Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From all the threads I've read on here trying to do as much research as I can, it seems to improve the ride (smoother on rough trails and softer landings) the best way to go is new springs, correct?

Can you just replace the springs or do you really need to replace the Fox shocks that come with the S LE?

I like the ride of my RZR but I was expecting it to be a little smoother/softer while trail riding. I do not jump much at all so this isn't the problem.

Any advice on what to do and what difference I'll notice by doing it?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Until recently, it was generally agreed that, if you have the Fox Podium Shocks, the best improvement you could make was to replace the stock springs with progressives from MakinTrax, as many of us did. They made a night-and-day difference in suspension action and handling. However Steve, the owner of MakinTrax, has disappeared from the scene and, apparently, is no longer a source of springs and replacement shocks and, unfortunately, nobody else has come up with anything quite as good. I think everyone is hoping that he'll get back into business again, as he offered superlative products and service. My two-bits...........

Cheers

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I sent him an email a week or two ago and never got a response - that explains it lol

What about the Racer Tech 2" lift with RZR S Fox Podium Dual Rate Replacement Spring Kit?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
A lift generally makes your ride stiffer not smoothier. Have you messed around with the preload at all with the Podiums?

It depends how much you would like to spend. If you can some nice walker evans shocks will help or you can try a dual rate spring for less.

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
I recently did an upgrade w racer tech springs. definiitely a lot better and swingarm gave me an amazing deal on them that I could not pass up. I still bottom out but not nearly as much or as harsh as it did. Im sure I could crank on it some more to get a little more height though.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lift generally makes your ride stiffer not smoothier. Have you messed around with the preload at all with the Podiums?

It depends how much you would like to spend. If you can some nice walker evans shocks will help or you can try a dual rate spring for less.
I have not adjusted the preload or the dial on them.

I was thinking to soften the ride I'd have to take the preload out, which would cause it to sit lower. So that's why I was thinking of adding the 2" lift. Plus I've added a custom DG cage and other accessories to add a little weight to it causing it to not be as high as a bone stock S.

If I put the 2" lift on it, would I have to take even more preload out to get the softer ride - putting me back in the same situation of the same ground clearance?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recently did an upgrade w racer tech springs. definiitely a lot better and swingarm gave me an amazing deal on them that I could not pass up. I still bottom out but not nearly as much or as harsh as it did. Im sure I could crank on it some more to get a little more height though.
I guess I imagined it would be more of a pillow top type ride while trail riding. I'm not sure if it's me bottoming the shocks out of them kicking that is causing it to not be as smooth as I expected. I mostly trail ride in KY/TN on the mountains so I'm not really racing or jumping but I would like to cruise down the trails at a fast pace and still have a semi soft ride.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i have hawk progressive springs and my stock sachs shocks and it rides great!!!!! you can get them any color you want too same price

·
Registered
5,685 Posts

I have not adjusted the preload or the dial on them.

I was thinking to soften the ride I'd have to take the preload out, which would cause it to sit lower. So that's why I was thinking of adding the 2" lift. Plus I've added a custom DG cage and other accessories to add a little weight to it causing it to not be as high as a bone stock S.

If I put the 2" lift on it, would I have to take even more preload out to get the softer ride - putting me back in the same situation of the same ground clearance?
Go with new springs...racer tech or hawk progressives.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

On the topic of the lifts... would you not recommend going with one of these lift kits?

·
Premium Member
22,918 Posts
No they will not be the exact same the part numbers will start with UTV ..... otherwise they will be the same coil, spring rate and color ...we have sent funds and are air freighting our first couple of hundred springs in so we should have them in a week our two tops ...

·
Registered
5,685 Posts

On the topic of the lifts... would you not recommend going with one of these lift kits?
The progressive springs are a game changer...I would suggest to go with these and see how you like it. They will add a litle more ground clearance and give you that more plush ride you are looking for. If you need a lift kit after these you can still use the springs with the kit.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The progressive springs are a game changer...I would suggest to go with these and see how you like it. They will add a litle more ground clearance and give you that more plush ride you are looking for. If you need a lift kit after these you can still use the springs with the kit.
Good deal, I really appreciate the advice. I wasn't sure if there was a draw back to these lift kits - ex.: making something weaker, hurting the ride performance, etc.

With the Progressive springs I've read some like to unhook their sway bar and others don't. Is this solely due to the people like unhooking them because they are on more flat terrain than the ones that don't like to hook the sway bar?

I would think you'd get a better ride without the sway bar but on hills and fast/tight turns it would be better to have the sway bay attached.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts