Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Intake upgrade / fix on 09?

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  MTW 
#1 ·
Is there a factory upgrade or fix out for the intake/dust problem on the 09's? I have an S, but I think the intakes are all the same. I have 5 year warranty but would rather not have to do battle with polaris at a later date if possible.

#3 ·
If your boot from the air filter to the throttle body has a bellows it is the upgrade that fixed the problem of the air filter assembly coming off.
I would suggest removing all of you components and cleaning with Brakleen and reassembling when wet. That will cause them to adhere tightly and will not dislodge.
Another suggestion would be look at the "budget Mods" thread, I just posted some pictures of how I sealed the air intake box and made a divider for air flow.
Using a pre-filter on your air filter is a help too.:ride:

#4 ·
#8 ·
No flame here but to be fair the picture you show is an early model intake boot with no bellows.
The bellows was changed in the 09 model year and some slipped though with the old style part.
I just upgraded my throttle body and intake to the cylinder requiring all items to be removed for the install.
On inspection of my unit there was no dirt, dust or sand upon viewing the internals.
While I am considering an UMP and it is a good piece to have it is not a death knell having the original assembly if the correct boot with bellows is present.
My reason for the UMP would be more air flow and the swirl action to reduce impact on the filter.
I have no problem with Vendors hawking their wares.

#6 ·
Yes, it's the only after market filter I sell for the RZR. I guess you can say that I have a biased opinion on the system because I sell it, but I don't BS my customers and my website isn't how I earn a living....it started out as a hobby and is now a second job I do after work. Honestly the DFR filter works just as well, but it's more $$. They both use the same concept, mounting the air can to the motor/tranny vs the frame. I would recommend either.

Ranger/RZR/Rhino/Teryx Offroad Parts and Accessories (alpinesandtoys.com) / UMP Intake for Polaris RZR & RZR-S & RZR4

#9 ·
This is one of the most debated problems on this forum. I can only tell you from 1st hand knowledge that some of the later '09 's with the "bellows" type intake hose still have the dust in the T.B. problem. In my personal group of 4 '09 S-models, all with the bellows conection, 2 had and continued to have after checking, tightening and praying, dust in the T.B. After installing UMP's no more problems. I don't know why, but according to a poll on this forum, 50% of poll respondents had problems, enough to change their intakes.

#10 ·
I did the stock air-intake system.... Than I bought a Ump...W/ Both intake systems...up-here where I do most of my riding... during the summer months.. the dust is very fine... and did get into throttle body and into engine W/ both air in-take systems....They need to come up here to test there air in-take systems, but since I did it... may-be no need for them to:)....Any-way my solution to solve this problem was a different air filter intake system all-together...I am going to do a write up on Junk Yard air intake system...in a few weeks...just stay tuned.....Here is a video of the dust up here...and both the stock and UMP did not cut the mustard up here:)....Also note...that both other systems prolly work fine in most places:)...I just wished they worked up-here

#12 ·
I did the stock air-intake system.... Than I bought a Ump...W/ Both intake systems...up-here where I do most of my riding... during the summer months.. the dust is very fine... and did get into throttle body and into engine W/ both air in-take systems....They need to come up here to test there air in-take systems, but since I did it... may-be no need for them to:)....Any-way my solution to solve this problem was a different air filter intake system all-together...I am going to do a write up on Junk Yard air intake system...in a few weeks...just stay tuned.....Here is a video of the dust up here...and both the stock and UMP did not cut the mustard up here:)....Also note...that both other systems prolly work fine in most places:)...I just wished they worked up-hereYouTube - Cattle Camp some Dust
Snorkel the air box and run a uni on the snorkel and your problem will be gone. I always carry a extra uni on long rides so if they get stoped up I can just swap it out. Not only will the TB be clean but your air box and factory filter will be fairly clean to. This is the sure fix.

#13 ·
RZR riders, I bought a 2009 hold oever RZR with no miles, went for a ride last week and ended up being towed out by a Rino. Took it to the shop last week. Got a call from my Polaris dealer today. Sure enough I have dirt injestion and low compression. I figured no problem it only has 44 hrs and 489 miles. To my surprise Polaris basically said to bad. They said there was no documentation that it had dirt building up. Hey polaris its a new machine and just was serviced 40 miles before that. My dealer is going to rebuild it and hope that after I get the Attorney General involed and whoever else I need he will get paid. He did ask if all avenues are exhausted that I will take care of him. I told him thats more than fair. Its to bad we have great dealers to work with and the company puts it to him and the customers. I cant believe I find myself writing the same thing in here that I have been seeing from others. Polaris needs a class action suit as I have been hearing to waken them up. This being said I installed the K&N between the seat with the Holz cover and having the dealer install the UMP I ordered. Just my opinion guys I would do the same or you'll have your machine in the shop. By the way I cleaned my filter after every dusty ride. Its the worst air filter induction I have ever seen. Good luck guys and thank you for reading my thoughts. A big KUDO"S to Coveside Wheel & Ski. Thanks Kerry. COVE-SIDE WHEEL & SKI NEWPORT, ME (207) 368-2252

#15 ·
I'm hoping with 30 hours and running ok making the change now to a DFR will save it.
It won't hurt. You can start by taking things apart to see how it looks now. With all the talk of dust ingestion, the least you'll gain is peace of mind.

I went with the Donaldson canister and filter, and a K&N pre-filter.. 30 miles of trailing my daughters quad in the flour out by Amargosa, and not a speck to be found past the main filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.