Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I will be installing a head shim on my 2012 xp 900 this weekend and I was just wondering if there are any tips or tricks I should know before I start. I have downloaded the service manual and read through the procedure several times. It seems pretty straight forward. One thing I am not sure on is do I need to spray the shim and gaskets with the copper gasket sealer and is it okay to reuse the head bolts? Should I be worried about not replacing the lower cylinder gasket or will it be okay as long as I am careful? Is there a good way to keep the coolant out of the cylinders when the head is removed? Any input would be much appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
If you are careful and don't lift the cylinder, you should not worry about base gasket, it is good that water don't go thru this gasket. I was re sealing my head gasket and no problem with re used base so far. I never saw the head shim for 900, is the shim sandwiched between two gaskets ? I assume you lower the compression because of turbo , I will go with the head studs instead of bolts then. IMO
If you drain water from hose going to water pump, the cylinder will be empty, you don't need to worry about water getting on pistons. Good luck

milos

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello everyone I will be installing a head shim on my 2012 xp 900 this weekend and I was just wondering if there are any tips or tricks I should know before I start. I have downloaded the service manual and read through the procedure several times. It seems pretty straight forward. One thing I am not sure on is do I need to spray the shim and gaskets with the copper gasket sealer and is it okay to reuse the head bolts? Should I be worried about not replacing the lower cylinder gasket or will it be okay as long as I am careful? Is there a good way to keep the coolant out of the cylinders when the head is removed? Any input would be much appreciated. thanks
Did you have any issues with the base gasket. I am getting ready to do the same thing and was a little worried about it.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
You shouldn't reuse the original head bolts. They are torque to yield bolts. Go with new ones or just go with head studs.

·
Registered
653 Posts
When I used the head shim, I reused the base gasket and cylinder bolts with no problems. I also reused the head gasket with copper seal.

Cut the tabs on the head gasket, discard the center gasket, wipe outside gaskets clean and coat them evenly with a little C.S. I also did the shim. Make sure they go back the same way they came apart (outide gaskets pieces that is). I hang the gaskets with a little piece of wire to spray them BTW and let them dry for like 30 mins.

I have literally used one head gasket 10+ times on an engine that I did many different builds on with copper spray. Stuff works great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree on the bolts. the service manual is not completely clear on the cylinders and cylinder heads.. It says you can service the cylinder head without removing engine, but if you remove head bolts the seal between cases and the cylinders has been disturbed to some extent, and normally I would change the base gasket. That would involve splitting the cases. So which is it , can I do head work without splitting cases. If I have to split cases to do head work, then I would want to do new pistons at that time.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You do not have to split the cases to remove either the head or the cylinder. Contrary to what people say on here, I reinstalled my stock pistons back in my stock cylinder by myself in 20 mins. No hung rings and rolled over smoothly afterwards. Again, I reuse my base gaskets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts