Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need some help.
We are going to travel quite a bit and want to take our RZR800 and Dirt Bike.
We tow a full sized pick up with an 8' bed.
All of the RZR's that I have seen in a truck bed are too long.
Saw a full size pick up at Taylor Park with a custom bed and billet boxes, that may be a solution.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
455 Posts
Re: Idea's,Motorhome towing truck with RZR800 in the bed and Dirt bike on the truck h

How big is your motorhome? Depending on your state (and where you are going) you might consider triple tow. I had a 30ft Allegro with a 454 Chevy Engine, we pulled a Jeep Wrangler behind it with a trailer behind the Jeep loaded with a Sportsman. You just have to watch your total length (and of course be sure your motorhome can pull it all).

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Re: Idea's,Motorhome towing truck with RZR800 in the bed and Dirt bike on the truck h

put the rzr in the pickup bed, build a tail gate for the pickup that when down will support the rzr, and still have room for a dirt bike loaded sideways.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The motorhome is a 42 foot tag axle so I have to watch my length.
I am evaluating a custom tailgate.
Keep the idea's coming.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts

Watch the front bumper you have. Many a front bumper has gone through a back window!

They make a custom rack that goes above the bed and you just drive the RZR up on it. That might be an option.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Put the dirt bike on a hitch carrier in front of the motorhome. Put a 2 inch receiver in so it is easily removable when you don't need it. Joe Hauler Motorcycle Carriers and Accessories The picture of the van on the bottom right corner shows it on the front.

Your motorhome will be tall enough that you can see over it no problem.

Then all you need to do is carry the RZR in your 8 foot truck bed.

Or if you have enough room you could put the dirt bike hitch carrier into the 2 inch receiver on your truck. I don't think you would have enough room because you are gonna need your tailgate down to get the rzr in the truck.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

Or, just leave the tail gate off

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Didn't think of the front hitch idea.
I think the RZR is too long to leave the tailgate off.
Do you know who makes the rack to raise the RZR higher?

·
Jack Daniels please..
203 Posts

How big is your motorhome? Depending on your state (and where you are going) you might consider triple tow. I had a 30ft Allegro with a 454 Chevy Engine, we pulled a Jeep Wrangler behind it with a trailer behind the Jeep loaded with a Sportsman. You just have to watch your total length (and of course be sure your motorhome can pull it all).
Where I live, "recreational double" can only be accomplished with a fifth wheel/goose-neck set-up..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Didn't think of the front hitch idea.
I think the RZR is too long to leave the tailgate off.
Do you know who makes the rack to raise the RZR higher?
I would not put the RZR any higher than the bed of the truck..... There is another post of a guy making a rack to carry the XP in the truck...it sits really high...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts

My RZR fits in my dodge 8th bed fine. I leave the tail gate off.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

My RZR fits in my dodge 8th bed fine. I leave the tail gate off.
So you could put the receiver rack in the truck.....but then were do you put the tailgate?? They are a pain to store without scratching them....especially when you are traveling around......

On the receiver hitch thing. I have seen lots of prices on them. make sure you shop around. You can get a good one for $150. Alot of them are overpriced.

Good luck with whatever setup you end up going with.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts

Well I pulled my 32 ft holiday trailer with my 08 King ranch super duty with my rzr in the bed tailgate down. no problem. many miles like that. I did move my propane bottles back and the electric tongue jack. So with your 8' bed on your truck you should have no problem with your rzr in the bed (behind your Motorhome). All you might want to buy is some tailgate supports from DG manufacturing. Forum vendor.
Ken

·
Registered
45 Posts

I have a half ton dodge and I'm going to build a light weight bed extender that plugs into my trailer receiver port and then buy me some of those heavy duty folding ramps. I'll just put my tailgate in the garage and leave it at home. It seems like everyone else is using the gate saver but personally I want to be able to drive into the truck bed and not worry about the tailgate collapsing since I'm 330lbs. plus I don't like the whole big vertical ramp idea either, It seems like a liability to have it up that high and I can't imagine all the wind it would catch.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Go to any of the motor home forums, and look for a product I think is called a cruiserlift. Hydraulic lift mounted to the motor home, then towing the truck. These things routinely haul big Harleys and Goldwings.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Go to any of the motor home forums, and look for a product I think is called a cruiserlift. Hydraulic lift mounted to the motor home, then towing the truck. These things routinely haul big Harleys and Goldwings.
Unfortunately all of these units I've found for hauling big bikes limit the towed vehicle GVW to 5000 lbs. Let me know if you find one that hauls more. This is why I'm interested; need room for more toys too!

Da Blue Toad:redrzr:

·
Registered
181 Posts

Some states only have a 60' overall length limit. I am a little over that with a 41' 3" MH and extended cab GMC PU with a 6' box. Even more with the tailgate down and the RZR or quad in the back. I have gone from IN to AZ several times with no problems though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Thanks for all of the input. That is a unique rig on top of the dodge.
I am leaning towards just leaving the tailgate on the truck and putting the dirt bike on the front.

Keep the idea's coming.

John

·
Registered
446 Posts

put the rzr in the bed of the truck and the dirt bike in the motor home if the motor home is big enough

1 - 20 of 24 Posts