Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning the clutches today I noticed some debris from an old broken belt in the primary.
I turned the primary backward by hand to get it out.Turns out this is a really bad thing to do.
How do I know I didn't screw up the timing or break something?
I have not started the machine.
2018 xp1k
Im gonnna go puke now...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't think you will have any issues unless you spun it a lot. If you are worried you could pull the cam cover and the plug on the crank and check the timing marks all line up.

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR 1000 S
168 Posts
I'm really confused now. How does the drive belt and clutches control engine timing?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm really confused now. How does the drive belt and clutches control engine timing?
Primary is on the Crank shaft and the way the timing chain tensioner is its not designed to be spun backwards and it could jump timing causing an issue.

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR 1000 S
168 Posts
OK, next question. Which way is backwards when looking at the primary clutch?

·
Registered
21 Turbo S, 18 XPT Dynamix, 18 XP 1K
150 Posts
The only way I know to check it is pull the valve cover and verify timing marks on the cams and through the marks on the flywheel.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sounds like a stupid design.

I think I have spun mine both ways, everything seems fine. I'll just remember not to do it in the future.

Still doesn't make sense in my head but I'll take your word on it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Engine does NOT spin backwards when going in reverse that would be the job of the transmission.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Its only an issue if that unit has the stupid hydraulic cam chain tensioner.
I removed and replaced that crap design tensioner from my 900s soon after a bought the machine

·
Registered
614 Posts
Engine does NOT spin backwards when going in reverse that would be the job of the transmission.
Haha, another one of my stupid moments...let me go edit that 🤦🏽

·
Registered
302 Posts
Doesn’t the upper chain guide, and chain tensioner prevent that? I mean I guess I could see it get some slop. You would have to spin it several times I’d imagine. Thoughts? What models is this a possible issue on? Sorry not trying to highjack. It’s news to me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its only an issue if that unit has the stupid hydraulic cam chain tensioner.
I removed and replaced that crap design tensioner from my 900s soon after a bought the machine
I will check and see which tensioner my machine has in the morning.
The service manual I have shows both types of tensioner.
Hopefully I have the spring tensioner and not the hydraulic one .
I really don't want to pull the cover off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The tensioner is on the back side of the chain (Towards the back of the engine) while spinning toward the front side of the engine. So its design is to keep tension on the chain while it is rotating there will be a little slack created once the chain passes the cam gears. Spinning it backwards will cause the slack to move towards the gear causing the chain to skip. Not sure on the 900 but on my Turbo the gears are not very deeply cut so id say that increases the chances of this happening. I would remove the cam cover very easy to do and remove the crank position sensor align all your timing marks by spinning the engine counter clock wise and this will give you 100% peace of mind.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Haha, another one of my stupid moments...let me go edit that 🤦🏽
Some 2 stroke snowmobiles with Electronic reverse actually do spin the engine backwards for reverse.
My last snowmobile had the PERC system (Polaris Electronic reverse control) that worked that way

·
Registered
48 Posts
Some 2 stroke snowmobiles with Electronic reverse actually do spin the engine backwards for reverse.
My last snowmobile had the PERC system (Polaris Electronic reverse control) that worked that way
I did not know this but I have very little experience with two strokes besides my PDub 80

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
190 Posts
Best to check cause if you are wrong you could ruin engine.

Remove spark plugs.
Put a screw driver or a long piece of straight wire in PTO cylinder (cylinder closest to belt drive)
Remove CAM sensor (On passenger side of engine)
This next part is easier with 2 people.
Have one person Rotate engine counter clockwise using primary, do it slowly. Have other person look in CAM sensor hole for the mark.
If the timing is correct the screwdriver will be at TDC (the highest point) at the same time the CAM mark is in the center of the hole.

If you are not 100% sure you will need to remove valve cover and set timing. This requires a plate to put across the cam slots. Any plate will do as long as it fits. The rest of the procedure is in your service manual.

good luck... lesson learned.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Crazy it doesn’t mention this anywhere in the manual. Seems important enough. That said there is enough misinformation in that thing. Wouldn’t you get an error code if timing was off? At least if you had turned it in the past and had been running it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts