Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Any pics of the CVT intake? I'll have to take off the backside of the bed to check it out. Man that is disappointing.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Any pics of the CVT intake? I'll have to take off the backside of the bed to check it out. Man that is disappointing.
No I don’t have any pics for CVT intake sucks all the heat and dust in.I snorkeled my CVT similar to my engine air filter snorkel.

·
Registered
952 Posts
OK wait, so even in the 2021 the stock set-up does not connect to the vents on the side of the bed? They are open to behind the seat? Or are they open behind that grille?
Open behind the grille which is a boxed off area but not sealed tight so dust gets in.

·
Registered
952 Posts
This is a 15 and the basket under the outerwear was mounted under it's current location in a boxed off area. On this model you only have to remove the cowling section where the extended CVT tube goes in in the pic.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
The Dust and heat destroyed my secondary clutch. i snorkeled and filtered with washable R2C 11,000 miles ago. Every thousand miles I wash the filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Read through this post and curiosity got the better of me. Mines a fairly standard 2015. Took the cowl off to have a look. Within 10 seconds I realised that I was looking at a very well designed air/mud and water separator plenum chamber...both sides. At no time would I want the external intakes directly ported to the air filter box. Mud and water come in through the external NACA type inlets into the plenum chambers and drain away The actual air intakes are protected by the plenums, which are well sealed from dust.
Well...that's my take on it anyway.
I'd say the designer probably shares a rubber room with the designer of the P3 Orion propeller. Sometimes brilliance comes at a cost. lol

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Read through this post and curiosity got the better of me. Mines a fairly standard 2015. Took the cowl off to have a look. Within 10 seconds I realised that I was looking at a very well designed air/mud and water separator plenum chamber...both sides. At no time would I want the external intakes directly ported to the air filter box. Mud and water come in through the external NACA type inlets into the plenum chambers and drain away The actual air intakes are protected by the plenums, which are well sealed from dust.
I'd say the designer probably shares a rubber room with the designer of the P3 Orion propeller. Sometimes brilliance comes at a cost. lol
You got any pictures to show everybody the design. Of the CVT Air intake and the engine air filter box inlet???

·
Registered
9 Posts
You got any pictures to show everybody the design. Of the CVT Air intake and the engine air filter box inlet???
They can take their own cowl off and have a look. It's a 15 minute job to R&I. There'll be those who know what they're looking at, and those who don't.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I would be very happy to help everybody out, and take the cover off behind the seats to show the flawed design. But unfortunately I have a aluminum cab Sliding glass back window. And a tire Rack attached to that and the rollbar it would take me well over two hours to disassemble everything.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I like that part of the design I'm just not a fan of all the dust it lets in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The idea then would be to limit dust entering the plenum from the side intakes and and flaws in the cowl behind the seats. The prefilter and outerwear I fashioned will address the side vents, I just need to seal any leaks in the cowl that would let unfiltered air into the plenum. I will be pulling mine off so I'll try to get a few pics. I do appreciate the design Quickfix mentioned although Polaris' implementation may be somewhat flawed.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
The idea then would be to limit dust entering the plenum from the side intakes and and flaws in the cowl behind the seats. The prefilter and outerwear I fashioned will address the side vents, I just need to seal any leaks in the cowl that would let unfiltered air into the plenum. I will be pulling mine off so I'll try to get a few pics. I do appreciate the design Quickfix mentioned although Polaris' implementation may be somewhat flawed.
My friend 2015 570 The dealer snorkel his from the filter box through the consul tunnel and mounted a new aftermarket air canister in the front of the Rzr under the hood on the firewall.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Went for a 43 mile round-trip today to do this temperature test, 86° in the cab 132° inside the cover by the air filter box put my temperature probe through the vent side of my Engine air filter snorkel. 5 to 30 MPH topSpeed. 132° is way too hot with the oem Air filter intake set up,

·
Registered
952 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
View attachment 676989 View attachment 676990 View attachment 676991 View attachment 676987 Went for a 43 mile round-trip today to do this temperature test, 86° in the cab 132° inside the cover by the air filter box put my temperature probe through the vent side of my Engine air filter snorkel. 5 to 30 MPH topSpeed. 132° is way too hot with the oem Air filter intake set up, View attachment 676988
Well don’t forget you have no air moving into that box now that u bypassed it with the snorkel

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
I made nice prefilters for those vents? View attachment 676785
I don’t have that much air restriction the left side vent completely open the clutch inlet tunnels completely open and on the right hand side vent still has some louvers unrestricted. I see your homemade pre-filters restrict more airflow then my set up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I don’t have that much air restriction the left side vent completely open the clutch inlet tunnels completely open and on the right hand side vent still has some louvers unrestricted. I see your homemade pre-filters restrict more airflow then my set up.
No what I was suggesting is the temps that u found would not be the same if you had the stock set up and were sucking air thru the plenum. The temp would likely be lower

·
Registered
12 Posts
With the side vents it's a terrible design if you ride in dusty areas like me in the desert. When riding the dust swirls up and gets sucked into the vents. My air filter needed to get cleaned after every ride and after installing a particle separator my filter looks new and clean after 9mos so far... I also ran a tube up for the clutch side and don't blow clouds out of my clutch when cleaning like before. Clutch Intakes | Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

41 - 60 of 79 Posts