Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the folks at Spark's Racing for my new 1110 Turbo engine .. .. :clap:

Finished the install late Friday night -- Only 1 issue. Installing in a 1000 machine I prefer to use the coolant hose from the water pump to the cylinder from the 900. The 900 neck is included -- Not the coolant hose. The 1000 hose works -- The 900 hose works as designed.

Saturday morning --- Fired up for the 1st time. Initial impression .. .. At how quiet this engine is from the stock engine. I'm Stoked !!

1st outing Saturday after the weather cleared up -- 2 hours -- 17.6 miles -- Max speed 27 MPH -- Max Boost 14 PSI. Very slow Dune Cruse. Initial impressions:

This engine is QUIET -- In part to perhaps the twin Turbo cams -- 1.5 points lower in compression and 11% larger displacement -- Have I mentioned at how quiet this engine is .. .. :rofl3:

I've designed a bed delete for my machine. The Turbo is just below my right shoulder. At slow speed Dunning -- She's an absolute pleasure - Considering the audible noise -- Crack the throttle a hair ...... And It's like a lightning bolt struck next to both ears -- She Barks ...... And pulls like a Freight Train -- -- Damn near better than SEX .. .. :rofl3:

Only had a basic fuel tune in Her -- What an easy engine to tune -- -- After the 2 hour test -- Reviewed the data log and made a few fuel corrections and adjusted for more fuel at startup. Now -- She lights off at the touch of the key -- Cold or Hot. What a Sweet Heart .. .. :)

I've made several video's and have them on my Channel - I'll just post this one as it represents where I'm at with the machine today and shows both the motor and vehicle.

Thanks Fellows -- I'm A Happy Customer .. .. :)

:ride:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome machine. Any updates?
850 miles on the motor -- 16 PSI of Boost on Gas. I've just made the switch to alcohol/ethanol. Amazing how the alcohol cools down the charged air intake.

I monitor the charged air temp using the factory TMAP. On gas I read 131 degrees - General dunning. Work the engine and the temp goes up from there.

On alcohol I read 105 degrees and when I work the motor it drops like a rock -- Down to 79 degrees.

From the installation of the Turbo System I've fought an ignition issue - Ultimately loosing fire to 1 cylinder. In an effort to permanently resolve I built a Smart Coil ignition system -- Pic:

Working with a company who had an issue on supplying me with a standalone ECU -- I had to resolve my initial ignition failure. Isolating the issue and making temp repairs I ran then stock for several hundred miles until I found a company supplying a C.O.P. ignition conversion package. Pic of the conversion on my machine:

Currently back to the stock ignition as the manufacturer is rectifying a manufacturing issue I had with that kit. Should be resolved next week and this issue I've been plagued with can be finally put to bed.

As to the engine -- Rock Solid .. .. Not one issue.

Couple of parting pic's to help illustrate as this machine is strictly a Sand Machine .. .. Launch:

Cresting climbing a tall Dune:

Just an absolute FUN Dune Machine .. .. :)

:drive1:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Very cool ride. Sparks engines are awesome. Very interested in the stand alone ecu. Is it fuel and spark control?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dennis --

If your only interested in just fuel and spark control -- Then the PCV-PTi would serve you well.

If on the other hand you wish full engine control -- Then a standalone is the solution.

The company I was working with has adapted the AEM Infinity to the 1000. This is not a direct plug-n-play swap as it uses a proprietary custom short harness made by AEM to interface the Infinity to the factory wiring harness. At this time I don't recommend this solution as I had an issue dealing with the company and AEM won't work direct with the customer -- Just thru their dealer network.

And the latest update from my outing yesterday. As I previously stated -- I've just made the switch to alcohol (Sunday). 1st tank was appx. 60/40 mix alcohol/fuel. Built a tune/refined it for Sunday's outing. All well and good.

Went out yesterday and threw in another 5 gal of alcohol -- Also turned up the Boost slightly -- And rebuilt the tune for this alcohol mixture and went lean at the upper RPM/Boost range. I've plenty of injector -- And in looking at the A/T temp map the injector pulse is much to wide. This is a clear indication of the fuel pump now maxed out on fuel flow.

Next dry day here is Saturday -- I'll turn down the Boost to the lowest setting and re-evaluate as there isn't a direct replacement higher volume fuel pump available.

If I can't resolve this issue -- I'll go back to gas.

Probable more than you wanted to know Dennis .. .. .. But that's my story.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
I like it. The never ending quest for power. There is a system that we are using in our group that injects alcohol through an additional injector with stand alone pump. This is on a turbo 1k. It has worked great for a year. It is set to spray when it sees boost. I have the pcv setup now, and would like to completely eliminate the stock ecm at some point if someone comes up with a good closed loop system

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3 wheeler days -- Brings back memories !!

In the late 70's I started building on the Honda 90 and then the 110 3 wheeler.

Went to Pauter Machine in Chula Vista for their 3" over tube frame -- Then went with Powerall's 130 engine kit out of Oregon. Also converted the thumb throttle to twist.

When I was done I took the stock machine from 29 MPH to 65 MPH at Pismo -- And this was during the time one could go all the way down to Devils Slide. No issue going up with the modified machine .......... Yea -- Those were Good Times !!

Hey Dennis --

It may seem like I'm chasing HP ......... Actually I'm not. Alcohol is cheap and has other benefits such as cooling and a higher octane rating than gas.

I was perfectly happy at 16 PSI of Boost on pump gas -- But I did have to blend in an octane booster and this raised the cost per gallon. Alcohol on the other hand is less than half the cost.

Looks like I'll have to go back to gas as I've not found a higher flow fuel pump solution -- And I'm ok with that .. .. Unless Brandon has my solution .. .. :question:

I've gone the method you've suggested many years ago and I really don't want a repeat. I know technology has progressed and todays water/meth injection systems are much better. I much prefer to keep it clean and simple.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tim .. .. :beer3:

I don't post much anymore -- Really don't have anything constructive to offer .. .. Not like the Old Days when all of us were searching .. .. .. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HP -- I've a calculated figure but no local dyno to verify.

The goal for this build was to run Pump Gas using a spare turbo I had from another project. I could turn up the Boost - But at 16 PSI I'm satisfied with no issues.

I did try alcohol -- That opened up a can of worms -- Back to Pump Gas.

I not only enjoy the HP this combination makes -- But also the torque. And this is really evident as I have the clutch setup to run street or high speed desert which is just the opposite of a clutch running the sand -- Where this machine now lives.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.