Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so...my 2017 turbo has been out of warranty for a while now....im considering replacing the stock intercooler with a stronger aftermarket one...dont want the stock one to fail and loose an engine....i have found 3 different aftermarket ones that i am considering they are K&T...CBR...and a co called motor mission...has anybody tried any of these or seen the quality of these intercoolers...any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Agreed... it either has a factory defect which is possible with any thing ,or it is probably fine .

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just overkill on my part im sure...but it sounds like when one does let go it gets the engine...

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Definitely , good peace of mind ... No argument hear, I just have lots of other areas to focus on as well in the maintenance dept ...and my budget to consider . I think it is good insurance

·
Registered
75 Posts
Highly likely to lose an engine from an intercooler failure if you don't catch it. Pretty hard on things when the intercooler leaks and pumps coolant right into the intake. Super annoying this is even a cause for concern, a total failure on Polaris' part.

I know of 3 that have failed, one lost an engine not realizing what was happening, one got covered under warranty. The third was in our group and just out of warranty, we could have burned it up trying to get home before realizing what it was and bypassing.

It is a known issue.

I carry a splice kit, male to male tubing connector and hose clamps and check coolant level daily when riding in my rig. First sign of trouble and bypass the thing before it is too late.

I saw the unit from K&T, it was a very nice piece and is holding up fine in my buddies rig. Was not replaced for performance reasons, stock one failed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have seen K&T for 700 also....motor mission advertises that they have several of theirs on 40# boosted cars with 0 failures...no idea on CBR

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and.....i have a friend that his intercooler cracked and hydro locked his engine...his just went off warranty and polaris covered him a new engine....he belongs to a big farming family with lots of sxs vehicles....so i doubt they would do that for me...lol

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,085 Posts
Man....I would hope a guy would notice the white plume of smoke coming out the exhaust before it got to the hydrolock stage....all the intercooler failures I've seen just dumped a little coolant in the manifold and it was a smoke screen behind them...but if you guys are that concerned about it...I retract my previous statement.

·
Registered
75 Posts
LOL, every situation is different right?

The only one I have been involved with, we had no idea what was going on and were in the middle of the Mexican desert 2 days from our trailer wondering if a head gasket had been lost. Thats why the forum can be so great, we were scratching our heads when it hit me that I had read about them failing. That info definitely saved us from trying to limp it back and damaging anything. It barely smoked, just sputtered and would not clear out, coolant was suddenly low.

One other was riding with at least 30 other rigs, pulled up a dune face and felt a surge, just thought he slipped his belt. They pulled over for lunch, it sat and cooled down; went to re-start and it sputtered, got it to start and revved to clear it out and boom. He actually got a whole new engine in before even realizing the unit had failed.

We figure the pressurized system bled down and filled the intake while it sat, no one ever saw a puff of smoke.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The one I was riding behind after it blew had NO smoke at all. Not sure why you feel that's the only sign it would have been leaking.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
back to top.....had a second friends 2017 4 seat turbo loose an intercooler last weekend....no damage to motor but plenum was full of antifreeze...no smoke he just felt it loose power and smelt antifreeze...he said he thought he blew a head gasket and i told him to check his intercooler.....he replaced with cbr...nice unit.

·
Morris Racing #711
473 Posts
I think it would be a safe bet to upgrade that with all of the problems people have had, especially if you are running over 20 psi on an upgraded or big turbo. $700 is a lot cheaper than a new engine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts