Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please pardon the crude drawing. I priced all the parts to makre it and it would easily tie in to my existing snork set up. It would be air tight and only cost $65. It would be on the heavy side but you could adapt or lengthen to use any filter you want. anyone see why it wouldnt work? The tee's only come in a 6x6x4 but they make a 4x2 bushing which would work better for going into the snorkels.

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
Build it and they will come!

if it holds a filter correctly and doesn't let dust past the filter connection, it should work fine.
It doesn't matter if the housing is cheap plastic, tig welded metal, or gold plated as long as it functions well.

The only risk is that if it doesn't work, it could be an expensive experiment.

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is funny I have been thinking of doing the same thing using black ABS plastic sewer pipe.

Mike

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna build one anyway. The stock one doesnt seal well at the lid, the breather hose fitting wallowed out so I already replaced it. I think it's a good compromise for the mud croud too. It should be completely water proof.

·
Money Pit!!!!
28 Posts
I too didnt want to pay that much money for an airbox. My solution was simply to delete the factory airbox all together. I ran pipe from the intake boot all the way up underneath the roof and there is where my filter rides. Works good and looks good. Just a little extra noise at wot......

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too didnt want to pay that much money for an airbox. My solution was simply to delete the factory airbox all together. I ran pipe from the intake boot all the way up underneath the roof and there is where my filter rides. Works good and looks good. Just a little extra noise at wot......
I tried the same thing, at the same time I removed my clutch spacer the 2 days before a trip. One of them killed my low end power. I went ahead and put the air box and spacer back and it was fine. I know plp say that you dont lose any low end by removing the spacer and honestly I think it sorta pinched the intake a bit but it was horrible. I really like quet too... I'll try it , worth $65 and sounds like a fun little project

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well had some time and some cash today. It's longer than I expected but it shoud work. It could have easily been shortened 2-3 inches by modding the cleanout but It should be close to the same volume as the original air box as it sits.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Way-Good idea:ride:...You need to mount it to tranny...so it moves with engine and your connection to throttle body will not come apart...I was thinking of doing something similar....With a piece of 6" thin wall schedule 10-20 PVC pipe..put rubber cap on one end to access air filter....other end throttle body side use a 6x2 Bell Reducer...and than on the side of the 6" pipe Drill 2.5" hole for fresh air intake...than run that up to intake spot behind seat or go higher and snorkel it... Note: on your fresh are intake better to locate in different spot than stock spot.. The stock location engine and CVT always fighting to see which one gets the fresh air....When you get her done let us know the results...

Here is a pick of my $25.00 Junk-Yard air box W/3" fresh air intake...It takes up some bed space...but so far its the best one I have tried....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I already had it snorkeled so it's going back to the snorkeled location. Great idea about the thin walled, I'm working on a tranny mount now

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
almost done fit is better than expected. still plumbing the snorkel back on but it would have been easy to go through the bed. It's mounted to the tranny brace with a custom welded bracket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts