Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick info on the rzr

2012 900 xp
just had standard hi comp kit installed with steel g90 valves
had new timing chain installed

Issue:

Getting chain slap from timing chain... pretty sure the stock tensioner decided to retire (yes it was new no idea why they put a stock one in there with high comp engine mod)
I purchased an Alba racing tensioner and did not fix the issue.. still sounds like chain slap... It does not go away with rev...I do not want to rev it much at all just in case...

I pulled valve covers and ensured timing was correct and still had the issue..

I pulled cams .. re aligned them and no i am running into this issue..

When I put the intake cam gear on it has load pressure on it from the valves.... in other words it is slightly off and you use a wrench to get it aligned (its about 1/8-1/4 inch off) Once i get it aligned and put the tool in the slots in the rear i assemble the the gears.. I get the one bolt in but when I release the rear alignment tool from the slots the intake cam jumps the 1/4 inch throwing the alignment off...

I have tried holding the chain so when I rotate the cams (counter clockwise using primary clutch) it wont jump gear teeth. But when I get around the other side it pulls it out of alignment again..

The one time i got it together well... I put the alba tensioner in and it seemed like I still had slack... It just did not tighten it like i thought... Remember new timing chain with 10-30 hours max.

So is it common for the intake cam to have tension on it when aligned top dead center?

I am guessing I install the tensioner when I am all done and before I put on the valve cover.. I have watched rocky mountain atv assembly video several times... as well as partzilla.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Wayne

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
how would it jump with alba tensioner? line up the crank have intake cam gear off, put cam lock tool on, start chain from crankshaft, then exhaust cam gear, then you should now be able to install intake cam gear and start one bolt, snug the one bolt but dont tighten, now you should be able to install your alba tensioner, which one did you get? One you will manually tighten by hand the other is a automatic ractheting style tensioner?

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
where do you live?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Chain off cams gears off cams
Tensioner sucked in with key in it to hold it
Put plate on end of cams
Pull chain tight up to exhaust cam
Set exhaust gear in chain
Try to get exhaust marks lined up
You may have to move gear in different links to get it right. Keep chain tight from crank to exhaust gear
Put intake gear in chain and find sweet spot to get marks lined up. You may have to put wrench on intake cam to bolt the gear on
Chain should be tight from crank to exhaust to intake.
keep plate in
Release tensioner
Remove plate
All chain should be tight

always seems to take a couple times to get intake right with the tension the cam has on it and the way it rotates when you remove plate. B sure the tensioner releases. Sometimes they stick whenyou take the key out. Just wiggle it with screwdriver if it doesn’t release with the key

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I was able to reinstall the timing and got it all correct... got the alba tensioner to hold pressure.. started the motor... same damn ticking noise off the came chain side... I am thinking my issue may just be the new valves that were put in... starts fine... loud tick tick tick tick tick... give it gas gets louder and shuts down... next step is pulling the head unless any of you have an idea?? the one way starter is not the strongest... you think its possible the issue could be in that area??? I am pretty much back to squarer one... which is probably going to include disassembly..

·
Registered
795 Posts
just for poops and giggles.
pull the vc and run it without the cover just to see if you can notice if its something in the valve train.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just for poops and giggles.
pull the vc and run it without the cover just to see if you can notice if its something in the valve train.
Run it without the valve cover??? Cant say i have ever heard of that or done that.

·
Registered
795 Posts
you might get a little oil on you, but at least you'll have a better understanding on where the noise is coming from.
and JUST maybe, you may not to have disassemble it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea pretty sure I am not going to start the engine with the valve cover off.. I will just pull the head and inspect it..

·
Registered
795 Posts
no worries. i understand.
working for GM for 20+ yrs we would do it all the time, adjusting push rods. running without covers on their crappy 2.4's where they had constant rocker-standoff failures and snapping cams.
some of my best memories are running without front timing covers albeit briefly, and engine room tuning :)
GL

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Mozart....running it for a minute without the VC will just be a little messy , but way easier the pulling a head!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Could be your oil pump chain. During my rebuild I noticed it was hitting the case and caused a groove. The oil pump chain does not have a tensioner so you should always replace it during a rebuild. Unfortunately the only way to tell is to remove oil pan. If it need replaced it means splitting the case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts