for a while. Chances are the dealer is just going to waste your money unless you can get it to do it consistently while they have it ...IMO...I would try and get a video of it if possible

Registered
So thats called belt slap. usually happens when using engine braking at low speeds (like you described) It can rub in two places either the top part of the case or the bottom part of the cover, inbetween the primary and secondary. depending on how long its been doing it will determine how easy the rub marks are to see on the case or cover.

I know this because I had this issue. There can be many reasons why its happening some are simple and some are not so simple.

Belt could be stretched
Distance between the primary and secondary are shorter (trans and engine are not spaced properly or they have moved)

I took my 2019 back to the dealer (although not at first) and they said it was the belt, it stretched. This was not covered under warranty. But it is good to get it on record, I will get into that later. Now after they replaced the belt, it didn't do it anymore (they didn't say they did anymore work then replace the belt) but I did request them to check the spacing between the engine and trans.

Something else I did was replace the secondary pucks with round rollers from Hunterworks and switched to their belt (there belt's top ribs are not as tall)

I also had another issue. I couldn't really get over 62mph, it wouldn't do it. I told the dealer that as well. When they replaced the belt it did fix the issue for a ride but then it came back. Well come to find out, my spider nut and spider were slowly backing off until it the cut completely backed off. Causing my speeds to drop to roughly 35mph. Took it to a different dealer and they replaced the entire primary (this was a warranty replacement because the spider and spider nut is supposed to have a thread locker on them and apparently its not getting done at the factory). That dealer said this most likely caused the belt to stretch in the first place and it should have been replaced under warranty.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. It's only done this on one ride and just for a couple seconds probably a total of 10 times. I figure it is doubtful that it could be replicated at the shop - that almost never happens no matter the vehicle or issue. I'll try to check a little more closely to see if there are any marks top or bottom. I plan to buy a spare belt to carry since we ride alone a lot and cannot rely on someone else having one when I need it.

Hard to figure what would have caused the belt to stretch so soon - 200 miles. I followed all the break-in procedures to try prevent issues like this. Somehow my 900 made it to trade-in at 2500 miles with no belt issues. Perhaps this is just a fluke and I was the lucky stiff to get the buggy with the issue lol.

Anyway, do you all recommend a different belt - like the Hunter - for a spare or should I straight up replace the oem now?

Thanks.

Registered
Buy the Hunterworks belt and pull the OEM belt for a spare.

Reactions: CyborgPirate

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Will do. Thanks!

Registered
Rocks catch on the brake rotor and rub on inside of rim. Stopping and backing up usually clears the rock. Can take more then once to clear.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip - I'll check that out.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I removed the cover again and washed it up in the utility sink to take a closer look. There are 2 very light scuff marks on the upper inside lip. They are smooth to the touch - no scrapes - but are visible in the sunlight. Took a couple of pics but they look more pronounced in the pictures than live. Do these look like belt slap marks? Will switching to the Hunter belt fix the issue? Will I be ok riding with oem belt until a new one arrives? Thanks all. I'm just learning about the machine so sorry if these are basic questions.

IMG_20200920_103138420.jpg IMG_20200920_103138420.jpg

Registered
Go to hunter works.com. He has videos on this and the cure. Can also email him the pictures along with what machine and he will tell you what you need to stop it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the recommendation. I will do that right away

Registered
Just order his belt and the secondary rollers, that will be his recommendations.

Assuming you don't have a underlying major issues (like I mentioned above, motor/tranny alignment or spacing).

Its ok to keep riding, it's not really hurting anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts