Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Here is a link to the issue at hand on this forum (scroll down to Public Land Advocacy or click:

http://www.rzrforums.net/public-lands-advocacy/33447-blm-announces-open-house-scheduled-havasu-travel-management-planning.html )

I'm posting the link here and more info cuz I think this sub-category gets alot of eyeballs.

Here is also an email I got from my Realtor:

3-4 years ago BLM requested from the local clubs to
assist them with acquiring all the GPS coordinates to
all the trails located in Havasu. They told us it
was to "protect us from loosing our public land."
The local clubs gladly accepted using their own GPS
units and off road vehicles to drive BLM
representatives through every trail in Havasu. This
was all volunteer BLM did not financially assist
anyone with this.

Two days ago BLM held a meeting to close most of the
off road trails in Lake Havasu City. They did not
advertise until two days before that they were having
a meeting, in the middle of August when most of our
residence (winter visitors) would not be in town.
They pushed the already set meeting from November to
August without notifying us and probably hoped no one
would show up. Local clubs found out about the
meeting and showed up for the meeting only to find
that they were giving us 30 days to "justify" why
they should keep the trails open. The maps they
provided were poor topo maps that had no GIS features
on them what so ever (no streets, land marks or any
other identifying marks). We were unable to
determine what or where the trails were due to there
being no GPS coordinates on the trail identifiers.
We also asked them to identify why the identified
trails were being closed and they could not provide
us that information. When we asked them how to
obtain that information so we could go justify trails
that need to stay open they told us it would take "60-
90 days to figure that out and they were not even
sure if they could get us the information that we
need to justify keeping our trails open. Mind you we
only have 30 days to do this, did I mention the
average temperature has been around 115-120 out here
in Havasu during the time we have to complete this?

We need all the help we can get, this ALL of OUR
public land that we pay taxes to use and we are very
close to loosing. This effects everyone, from the
family who is riding bikes, quads, and side by sides
to the hunter who is out trying harvest an animal on
his/her dream hunt. What about the nature watcher or
the geo-cacher? It affects us all, even the economy
here in Havasu. Local gas stations, convenience
stores, auto repair shops, off road shops,
fabrication shops, motor cycle shops, etc.

Is there anyway you can forward this email link to
your members, family and friends? Pirate4X4.com is
assisting us by putting up a letter generator. What
this does is it makes extremely simple for anyone to
send Havasu BLM an email to let them know that they
need to extend the Travel Management Plan from 30
days to more. All you have to do is click on the
link and take one minute out of your day to let BLM
know how you feel in your own words. This letter
generator was set up from the same guys who helped
save the Rubicon and they have offered to help us.

Go here: Pirate4x4.com Land Use - Letter Generator

Fill out the info here is an example of what I put in
the letter.

Dear Local On The Ground,

I am writing to ask you to extend the comment and
review period for the Havasu Travel Management Plan
for 60 days beyond September 17. This additional time
is important for proper review of the information and
maps. for this process to be handled appropriately,
everyone needs ample time to do a thorough study to
make reasonable decisions instead of rushing because
of a short timeline. An extended timeline will
benefit everyone involved.

Sincerely,
Shane Miller
Parker 4 Wheelers

Forward this to everyone you know cause it effects us
all.

Pirate4x4.com Land Use - Letter Generator
-------------------------------------------------------------

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the real deal. We are turning into California. Apparently, there has been NO local outcry causing this issue. It's just BLM pulling it out of there a$$.

This is important for those of us that liver here FULL TIME, SNOW BIRDS, and ALL OFFROADERS (this is like cancer and will creep over to you).

PLEASE SEND A LETTER!!! Look at the links provided on last post and please do something........

(By the way, there is no need to send a letter asking for an extension. It's already been given)

I will be going to the local field office here in havasu to politely raise hell. You could even go to a BLM office in your neck of the woods to raise a stink about this, too (BLM is a nationwide, federal agency). Like I said, in a way, this doesn't just affect us in Havasu.

I'll post more when I get more.

Here's that link again:

http://www.rzrforums.net/public-lands-advocacy/33447-blm-announces-open-house-scheduled-havasu-travel-management-planning.html

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you click on the Pirate 4x4 Letter Generator above, it makes it REALLY easy to fire off a quick letter. Please do so.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
This is the real deal. We are turning into California. Apparently, there has been NO local outcry causing this issue. It's just BLM pulling it out of there a$$.

This is important for those of us that liver here FULL TIME, SNOW BIRDS, and ALL OFFROADERS (this is like cancer and will creep over to you).

PLEASE SEND A LETTER!!! Look at the links provided on last post and please do something........

(By the way, there is no need to send a letter asking for an extension. It's already been given)

I will be going to the local field office here in havasu to politely raise hell. You could even go to a BLM office in your neck of the woods to raise a stink about this, too (BLM is a nationwide, federal agency). Like I said, in a way, this doesn't just affect us in Havasu.

I'll post more when I get more.

Here's that link again:

http://www.rzrforums.net/public-lands-advocacy/33447-blm-announces-open-house-scheduled-havasu-travel-management-planning.html
Hmmmmmmm...California sets the Tone for the rest of the Nation...

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
The comment period has been extended to October 31st.

Please read that whole thread these guys have been through this same exact thing before they have all kinds of help and ideas on how to write the letter.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909456

Where we are REALLY going to need help is when it comes time to comment on each trail, you have to in writing tell them the trails you use and how you use them, you can just about figure that any trail not commented on will be CLOSED!

Again read that above thread for tips and tricks to make your letter COUNT.

Last email I got from the BLM they had over 700 letters to reply to, KEEP THEM BUSY if they want to close our riding areas let them earn it.

Looking at the maps they could be closing a LOT of trails if we dont speak up and say something but we have to say it in the right way for it to count.

Thanks.

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone who sees this, please join the facebook page:

Save Havasu OHV access!

This is a good way for all the trail users to be known as one group, instead of dirtbike riders over here, jeepers over there, and so on...........

Please join up!!!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Anyone who sees this, please join the facebook page:

Save Havasu OHV access!

This is a good way for all the trail users to be known as one group, instead of dirtbike riders over here, jeepers over there, and so on...........

Please join up!!!
Hope your not pouring all your energy into facebook I dont do that and know I am not the only one. I signed up and had about 40 morons I didnt even know trying to be my friend so its now history:rofl3:

·
Rzr spy
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I thought those 40 were really my friends! Oh well!

No, I spend very little time looking at FB, but Rick Mooneyham's page is worthwhile if you already have a FB account (I'm not asking anyone to start a FB account).

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Oh, I thought those 40 were really my friends! Oh well!

No, I spend very little time looking at FB, but Rick Mooneyham's page is worthwhile if you already have a FB account (I'm not asking anyone to start a FB account).

Cool thanks, I could not delete my account fast enough I was getting flooded by countless mindless email notifications, every time some mutt replied something like "x2" they sent me a email to let me know:rofl3: the annoyances outweighed the usefulness by many times over.

Thanks for all you do and the frequent updates.:)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
the land nazi diane fienstein closed a lot of mojave red rock to us in cali and left it open for mountain bikers, who then procced to ride off trail everyware cus they thought they were green with there harmless bicycles,now its fenced off to every one and wont be back to the condition us evil offroaders had it in for about 100 years. by the way she came out with press to call offroaders evil at the closeure but never followed up with story about her mountain biker friends ffin every thing up

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
the land nazi diane fienstein closed a lot of mojave red rock to us in cali and left it open for mountain bikers, who then procced to ride off trail everyware cus they thought they were green with there harmless bicycles,now its fenced off to every one and wont be back to the condition us evil offroaders had it in for about 100 years. by the way she came out with press to call offroaders evil at the closeure but never followed up with story about her mountain biker friends ffin every thing up
We (OHV group) needs to get more proactive and smarter we should have a endless campaign to OPEN or create NEW trails and trails systems not fight closures.

I am sick and tired of seeing these so called environmentalist demonizing OHVers you read their complaints and for the most part its all a bunch of shit.

You see trail damage pictures and there is in fact damage but if you look at the big picture its 100' of damaged trail out of thousands of miles of trails, and if you look at the bigger picture and zoom out and look at the surrounding lands the damage is meaningless when compared to what is happening naturally by mother nature, whole mountain ranges are being eroded away by mother nature their complaining about some ruts caused by OHV's, it sells well many buy their BS, more often than not these legitimate sounding complaints goes unchallenged.

99% of their complaints against OHV's is completely pointless but they word it so if your the average American after reading their spew you thinks OHV's are BAD, most people dont think for themselves they are lead around by these environmentalist and believe everything they say without question, the only way we could ever fight this is with a HUGE educational program to deprogram the general public that has been brainwashed by the environmentalist, for some reason the average person thinks a environmentalist is a honest hard working person, my findings are they are the most unethical dishonest group of people on this earth.

The OHVers are NOT squeaky clean we all know this their are some that make OHV's look BAD as the environmentalist claim, I have been witness to this hundreds of times, their is never a lack of respect for the environment ANYPLACE I GO, I am sure everybody has seen the same things I have seen.

We need to police our own, I do, I have almost been in fist fights over telling some moron to pick up the garbage I just witnesses them throw on the ground, never a shortage of abuse to signs gun owners have to pull out their gun and shoot signs? WTF hard for me to defend keeping my guns when every where you go some mutt has shot up a public sign.

Been in fights with morons that insist on doing about 30 doughnuts in the parking lot right before they pull their quads on the trailer to leave, I guess they need to leave their mark or something, then the park rangers make a damage report that goes right to the monthly meetings they attend, telling how they had to go get a tractor and a drag to smooth out the lot, makes ALL OHVers look bad.

I have spent countless hours talking to park officals I make it a point where ever I go if I see a land offical of any kind I spend time talking to them listening to all their complaints, most the time their is no defending the complaints all I can do is apoligize for the behaviour of people I dont even know, you should hear some of the stories that has closed trails its some really mindless stuff that may have been fun for someone for about 10 minutes but has closed trails off to the rest of us forever.

The majority of the complaints about OHV's I have heard in the past 40+ years of off roading was noise complaints, I have been to public meetings when someone is trying to open private riding parks and you listen to dozens of local land owners stand up and give a 10 min speech on OHV noise might sound cool to you and your friends but its just nails in the OHV access coffin, means trail closures.

I could write a book on the complaints land officials have relayed to me over the years, I have found many rangers are environmentalist themselves so amplify any complaints they receive when they go to monthly meetings they are their bad mouthing OHVers and were not their to soften the blow.

Its a shame that so few people in just a few minutes can do so much damage to such a large group, simple things like not leaving your camping or parking area cleaner than you found it leaves a image that last a life time in park rangers eyes, throwing your trash out along the trail (Pack It In Pack It Out!)

I have found the majority of OHVers to be very responsible and respectful where they ride it only takes a few to send a BAD message.

Ok off my soap box lmao

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Up here where I do most of my riding...WE are in the process of opening another ohv riding area...Its just chatter for now, but that does give the tree huggers something else to cry about and spend there money..and does take there time and money away from closing our land down...every-one should try and open more of our land up..Any-way when I go to the meeting to open land up...I always bring up the safety issues about access closure's..When they close off the trail and roads...first and foremost our fire fighters our put in more danger for not being able to access our forest fires. It makes there job less safer...It also does help protect the pot growers and meth makers...gives them way-more privacy to do there illegal activity...Some-times I feel thats who they are looking out for...
The way things grow up here if the road or trail is just closed for a short time..It will be overgrown and useless..thats why I do my best to keep em open up here..and try to ride every-where.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Up here where I do most of my riding...WE are in the process of opening another ohv riding area...Its just chatter for now, but that does give the tree huggers something else to cry about and spend there money..and does take there time and money away from closing our land down...every-one should try and open more of our land up..Any-way when I go to the meeting to open land up...I always bring up the safety issues about access closure's..When they close off the trail and roads...first and foremost our fire fighters our put in more danger for not being able to access our forest fires. It makes there job less safer...It also does help protect the pot growers and meth makers...gives them way-more privacy to do there illegal activity...Some-times I feel thats who they are looking out for...
The way things grow up here if the road or trail is just closed for a short time..It will be overgrown and useless..thats why I do my best to keep em open up here..and try to ride every-where.

If you dont mind me asking what is the process to open more lands for riding?

·
Registered
166 Posts
This is good...let's get everyone on board. I own property in LHC and this is part of my recreational activity when I am there. In about a year, I plan to be a full time winter resident. I have fired off a letter...and I hope everyone else does, too.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This is good...let's get everyone on board. I own property in LHC and this is part of my recreational activity when I am there. In about a year, I plan to be a full time winter resident. I have fired off a letter...and I hope everyone else does, too.
To be effective you need to fire off more than one letter.

Their is going to be a letter writing seminar soon it gives all the details on how to write a letter that will be effective, here is the info I got by email
Havasu Springs will be hosting a comment writing workshop on Thursday September 9th from 6-8 pm. This workshop will give you the knowledge to write an effective comment that will get results that can not be ignored by BLM. So please forward this email to your friends, family and business owners so everyone can take part in keeping our public lands public. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Havasu Springs is located at:
2581 Arizona 95
Parker, AZ 85344-8701
(928) 667-1073

Shane Miller
Parker 4 Wheelers
Secretary
[email protected]
928-230-6091

Follow us on Facebook: Save Havasu OHV access! | Facebook

I am 1800 miles away so I cant attend the workshop he is going to send me the power point presentation he is going to use at the workshop then I will post it all over the web so others can download.

As already advised I plan on writing one letter per trail telling why I want the trail to remain open and what I use the area for.

If you download the KMZ files from the BLM site and load them into Google Earth THEIR IS NO ATV TRAILS only motorcycle cars and trucks!!!!
Did you notice this?

The updated maps and google earth files are here Havasu TMP Maps & Documentation

I sent a email asking where the ATV trails are waiting for a reply, I suggest everybody else sent a email asking where the ATV trails are or were getting closed out for GOOD!

Have you read this Offroading Home: NEW: Havasu BLM Trail Closures

BLM email [email protected]

Thanks

·
Public Lands Advocate
1,335 Posts
If you dont mind me asking what is the process to open more lands for riding?
Here’s an example from Wisconsin . . . http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cfa/lr/atv/BuildATVTrail.pdf

Here's the way it is supposed to be done in Arizona . . . Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Program: Mission

Here WAS the BLM's position . . . Off Highway Use Vehicle (OHV) use of the BLM Administered Public Lands

"The historic use of the public lands for recreation and development of natural resources has resulted in a system of roads and trails that is, in most cases, adequate for reasonable public access for both recreational and authorized resource uses. Most recreational OHV use should be confined to these existing roads and trails.

Existing roads and trails should remain open for public use unless the continued use of a specific road or trail is determined to be a significant threat to an endangered species or cultural resources, or damaging to important wildlife habitat, vegetation or soils on the land which the road or trail traverses.

Closure of existing roads or trails should be done in the context of the BLM land use planning process with full public involvement, and appropriate closures should be visibly signed on the ground and marked on public land maps.

There are certain valid reasons for vehicle operation off existing roads and trails. These include: -

permittees and leasees needing to carry out their authorized activities, -

resource managers needing to conduct management activities like resource studies and projects, -

emergencies workers for rescue activities and wildfire fighting, and -

recreational activities by handicapped people.

Two situations warrant the creation of new roads and trails: -

New roads are commonly necessary for resource uses like mining development and timber harvest. When these operations are finished, the roads should be closed and the land reclaimed unless the BLM determines that the roads are appropriate for inclusion into the public access or transportation plan for the area. -

There is the need for some public land areas where OHV recreational vehicle use can be managed as the dominate use, such as on the sand dunes in the Southern California Desert or some of the sites in Arizona that have set aside for dirt bike and motorcycle hill climbing. These are legitimate recreational pursuits and they need to have what many would call sacrifice sites or areas where this type of activity can occur with little regard to the impact on other resources.

The BLMs new National Strategy for Motorized Off-Highway Vehicle Use on Public Lands provides new emphasis on managing OHV use and a framework for planning and managing OHV use on public lands in coordination with local publics and local government and in cooperation with the OHV user groups. PLF recommends that this Strategy be implemented."

Here are the U.S. Department of Transportation’s guidelines for all trails and links to various resources . . . http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/rectrails/manuals.htm

1 - 20 of 35 Posts