Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if I am one of the lucky ones...
I have a 2022 pxp and have had it for about 3 weeks with just over 500 miles of fast trail riding. I was worried about the belt slip issue but thankfully have not experienced that. Pulls hard all the way through till it hits limiter at 84mph
What are your guys thoughts on the Hunterworks primary washer? I watched the explanation video and everything Todd says, makes sense.
Should I get it just in case? Or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
500 miles in 3 weeks - Now that is impressive! I have run OEM clutch with sand tires with paddles and/or Method 14s7 405's with Tensor 32's for 1,500 hard miles with no issues. Also ran STM clutch (primary and secondary) for 550 miles +/- - all sand - worked awesome, until it sheered off all 9 bolts holding the secondary together - they rebuilt under warranty - but never figured out why it happened - they said they had only seen that a couple of times in 15 years, so not a typical issue. Regardless they were great to deal with. I put OEM primary and secondary back in while STM was getting redone and have just left it in there - running 15x7 Methods and Tensor 32's since sand season is over for us (too hot).

Have not run the Hunterworks primary washer and have not had any issues with OEM set up. Seems pretty bullet proof.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
500 miles in 3 weeks - Now that is impressive! I have run OEM clutch with sand tires with paddles and/or Method 14s7 405's with Tensor 32's for 1,500 hard miles with no issues. Also ran STM clutch (primary and secondary) for 550 miles +/- - all sand - worked awesome, until it sheered off all 9 bolts holding the secondary together - they rebuilt under warranty - but never figured out why it happened - they said they had only seen that a couple of times in 15 years, so not a typical issue. Regardless they were great to deal with. I put OEM primary and secondary back in while STM was getting redone and have just left it in there - running 15x7 Methods and Tensor 32's since sand season is over for us (too hot).

Have not run the Hunterworks primary washer and have not had any issues with OEM set up. Seems pretty bullet proof.
That's good to hear! Why did you switch out the OEM with stm In the first place?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
That's good to hear! Why did you switch out the OEM with stm In the first place?

Got car - put 150 miles on it - got stop ride from Polaris for clutch's blowing up - no ETA when you could get a new one - did not want to wait for new OEM clutch so I bought an STM and was riding a week later - so had new OEM primary and original secondary in box ready to go.

Also note my car has been EVO tuned (stage 3 - 91 octane) since 150 mile mark - so it has had extra power to deal with as well. Like noted above - no belt issue either.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got car - put 150 miles on it - got stop ride from Polaris for clutch's blowing up - no ETA when you could get a new one - did not want to wait for new OEM clutch so I bought an STM and was riding a week later - so had new OEM primary and original secondary in box ready to go.

Also note my car has been EVO tuned (stage 3 - 91 octane) since 150 mile mark - so it has had extra power to deal with as well. Like noted above - no belt issue either.
Makes sense. Comforting to hear you have had good luck with the clutches

·
Vendor
305 Posts
Fred900,

Do you know your current peak RPM? Our clutch kits greatly increase belt grip and when properly set up will gain much of the lost RPM/acceleration back to the vehicle.

We have seen a great number of spark plug issues on the Pro XP models. They just run flat in the area you are talking. Change plugs out and they come alive. We run/sell the CR9EIX and have seen them last longer than the OEM plugs. This can result in some clutch tuning issues trying to lighten the weights up to achieve proper peak RPM.

Most of these systems use the thinner .090" shim, so our .130 shim I developed first for these models is suggested. Some came with a nearly .140" shim from the factory but it is rare and odd they are not consistent by any means.

-Mike

·
Vendor
305 Posts
Ok, I'll get the Plugs. What shim are you talking about, the spark plug shim? If I order the plugs from you the proper shim will be installed?
The shim I was speaking of is for the primary clutch to prevent over shift mentioned earlier in this thread. Plugs are just drop in and go. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
STM? 🤔
I had a bad OEM clutch (stop ride 2020) so I bought a STM Rage 3 Primary and STM Secondary for my 2020 Pro XP 4 so I did not have to wait on Polaris for a new primary - it was installed and tuned by Jeffries Performance and was awesome - shifted like butter - great take up and overall worked great, was very happy with it and the performance. At about 550 miles (all in the dunes) I had a failure - all 9 bolts holding the sheves of the secondary together sheared off.

Car had EVO magnum exhaust, charge tube, BOV and stage 3 tune (91 octane gas tune), all done at the same time by Jeffries performance. Running 30" paddles and no I am not a drag racer, maybe 3 total launches from new.

I pulled both the primary and seconary off and put the OEM stuff back on. Sent the secondary back to STM - they said they had only seen that happen a few times in 15 years, did not know why it happened. It was outside warranty but they replaced all the parts related to the failure at no cost to me (and paid for shipping both ways) - they cleaned up the sheeves and offered to replace any other internal parts that showed wear (parts at my cost) so I had that done - they shipped back to me - for $190 I have a brand new secondary (all internals replaced) - could not have been happier with how they handled it. I just sent the primary in to have them go through it as well. Looking forward to having them go back in for dunes season.

·
Registered
2021 polaris turbo S 4 velocity blue
97 Posts
I had a bad OEM clutch (stop ride 2020) so I bought a STM Rage 3 Primary and STM Secondary for my 2020 Pro XP 4 so I did not have to wait on Polaris for a new primary - it was installed and tuned by Jeffries Performance and was awesome - shifted like butter - great take up and overall worked great, was very happy with it and the performance. At about 550 miles (all in the dunes) I had a failure - all 9 bolts holding the sheves of the secondary together sheared off.

Car had EVO magnum exhaust, charge tube, BOV and stage 3 tune (91 octane gas tune), all done at the same time by Jeffries performance. Running 30" paddles and no I am not a drag racer, maybe 3 total launches from new.

I pulled both the primary and seconary off and put the OEM stuff back on. Sent the secondary back to STM - they said they had only seen that happen a few times in 15 years, did not know why it happened. It was outside warranty but they replaced all the parts related to the failure at no cost to me (and paid for shipping both ways) - they cleaned up the sheeves and offered to replace any other internal parts that showed wear (parts at my cost) so I had that done - they shipped back to me - for $190 I have a brand new secondary (all internals replaced) - could not have been happier with how they handled it. I just sent the primary in to have them go through it as well. Looking forward to having them go back in for dunes season.
Looking into aftermarket primaries as I have the stop ride on mine as well. The shearing is on the STM secondary?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts