Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 800 trail that started making a horrendous clicking noise on the right rear. Mt son ran along side down a hill no engine in neutral and he said CV shaft was bad. I agreed and replaced it, That noise went away but we could hear the noise on the left side also but not as bad so we replaced the left rear cv axle. The noise was still there. If I was coasting down the hill no power you could hear it easily. I just covered the brake pedal with my foot and the noise went away. I decided to search here for clicking sound that everyone thought was a cv joint. Guess what I found? Well I did the adjustment today and the right rear took 16 one quarter turns to tighten and the other three took 13. Backed of 3/4 of a turn instead of 1/2. Going riding tomorrow I am sure the problem is solved now. Oh well at least I know my rear axles are good for several years.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,271 Posts
I think we've all been there done that with something
Thanks for posting the solution.(y)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes adjusted the allen head screw on the brakes. I have a 2016 900 as well and they were way off also but had not heard any noise from them. I also just learned about greasing the wheel bearings so have ordered the tool to do this also on both. I have snowmobiled for 45 years and am new to ATV world. These things are maintenance pigs compared to a sled

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an 2012 800 and just did the bearings and brake pads. I don't recall an "adjustment" on the brakes. ???
On the backside of the caliper not wheel side there is an allen head bolt/screw. Jack up your rig put it in neutral and turn the screw in until the wheel quits turning. Then back the screw of 1/2 turn I did 3/4 turn make sure your wheel turns freely and move on to the next one. Count your turns in mine were 13 to 16 1/4 turns to get the wheel to stop turning. Let me know what yours takes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay, I understand. I did that. Didn't consider that an adjustment. When the pads wear do you have to check it again? You need to back that out to facilitate removing the pads. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Okay, I understand. I did that. Didn't consider that an adjustment. When the pads wear do you have to check it again? You need to back that out to facilitate removing the pads. Thanks for the clarification.
They recommend adjusting as they wear. Personally I never do. It can help with brake noises though if you keep them adjusted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the brake noise makes you think you have a CV axle going out. Or at least it did me

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on that issue. Sorry it was an expensive lesson for you. Next time talk to the forum BEFORE you start replacing parts. I've found these guys to be very helpful.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hmm, so my son went to load our 2009 800 in the trailer. Heard a pop and found this:

Broke the caliper attach lug off the spindle. Been a problem for a while. The holder pin was gouged by the disk. Not sure if the adjustment was loose. Did check the adjustment on the other side.

Installed a regular bolt with the sealing washers to plug the banjo. Operational for the weekend. But will keep an eye on it. Ordered parts off ebay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
40 years ago we said ride them for a day work on them for 6 days about snowmobiles. Now you put gas and oil in them and ride all season do a little preventative maintenance in the spring and you are good to go for the next season. I now use that saying for these.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just got the new caliper and spindle and found this when I pulled the wheel. My wife said she heard a clunking last ride after I plugged the brake line. The caliper pin was rubbed by the disk. Not sure if it was jammed or just riding on it. By the looks of the damage, thinking the hub started cracking out and began spinning at an angle causing push stress on the caliper.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Be a great time to upgrade to steel hubs. When I did mine I found em on ebay cheaper than buying new aluminum hubs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts